Serverwide Mayong Mistmoore Raids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inacht, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

You're asking the devs to revisit and implement something that is clearly a community issue. If everyone can't behave on this, just put the damn thing on rotation next year and be done with it.

2. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

Sure get rid of the one raid server wide raid, very much so in the spirit of AK

3. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Shadowstring, your table is a good example of bad data. It's dripping with sentiment and anecdote hiding behind a nerd-wall of a spreadsheet. The very last cell for best DPS is not resolved in my opinion, and is the only cell that makes it uniquely valuable for a ranger. Walex's parser didn't tell us what kind of haste was in effect, what the mob's AC was, or nearly enough data to prove the best DPS weapon argument.

What it did tell us is that it proc'd for 15 DPS. Not the initial guess of 12 DPS and certainly not the ceiling of 70 DPS that was tossed out. We don't even know if he had 255 dex. For context, Lcea's is around 10 heals per second (60ish per tick). So the 15 from Walex's parse is hardly worth the effort you're putting into this thread, imo.

The whole case you're making hinges on it being the best DPS weapon. Actually prove it, or you're not contributing value to the discussion.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  4. RossGuy

RossGuy Well-Known Member

Let's not kid ourselves; kicking this dead horse is what's killing the spirit of this event, not server-wide raids and loot piƱatas.

Cadsuane likes this.
  5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Any number of raids could be serverwide raids if people wanted to run them. NToV. Tunare. Inner Acrylia. Velketor.

Come wednesday plenty more targets would open up too. Run those as open raids and let individual guilds kill Mayong.

Linkamus likes this.
  6. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Boo hoo I cannot monopolize a very rare mob for my VT geared raid force. Is that what this chat is gunna boil down too? I say we don't let rangers use Soul Pricker just cus they don't deserve it.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Its out of era and OP. Rangers shouldn't be on it. It should be replaced on MM with a nerfed version. Put this version as a C token reward.

8. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

FTFY

9. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

whichever guild decides to forego the serverwide arrangement can go last on the rotation in 2032

10. Culkasi

Culkasi Member

This thread feels like P99. Lets not turn TAKP into that please.
    Its a server wide event for EVERYONE, you roll on something and win it or loose it. If you turn up to an event with 300 people and expect some loot to magically get rewarded to the nicest person or the ugliest ogre or something like that, you have misunderstood it. Whatever loot rules your guild have, you are free to use them when you next raid Talendor. The devs have clearly defined who can win this loot by adding a mixture of classes and races on it. We can question their choices, but they made them, so we follow the rules.
    If Rangers gets dibs on this item, which item does druids get dibs on? Or enchanters? Or the poor beastlords?

This is really why we can't have nice things - we don't deserve it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    jbry2 likes this.
  11. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I agree we don't want to let people monopolize it that is why I suggested making an alternative way to spawn him that keeps him rare but doesn't force you to participate in a 300 character lag pile to experience this unique encounter.

For those of you who love the massive open raid you could run it. Those of us who prefer to do smaller things could do that. Just so long as it isn't as common as a cloth cap I think that is fine.

Linkamus likes this.
  12. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

I hope they add a mechanic that he only aggros if theres more than 400 characters in the zone

13. RossGuy

RossGuy Well-Known Member

It's a bit rude to want the devs to devote more of their time to make us free Anniversary content, no?

14. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

I get your point Rimidal, mathematically rangers can get more healing out of it than anyone else. Honestly it is probably too strong. All the other anniversary items are essentially fluff (illusions, sparklies, etc), non-game breaking utility (bags, cheap "gate" potions), or items that are inline with raid quality gear for current era but ultimately likely to be replaced in the long run. However for a tanking ranger, there would never be a better combo than the dagger and a shield. It would be the same if beastlords could use it too, and probably shadow knights as well. The best tanking item in the game for one class dropping only up to 3 times per year.

I still think you are wrong though that it should be restricted to rangers on an open raid. Having it go to a ranger alt or 3rd box that's used as a archery bot doesn't make more sense than going to a warrior who duos with a shaman. Way back on Brell Serilis I remember a commonly used loot term of CAWU (can and will use), and that's about the best you can ask for on an open raid. Be considerate of others and don't roll if you aren't going to regularly use, and also realize that others may play the game differently than you and will use an item that you yourself would not for that class.

Botboy141 likes this.
  15. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could have the event, the rewards, and the loot rules all redesigned to their own personal specifications?

As this is impossible, I think the best course is to enjoy the event for what it is or find something else to do. If I may offer a suggestion, The Great British Baking Show is very soothing and it has a holiday special on Netflix this year.

Botboy141, Ripwind, Dryfly and 4 others like this.
  16. Amirite

Amirite Well-Known Member

i made my own spreadsheet , you can name the item whatever you want, it works either way. and its fill in the blank.

Attached Files:

Neealana, jbry2, Draeko and 3 others like this.
  17. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Moo art is best art.

anotheregostar and kai4785 like this.
  18. Amirite

Amirite Well-Known Member

i spent seconds researching the data. this is the most intensive data collection known to everquest. there is no doubt in my mind that this spreadsheet is the spreadsheet to end all spreadsheets. This should be used to solve all arguments going forward.
    Prob should put this in the wiki.

Mokli and kai4785 like this.
  19. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Interesting discussion and feedback, I like the different perspectives.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original intent of Mayong being so tough was to encourage some sort of guild co-operation. It was intended he would be a significant challenge for any one raid force to take him down, at least before PoP era.
    The very effective anti-zerg mechanic was added so that "just get a bunch more people" choice isn't an overly easy/obvious solution, but also require excellent strategy and execution. The AE fear spell was supposed to be on 200 resist scale, but ended up being on 600 resist scale which made him a lot tougher, requiring a fearless knight tank and compounding the difficulty further.

In the first year, the first week was spent pondering if he was even killable or just a quest mob. The devs gave a little hint to try and kill him. Guilds began frantically brainstorming strategy and quickly AAing their fearless knights for a proper attempt. It just so happened that both Tem and NAG organised to attempt him with a full raid force on the same day. Tem had I believe three attempts, with NAG waiting for their turn, when a proposal was offered to maybe just team up, see if both our nearly equivalent strategies and raid forces can be combined, to see if this badass even can be killed at all.
    He died and dropped really good loots, and there was much rejoicing. The guilds cooperated, loot was disturbed fairly and things seemed good. Maybe Tem would have loved to solo him, maybe NAG would have also, maybe it was a futile endeavour to pursue this since he was really really tough indeed. It was a little challenging to organise such a big raid force during the holidays anyway. He died, we learned stuff, and then pondered next steps. Will be respawn? Which other guilds can mobilize? Who can even kill him solo? Would it "waste" the spawn if guilds were given time to attempt him, and were not successful, and then he would be gone for a year? Is it better to just team up and get him dead? Which guilds get to participate? What would be a "fair" way to distribute loot? A second multi-guild attempt was organised on last day of reset, but he did not respawn during peak hours, and no more special loot was available. So we experienced a little taste of disappointment, but so it goes.

It wasn't until next year that the simplest and most "inclusive" approach was proposed whereby is was just an open raid. He died again twice. Loot was awarded via /random which had some very interesting consequences. So the cooperation worked. Most people got to at least participate, even though some guilds would have loved to try him solo, it would have potentially been viewed as a little selfish or whatever. The spirit of the event, multi guild co-operation, was working as intended.

So here we are, in the third year. Now the "serverwide" event is slightly problematic. The sheer number of participants makes the zone laggy, is causing problems for execution of the kill, and loot distribution is a not quite favoured by everyone. Guilds that feel they could probably take him solo don't have that option, and people that want some tasty pixels have very little chance of acquiring said pixels. Due to rarity of mob, only three spawns per year, trying for some kind of inclusive rotation is very difficult. Everyone on server has had taste of the juicy Mayong loot, people now expect their chance at it. People want to participate. Making it exclusive to just a few guilds is problematic. Not killing him is problematic. Zerg force loot distribution is problematic. Feeling entitled to the event is problematic. Now it's a serverwide event on the forums as well. The drama!

What will happen next year? Do we try for some kind of different cooperation agreement, or make it FFA for guilds to try on their own? PoP will change the difficulty of the event, as well as make the loot less spicy. So who knows what will happen... The only guaranteed outcome is not everyone will be happy ;)

It has been an interesting experience, and I'm glad our server has a cool story to go with it. Thank you devs for the unique fun times adventures.

Radda and Ripwind like this.
  20. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

If you (or anyone) is not willing to farm up 50k pp, then you simply don't want the item enough.

21. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

There will always be people that don't know they want it because they don't know it exists. There are many people that rarely come to the forums. There are even more people that don't use the wiki. Basically, what will happen is new people will find out that there is even an anniversary event about 2 weeks before it is patched in. I don't think that's enough time for people to farm 50k.

I'm sorry, I just can't disagree enough with that type of barrier.

22. Dryfly

Dryfly Active Member

I do not want the Sould Pricker to be Ranger only rolls. Actually, those who use rangers only as bow dps probably should consider not rolling either... I'd rather it go to a rogue who tanks vs a ranger who does not. This is a rare piece of equipment. Don't just come and roll on something because you can. Roll on it if it can really bring you value... ask in guild chat it it's a bad idea to loot or not. These items are too rare to just greed roll. That is my perspective, I do not need you to agree with it. Of course, someone will roll on Soul Pricker with their wiz now or the robe with their 6th alt who is a necro... and that's fine too. I'll not post about this again. Starting to feel like deja vu.

Tuluvien likes this.
  23. Langdon_Alger

Langdon_Alger New Member

Wrap it up guys. Lord High Inquisitor of Fantasyland has issued his decree. Apparently this guy is the law or something.

Hove! likes this.
  24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I can just #depop him when he spawns. Will solve all the problems.

Cillipis, Kagatob, Tuluvien and 13 others like this.
  25. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Lotta effort in this thread. I would put up a 'rustled' meme, but hey, it's 2022. I don't know what the current equivalent is.

26. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

We need to make the server permadeath.

Kagatob likes this.
  27. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

I am up for hosting GDKP ring of fire or Grimling war. I am also the master of Ring of Fire, Imperium has aqquired 3 Ice Comet Wands. So if Any have interest in serverwide ROF hit me up

Mokli, necra, Dryfly and 3 others like this.
  28. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

How many rings to get that wand? Or roughly per wand. We did it a few times on average for about 3 hours and didn't see one.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  29. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

So... FTE? o_O

30. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

whichever guild wants to FTE it the rest of hte guilds form an alliance against that guild and random between them