Allow Earthshaker + Rampage to function

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darchon, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Shakerpaging even if enabled would not work in PoValor or any planar zone due to kite limits.

2. The Shade

The Shade Active Member

Might get Strike of Soulesked into the Planes/Norrath... poke that beehive at your own risk.

3. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

Ive spent years and years on this server building leveling and AAing my character, and you want to enable a cheatcode that will allow you to catch up to everyone else within a matter of hours?

Tuluvien likes this.
  4. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Darchon is right. The kite limits are like 25ish mobs. Not enough to proc enough times to kill the train. Even if it was, the 50 minute cool down on furious limits you to 25 kills per minute. Middling exp at best.

But that doesn't mean rampage is entirely useless. Dathor Hammer + Berserk + mighty strike + rampage against 30ish hoppers in DSP was about 10k damage.

5. Toomuch

Toomuch Member

I guess what I'm saying is that the 25 kite limit is part of the request/hope here.

And @pizza, how dare you call Torven a blatant cheater on live, he was and is way more reputable than that. Any kind of PBAE killing was just part of the game, he wasn't cheating.

The way I see it, is that it's as much of "cheating" as having an AFK 4th to boost your own EXP and give them free EXP, probably less so. It's just something that was part of TAKP. Furthermore, Shakerpaging has a bit of a barrier of entry, as it requires a fair number of AA's, as well as an Earthshaker, and a fair bit of coordination, and using some long cooldowns, an appropriate zone to try it in, etc, to even attempt it. Easy to screw up on a pull too, or if your gear isn't good enough, you could get rooted or snared or stunned and die before making it to camp. To do any kind of PBAE pull/kill best, its much easier with a friend, or a couple friends (encourages grouping).

Also, I'm at 125 AA's on my warrior at this point (plenty to go, but I'm not desperate for a "cheat code" to catch up). I got a lot of that with my enchanter that can charm mobs that hit for 500+ and quad, that I can give a summonable (and bazaar purchasable) haste item to, and also cast haste on them, giving them a DPS rate of a whole group of rogues & rangers. I've done the vast majority of this alone with my trio.

AFK 4th/5th is like the easiest crap ever, freebie exp you can do starting at level 1. Charming a max-hasted mob that quads for 500+ is also off the charts. Those kind of things are just as bonkers to me as any kind of PBAE exp, shakerpaging or enc/nukers style. But, we're not going to nerf those things, that would be crazy, right? And why would it be crazy? I'm glad you asked! Those things were part of the game, on the AK server.

I don't NEED shakerpaging. I simply want it, just like I want to play through this old game for all the old things I liked and still like about it. I liked shakerpaging, but the closest I ever got to doing it, before I quit, was helping someone else do it a couple times by pulling, failing many more times trying to help them do it, and having a 65 warrior with like 30 AA's or something, and no Earthshaker.

Break likes this.
  6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Not sure I understand this fascination with this. Any ability that allows a very small subset of characters (1-3) to dominate a large part of an XP zone I would be against and I'm sure the original SOE devs would be as well. That fact that it got into the game would be an oversight to begin with. And I'm all for AKcurracy. There are still plenty of toons in tier 2 zones. I have a few that aren't even flagged yet and plan to soon. As the population slowly increases, those zones will still be in use. This is magnitudes greater of an issue than a single group killing all of the Earth BoT wing with a charmed pet.

7. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I think there will always be a subset of players who enjoy 1-by-1 killing mobs for hours for their grind. There is another subset of players who love trying to kill the largest pile of mobs for huge chunks of EXP.

People in the former tend to view the later as an easy-mode path to EXP and especially hate it when the later folks end up training them interfering with their own EXP methods.

I will say at this point the ship has sailed. You will not see kite limits increased on this server ever. It was doable on AK, but the pathing made it more difficult/unpredictable. If it was allowed here it would definitely be an easymode path to EXP in PoValor specifically. Other zones tend to have bad enough geometry or summoning mobs mixed in that would prefer either shakerpaging or AE kiting.

Personally I'd like to see the kite limit increased in PoFire since there is such a flagging requirement to access the zone and we AE kited it quite often on AK, but I am not holding my breath on it happening.

Slayzz likes this.
  8. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Can just skip the shakerpaging and enable GM commands. Then players can add experience to their character at whatever rate they think is fair. If shakerpaging was adjusted to yield the same exp per hour as killing fiends in the cave, I doubt anyone would be interested in doing it. The combat in this game is primarily about the tank/healer/dps roles and social play in groups/raids. Things like shakerpaging and other AoE killing for exp throw that out the window. I think for people who have been going hard and done everything else, shakerpaging is a new way to play and breaking the game is always a fun thing, but this interferes with other players who aren't as far along in their journey, and most of us here don't want it. If shakerpaging for big exp is available, players will end up waiting for a spot in the page group rather than playing the game, because even if they wait 4 hours to get in, it's more exp than killing NPCs by themselves and why bother with epics and all that when you can soak page exp naked while AFK. For the vast majority of people, this is not a fun way to spend their play time, so to me that's enough reason not to have it. The problem with overpowered things is not just what they enable, it's that they make everything else irrelevant/skipped.

Dairmuid, Elroz and Lenas like this.
  9. Toomuch

Toomuch Member

To be clear, a warrior couldn't realistically do this any faster than their Furious Discipline refreshed, and they'd have to manage the pull, etc etc, but I digress. I guess I'll definitely not be spending my next 5 AA's on rampage then, nor any of the next 100 probably. Oh well, RIP the dream.

For me, this is all about wanting to experience this one thing that I never got to experience, that was definitely part of the game. I never got to raid elementals + time, so I still have that to look forward to.

Ultimately, if both the majority of the staff and the majority of the playerbase are against PBAE anything (aside from bard PBAE kiting that we call "swarming", which is not the same thing as what "swarming" was on live - THAT involved charming and letting your pet mostly die to the "swarm" of mobs that attacked it), *despite it being Akkurate*, I concede.

Edit: I DO understand that enabling the changes that would make shakerpaging doable would also enable regular PBAoE killing. So, thinking through it more, I guess it's NOT just about the furious discipline cooldown timer, because likely the biggest "abusers" wouldn't be the warriors waiting around for furious to refresh, it'd be bards pulling with low health agro, and wizards/mages/druids/clerics nuking, and *this* could be done non-stop. Oh well, had to ask. I'll deal with it :)

I really do appreciate the replies, and tolerating/participating in this discussion.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  10. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Me me me, I want. You are asking someone to do work for you, so you can have fun.... Have you no humility or shame? Time is valuable and your request is admittedly selfish. Tuck in that tail and shoo.

Devour_Souls likes this.
  11. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

12. Toomuch

Toomuch Member

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Let's please not turn this into an RNF thread. People ask for things they want, or things they think should be a thing, all the time. I'm not alone in this request, but the discussion has been had, and it's been deemed not good for the server, and I'll live with that.

Your reply seems a little harsh for a non-RNF thread though, friend. But I'll live with that too.

13. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Oh yes, I'm not especially nice.

Radda and Toomuch like this.
  14. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

RIP being a Warrior then if you aren't going to AA past 125. May I suggest a knight instead? Sounds like you just don't enjoy being a War.

15. Toomuch

Toomuch Member

Definitely not what I said. If you re-read it, I said I'd be getting at least 100 more AA's, but I wouldn't be spending any of the next 100 on Rampage AA.

Also, I have a knight :). The link to him is in my signature even. He was my original tank, tanked our first Vox and Va`Dyn even, maybe a couple other firsts, but Blood Guard needed warriors. Our main tank at the time was Mars, and I saw the writing on the wall, so once I hit 60's I PL'd Mahonri.

Thank you for your constructive feedback though!

16. Radda

Radda People Like Me

as far as i knew, swarming was because it was a crap ton of mobs chasing you. What you mentioned was reverse charming which you could do with 2 mobs or 200 mobs.
    and quite a few of us here love pbaoe'ing, kite and experience nerfs are in place, all the more reason not to allow shaker paging.
    i cant sell everyone experience cause there would be no one left

17. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Always here to help!

Tuluvien likes this.
  18. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

This is such a pet peeve of mine. It's PBAE kiting, not swarming. People who call it swarming should be permabanned.

That being said, have you tried it here? In nearly every T2+ PoP zone you can't PBAE kite more than 4 mobs or they will randomly warp on you. I tried exactly 4 mobs in PoFire (flameheads at tables) and was getting warped on there. PBAE kiting is severely limited. And even if it weren't it's really not fun. You usually spend 30 minutes between pulling and killing, and most of the time there is a high chance that you get flee stunned and killed, especially when the mobs get to the <10% health range. There are much faster exp methods.

Toomuch likes this.
  19. Radda

Radda People Like Me

you can kite in fire with more than 2 mobs

20. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Ban!!!

Swarming is reverse charming, but specifically reverse charming with a swarm of mobs.

Toomuch likes this.
  21. Radda

Radda People Like Me

yall are crazy

22. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

But how about 4 mobs? I tried it once at tables and got warped on repeatedly once the flameheads dropped below 90%. Wasn't worth trying again.

23. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Look at what game we play. We are all crazy, no doubt.

24. Radda

Radda People Like Me

you can kite in fire with more than 10 mobs

25. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Field 1, Field 2, or flameheads?

I tried all of field 1, got warps. I tried flameheads with 4 mobs, got warps. I wonder if there are different limits depending on type of mob.

26. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

You can kite at least 10 in PoE.

27. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

There are mobs in PoE that don't summon?

28. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I think people are failing to consider the most important factor when it comes to things like shakerpaging. The reason why it took Sony so long to nerf some of them is primarily because it wasn't done often enough to be noticed by them. Since it wasn't done very often, it wasn't as disruptive as it would have otherwise been. Players just weren't as aware of things back then. When they discovered us doing the ring exploit, they nerfed it right away. They knew about shakerpaging but I doubt they saw people pulling the ENTIRE zone in PoValor and just thought people were doing the front yard in PoNightmare or whatever. If people were doing PoValor in 2003 then the zone slowdowns/crashes would have brought it to their attention, or simply players reporting it.

Nowadays if something is advantageous, everybody knows about it and does it. This has drastic consequences for the gameplay. For example in WoW classic, what happened was people stopping leveling normally and instead paid mages to powerlevel them using pathing exploits. Discord makes it easy for people to sign up for this and youtube shows mages how to do it. This results in people who want to level legit having trouble getting groups and whatnot. Sony nerfed bards in HoHonorA back in 2003 pretty quick after bards started selling powerleveling services there.

Part of the thrill of abusing these things is because few people do them. If you benefit from it and most people don't, that's fun. (until you get bored for lack of shit to do and quit because you AAed in a week) If EVERYBODY does it, then it loses most of the novelty.

Toomuch, Slayzz, solar and 4 others like this.
  29. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

that sums up how I feel about charm killing as an enchanter here. I rarely saw enchanters charming on live, but it was probably because they didn't have a cleric and/or bard bot plus gina triggers to nearly trivialize it. Not shitting on people who do it, but it just doesn't seem as fun to me because everyone's doing it. It's probably why I enjoyed farming CT the zone so much in luclin, nothing good for charming so all the tough camps like 4c were rarely killed and the loot actually still had some value.

30. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

On live there was the charm nerf as well around this timeframe. DPS of the pet and xp gained were lower if you used a charm pet. So, after that went in, many people would charm swarm instead, using other mobs to get your pet near death, invis to break, charm the next and finish off the original, etc. I used to duo with a chanter friend who did that all the time.

Toomuch and Pithy like this.