Exp on server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghakim, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Does this follow the same exact rules of mac Al'Kabor?

Namely,

No hybrid penalty,
    20% xp bonus across server
    Extra experience for groups of 5 and 6?

Thanks!

2. Blaze

Blaze Member

Extra XP was like

2 toons +20%
    3 toons +40%
    4 toons +60%
    5 toons +80%
    6 toons +80%

I did not level a new character from scratch (without PLing) since i started on AK, but my feeling from the first 8 levels is, that its slower than AK. Might be wrong though, since its so long i can barley remember.

3. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

pretty sure there's no hybrid penalty, but race penalty/bonus is in.

Ghakim likes this.
  4. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

I am pretty sure the out of range bonus is not in, I tried it with two level 1 toons sitting near Kaladim in BB, while the druid was quadding dwarves at the dock. There was no difference in experience for the druid with or without the out of range toons.

As to the group bonus:
    I have the feeling the group bonus for additional group members does not work as intended, the experience seems too low, but since I mostly solo, I cannot judge it well. perhaps others can comment on that?

Ghakim likes this.
  5. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I've found XP on TAKP to be abysmally slow. Many of the safeguards against XP exploits have brought leveling on this server to a painfully slow process. The worst XP bug right now has to do with grouping with higher level players. Once the level difference in a group goes beyond 5 or 6 levels, the lower level toons miss out on experience from mobs fairly regularly. I no longer group with anyone who is more than 3 levels above or below me because I've seen too much XP get wasted. Seeing has how XP has been capped and you can no longer get more than 2% per kill even on a red mob several levels above you after a certain level in the game, XP has become a grinding chore on TAKP.

Ghakim likes this.
  6. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

That seems too bad that xp is capped at 2% per kill.

That's a large departure from original AK.

7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

That explains a lot. No wonder leveling sucks so bad. 2% is a bit low. 4% would be better. I think the "experiment" using 2% supports needing an adjustment. But its not my call.

H

Ghakim likes this.
  8. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

From what I understand, it is supposed to capped at 14% unless someone changed it.

Ghakim likes this.
  9. robregen

Ghakim likes this.
  10. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

The code that determines if a player is in level range is incorrect then. I just used what was already there from EQEmu, I didn't bother to check it out at all so that's my fault. If I get some time, I'll look into fixing that.

At what level about do you see XP go to shit? The cap in the code is actually 13%, so that means there is a problem with XP gain at higher levels.

Elrontaur and Ghakim like this.
  11. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

CD, I started noticing the slide around level 24 or so. I was leveling in CMM killing mobs that were red to me in the GY. I could never get more than 2% per person in my group even though the mobs I was killing were several levels above us.

The 13% cap seemed to vanish at that point.

Ghakim likes this.
  12. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Rob, this code isn't working as expected for some reason. Ever since level 20 something, I haven't been able to get more than 2% exp per mob no matter what it cons to me. I'll do some soloing today to test whether the 2% cap is happening during solo play as well.

Tseer likes this.
  13. cavedude

Yes, that would be awesome and very helpful.

14. Grisvok

Grisvok Member

I just powerleveled my bard and can confirm at times I was receiving 13% per kill. I was FD PLing with a 50 monk, bard would finish off the mobs.

15. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Just tried solo killing a red mob with my level 20 mage.

A Giant Skeleton (Rathe Mountains) level 22 - 26 according to allaclone

First kill 5% second kill 3%. That would be quite a bit less than 14%.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  16. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Do you mean to insinuate that all red mobs should give max exp?

17. Grisvok

Grisvok Member

Well to clarify, I was PLing my bard from lvl 20 to 30 using HHK Goblins. I was getting near max xp at first for each kill (13%).

18. robregen

sounds like ZEM played a part in it.

19. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I'll test solo killing with mage in HHK next.

20. cavedude

In regards to the level difference code, it looks like we are capping at 5 levels which needs to go. I was thinking about switching the cap to be con based, so that would mean a 33 could group with a 50 or a 49 could group with a 65. Does that seem more correct, is it that going too far?

Elrontaur likes this.
  21. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

I never played on AK but I believe standard maximum level difference is 1.5*lower level (rounded down). But it has a lower limit of 5.

Examples: 34 to group with 50 (33 gets no xp); 44 to group with 65 (43 gets no xp); 1 can group with 6

As far as I know, the info in the xp section of http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics should be accurate. The missing/different parts would be AK specific (server, ZEM, class, and group modifiers), and hell modifiers post 60. AA xp seems to follow entirely different rules. While it seems correct to me, I cannot guarantee whether it is actually applicable to AK mechanics.

Would be nice to know what is currently in place for TAKP, specifically the server and group bonus modifiers.

22. Gurgy

Gurgy New Member

That level range is still in effect. The issue is, is that when a mob turns green to the higher party member, no one gets exp in the group. I - however- feel that the exp required to level is fine.

23. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

As I understand it this dynamic of no one getting exp was implemented to stop exploitation of something, not sure exactly what. I may be mistaken about this, as it is second hand info. On AK whichever group member was within con of the mob would get exp, as long as all were in level range of each other. A 34 partying with a 50 should get exp for mobs in range of himself, while the 50 would get none for the green con.

24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

If mob is green to anyone in group, then no exp to anyone. Thats how it worked.

H

25. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

This is incorrect, on AK I would often find and group with lower level toons that were high enough to get XP from green (to me) mobs that I was killing/farming.

I feel we are past the point of having to worry about people exploiting XP. We have more than enough level 50 toons on the server at this point. Let's implement the AK style of XP distribution and stick with it. If it wasn't for these silly anti-exploit codes all of my toons would be level 50 by now. I'm not asking for the XP wasted by the anti-exploits, I am simply stating that the AK XP rules should be re-implemented if we are to stay true to our goal of AK recreation.

26. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Actually on AK it wasn't rounded down, it was rounded up instead. The magic number to level with 65 was level 43 not 44. An easy way to check to see whether or not you could level with someone was to con them. If they conned LB or higher to you, you could XP with them.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  27. robregen

28. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

CD please remove the 5 level cap it didn't exist on AK and doesn't need to be on TAKP, and 33 to level with 50 would be grand.

29. robregen

30. cavedude

That is exactly how it will work. Instead of capping at a 5 level diff, it will check con when the cap is reached and will allow you to group if you are LB or higher. The con levels we have should be accurate. I used tracking to figure out our formula since for us, track is completely client side.

Disabling green experience is indeed intentional and is also known to be incorrect. But, we need to correct the split formula before we can change the rule so it works like it did on AK.

Elrontaur likes this.