Boxing question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galadrim, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Galadrim

Galadrim New Member

A good friend of mine and I are thinking of moving here from p99 blue. We both would like to box.

My understanding is that the limit per IP is 3 accounts, which is more than enough for our needs. However, I noticed during sign up that you are required to log each account under one forum access.

We play on each other’s accounts all the time. It’s quite possible that I could be playing 3 toons on 3 accounts linked to my forum account and he would log into a 4th toon also linked to my forum profile.

Will this be an issue or is the boxing test done via IP and as long as we do not go over that we are fine?

Thank you in advance,

Galadrim

2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Welcome to TAKP!

It will be an issue. As you plan your characters, keep in mind that regardless of who is playing which character, no more than three characters on a given account (not counting your trader) can be logged in simultaneously. So if your friend is on one of your characters, you can’t be on three more of them at the same time.

In my experience, short and accidental violations of this rule seem to be ignored, but I would guess that breaking it habitually would bring consequences.

Break likes this.
  3. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Forum account gets banned really fast if more than 3, minus Bazaar trader, chars are logged on at the same time. Also there is a system in place that actively prevents more than 3 characters from the same forum account on.

Boxing is limited by forum account and IP.

4. Galadrim

Galadrim New Member

Thanks for the fast reply! You guys are great.

So basically if we both register 3 accounts to our respective forum account we should be fine since we could never go over limit.

5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

each human must have their own forum account

this will resolve your issue

6. CTroi

CTroi Member

I am assuming you and your friend live together? Be sure to apply for an IP exemption, if so.

pharmakos likes this.
  7. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Please make sure you read the rules thoroughly including the follow up posts in the Server Info section. This is a good place to start https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/new-simple-rules.9270/

TL;DR - 3 non mule characters per human, no exceptions. If more than 3 from the same forum account are logged in, then we assume a person is playing more than 3 at a time. Use your own forum account and you'll be fine.

While there are some courtesy technical measures that remind people if they make a mistake, the rules are to be followed by people voluntarily, not because the game won't let you in. Most people never run afoul of these rules. Those who do are probably bending them and the line has to be drawn somewhere. The limit on boxing here is a big part of why this server is so great, with people playing manually rather than bot armies AFKing all over PoK. It makes it possible for us to have things like this thread: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/trophy-trios-the-three-box-challenge.7599/
    We also have guilds rotating raid zones rather than PvPing over spawns. You can imagine how all of this falls apart if everyone is trying to cheat the system and be a one or two man guild, so while it doesn't come up often, people do get the boot if they don't fit in here.

The idea is that we're all playing within the same framework. If you can't kill something with your 3 characters, then the answer is not to get more characters to box, but to get better at playing 3 or to group up with other people. I suggest you try playing within the rules and hopefully this ends up being as fun for you as it is for the rest of us.

CTroi, Elroz, Pithy and 3 others like this.
  8. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

I know your question's already been answered, but I wanted to add that the devs have done a really good job with the overhead 'forum account'/multi-'game account' setup. With this setup you can easily swap your toons between game accounts, check inventory, and use the awesome real-time server tools (which are linked to your forum account) The spell guide letting you check which spells your characters have, have scrolls for, and links to where to find them and what they do. And the real-time epic quest tracker.

Ive gotten an IP exemption when living with another player, and when folks have stayed over (relatives in the same guild) and needed to log in, it's never been a problem. My advice is always to make 1 forum account per person (the rule), and each person have their own game accounts. Roll toons on a few game accounts each and ask for an exemption on them all, and then never worry about it again. My brother and one of his kids started out playing on the same account, and when his other kid started playing they did run into some trouble and confusion without the exemption, while gathering for a raid. Better to have your own forum accounts and get the exemptions now, and avoid running into a problem later on.

For my own organization, I number my game account names and have identical passwords. Except for a spare game account, which I can temporarily transfer toons to, if someone needs to borrow one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    CTroi and pharmakos like this.
  9. Galadrim

Galadrim New Member

Thank you for all the replies. I wanted to make sure we understood the rules so we could best follow them and this has been very helpful.

We do not live together and therefore do not need an IP exemption but we do have access to each other’s gaming accounts and we would play each others toons on a regular basis. We did that on p99 but obviously without boxing since that is not an option there.

I plan to box 3 and he will box 2 toons. My only concern was that if I have 4 active game accounts attached to my forum account and I am online with 3 of them he accidentally logs on a 4th account without realizing I am online. But it sound like there are safety measures in place to prevent that which is great.

10. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

Accidents happen when you share your toons. As soon as you notice your friend has logged in a 4th of your characters, you should immediately have him log off or log off one of your own characters. Don't travel with them, don't port with them, don't group with them, etc...

11. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

People generally log one out, log in the other character, then swap back. This is very common during groups/raids with people who are into alts. So if you coordinate with your friend this should be no problem. It is not ok to play 4 at a time for any reason, including buffs, rezzes, ports, checking a spawn in another zone, etc. You have to swap around. It's all logged and admins do watch this stuff, but as I said before, it's mostly not a problem because it's not that hard to follow the rules while still using more than 3 characters.. 3 at one time, but you can have 6 camped in the same zone as long as you camp one before bringing the other one in.

DubRemix88 likes this.