9-19-2018

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Did you?:

The problem was your assumptions, not the devs. This server was never intended to be absolutely AKurate and the devs are here clearly telling you this. If you continue to hold every change to that standard, guess what? You're going to be disappointed.

In the end things are progressing just as I indicated above - the devs are addressing all issues on a case by case basis, unbeholden to any 'standard'. (btw, unbeholden is not a word.) Not AKuracy, not "balance". The only standard is: do the devs think a change makes the server closer to what they want it to be. There is always a reason behind the change of course, but the reason can be anything. The devs have a vision for their server, and that's the only standard that matters.

This is THEIR server. Not ours. If we want to make a server with more AKuracy, or more "balance", or more anything at all, go knock yourself out. That's exactly how P2002 started.

But you know what? There's well over a hundred emulated servers listed on the p99 login list, and a whole bunch more that aren't a part of the emu community. Want to know how many have more people playing than Takp? Three.

Gotta say that tells me the devs are doing something right. So I'll stick with their vision, thanks.

2. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

"Do you know what leadership means, Lord Snow? It means that the person in charge gets second guessed by every clever little twat with a mouth. But if he starts second guessing himself, that's the end."

3. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I appreciate you and torven taking the time to spell out some thoughts - dev, player or otherwise. That foci is a prime example of whats wrong though. It wasn't broken, or unintended - it was doing it job in the time AK had it. Later - after a potime revamp (which we dont have) - it was changed.

Those are generally the changes that will engender the most resistance.

4. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Again- people can question what the devs do - even their vision - and still be delighted to play here. Your white knighting is unnecessary.

Mokli and Bragon like this.
  5. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Fading Memories was later severely nerfed on Live. Now, it is level capped (doesn't work on mobs 5+ levels higher than the bard), doesn't work if you are within 30 feet of the mob, and it also has a chance to fail.

Mechanics and balance have continuously changed over EQ's 19 years. What one dev views as unique, another dev may subsequently view as unbalanced.

Bragon likes this.
  6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

So when there is a disagreement of any kind, we just need to shut up and not voice our opinions? Everyone that plays here realizes the heart the devs put into this server. Just because there is a disagreement, doesn't mean we aren't grateful to have them, stamp our feet and leave. With that said though, no one is infallible, not you, not me, not anyone. I prefer to voice my opinions and try to be as respectful as possible. Your comment is akin to people saying if you don't like what your government is doing, then leave the country.

7. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I think the discussion is interesting and it's obvious we're all passionate about the game. While I personally like the change, I think it sucks that this was changed after people already made decisions and strategies around it. Especially considering that we're all here because we liked the time locked server that didn't change on us.

J1zmak and Mokli like this.
  8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Monk AC adjusted = maybe. Maybe soon even.

Ranger full archery all the time = not happening.

DI nerf = staying as currently is.

Thats where it stands on these debates

9. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Damn, you're going to make Faults main change back to an unpronounceable combination on Zs, Xs, and Ys.

10. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

It's not white knighting to point out the continuing disconnect between what the server is and what people mistakenly think the server is, as evidenced by Mokli's and others' posts. And as for what is truly unnecessary: your approval for anything I post.

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

What the server is? Its fun.

12. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

This server is heading for GoD without the three previous expansions. And that makes me sad.

slamurai, Mokli and Bragon like this.
  13. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

If you need a hug bro, I got you /hug

14. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Until you change something else, and then its

[​IMG]

15. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

For some it will be doom, no matter what. Change or no change. Fix or no fix. They will find something to doom about.

Tryfan likes this.
  16. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Ya i mean no one claimed this is the end and doom is coming.

Not everyone will agree with every change of Torvenquest (tm). I think this has been a thing since beta so we good there yeah?

17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I see you as having more of Negan avatar.

18. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Man that scene was brutal. Yikes.

In other news on every parse we've done on uncornered mobs Wizard boxes have beaten rangers in DPS even including trueshot by a factor of 1.5x to 2x.

Can we implement some sort of wizard nerf with geometry or may be a serious resist adjustement? We wouldn't want guilds to run 17 of those on horses with Lcea running etc, that'd probly be unbalanced.

showstring and Linkamus like this.
  19. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

20. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Not quite enough. We need to go deeper.

21. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Nerf wizard AC

pharmakos likes this.
  22. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

Hit it on the head 100% IMO - appreciate the consideration for all sides of the issue. Looking forward a bit - lots of people here have enchanters because charm is totally overpowered in PoP. So much so that charm exp was nerfed by 66%, and hate generation for healing charmed pets was fixed (ironically in the same patch that fixed"monk mitigation in April 2003). Should we expect charm nerfs coming down the pike? As Bragon noted, people rolled many wizards and clerics because those are extremely powerful (i.e. imbalanced!!!) in the PoP meta. I am not too savvy with post-PoP game balance changes, but I wonder if that meta will be somewhat upended by additional out-of-era patches that might be implemented on TAKP?

I'm trying not to sound like a "sky is falling" guy - it's more a "death by 1000 papercuts" situation I'm worried about.

Good point that raises another interesting question. For mechanics that may have changed in power level several times, what is the "correct" era or implementation to use from a TAKP balance perspective? Asking more in generalities, not so much concerned with FM/ID specifically, but it makes a good example.

Slayzz likes this.
  23. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Charm carries a lot of risk. Don't expect it to be nerfed.

24. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

Then why was it nerfed on live? Honest question, not trying to be a dicky.

25. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

This should probably be implemented here as well. This is clearly out of balance compared to groups killing mobs one by one. Come PoP charm is going to be the only way to exp whatsoever. Have an enc or gtfo. Which is why most people have an enc and make them their primary alts right now already, they know what's coming.

Might wanna get an early start and nerf that stat before we have 30 encs running around everywhere with charm pets gaining 3 to 4 AAs an hour.

26. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Charm with a bard box carries no risk whatsoever. On a 3 box server it's pretty easy to group with 1 person with a bard or another enc for back up mez. if you don't have a bard yourself.

27. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Charm kiting PoN ravens is not even close to the same risk of you charming a revenant in SSRA. You are keeping the pet for a short duration, then swapping to the next, repeat, rinse.

28. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

The slope I’m afraid of...

29. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

that's not what i'm refering to.

Charm a mob. HAve the bard cast mez on it from even outside the group, no other spell, just fire and forget and dont' worry abotu the bard box ever again.

every time your charm breaks your pet is almost instantly mezzed. That's what i'm refering to. This will carry to future expacs. Even without that, with the higher runes encs have always been kings of PoP. 2 people duo'ed AOW using enc pets on AK. THAT one might have been high risk

But exp in POP with a charm was never a wipefest, i was a snoozefest all day long and the best xp you could get. Never was there a OH SHIT moment in a group with a charm pet except when the enc had to go pee.

30. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Having one person charm kiting and 2-3 others sitting in a group absorbing xp will probably be as good or better than what you see in SSRA right now with a group of 3-4 with a charm pet. PoP ZEM's are very high and the kills are really fast with charm kiting. I expect charm xp to be nerfed at some point.