Exp on server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghakim, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Bit of a tangent, but while the subject is sort of under discussion:

Zamiel's experience guide, so far as I know, is accurate for Al'Kabor. But two of the mechanics it describes are oddities the devs may want to give special thought to before implementing:

1. The doubled experience bonus for groups of 4, 5, and 6 has to be a bug.

2. The application of the group bonuses to groups in which one or more players is physically outside of experience sharing distance is likely also unintentional, and led to behavior you probably don't want to encourage on TAKP. That is to say, because adding out-of-range boxes to a group of players generated additional bonuses without causing exp to split more ways, it was always advantageous to fill your extra slots (up to 5) with AFK boxes sitting at the zone line. With four AFK boxes, a soloer could earn 260% of normal exp per kill. At Fort 2 in PoFire, that translated to 55% (as opposed to the normal 21%) of an AA for soloing a single flamehead at level 65, or 2.1 AA per quad.

I'm not necessarily arguing against implementing these features of the Al'Kabor system; heck, the "large group bonus," while more generous than intended, has a nice side effect of encouraging people to seek out other live players on a server limited to 3 boxes. However, I also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that it may encourage people to seek ways around the 3-box limit, especially in combination with the out of range "free exp" mechanic, if you're thinking of revamping TAKP's exp system.

3. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

4. cavedude

Those both have actually already been implemented, but the powers that be have requested rules to "fix" both situations to prevent exploitation. I believe they are using those rules on TAKP. However, anybody is free to download the source and flip the rules to get the proper AK behavior back. Preservation is my first priority, even if it means purposely implementing bugs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. echofinder

echofinder Member

I also agree with Zams guide. The big details for me are the ones that have minimized gameplay opportunities on Takp with other real players.

(1) 1.5 level range XP group range with rounded up. (Helps the lower level toon)

(2) When within the range bracket above if a mob cons green to the higher level player Xp is then split as Zam outlines with who ever the mob does not con green to in group.

Out of range xp should go away IMO it agrees with other server efforts to developed incentives to not just solo play. And group bonuses should give teams of three boxers or two boxers incentive to group together and pick up non boxed toons as well.

A laymans idea, bonuses at 2,4,6 players.

This makes two 3 boxers want to team up, gives a three box team incentive to take in single player.

Thanks for all the work.

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Aye, even though I made use of it I always considered the OOR exp to be a blatant exploitation of a game mechanic that was clearly broken. Wouldn't break my heart if this were among the fixes.

7. cavedude

OOR already works both ways. There is a rule that is toggled to determine how it works. Whether it gets toggled is up to the admins, and not me.

I've already discussed the green XP issue above.

8. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Group level differences aren't capped at 5. During the one brief period I logged in since the first week, I had a low 40s character grouped with level 50s and getting exp. In fact with the complete lack of code to determine split exp proportion to group members, this is a very effective way to powerlevel characters.

9. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Out of range xp does appear to be the same as AK, at least it appeared I was getting more xp than normal in unrest when some group members were AFK at entrance.

10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

On eqlive, there was a bug if the puller (first to aggro) got too far away from mob, when it died, noone got exp.

Did AK have this bug too?

H

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  11. Dane

Dane People Like Me

No. On AK, if the puller got too far away from the mob, he would not receive experience, but the group would. Had this happen many times pulling the fiend caves.

12. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

The worst was when the fiends in PoV would meander off to die, and it'd get too far from the tank and then suddenly regenerate HPs, and come back for more