Patch questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravenwing, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Dunno. Not looking who is whining. Don't care. If you are asking, then either you are and are trying to be confrontational or you are just being a smarty pants.

Still. Don't care.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Elrontaur likes this.
  2. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

One thing that I see is vastly overlooked here is the fact that we have temporarily removed some things like certain loots and such that ARE PoP era from AK that trivialize pre-PoP play.
    We have full intention of opening up things we temporarily shut off once PoP hits. But a balance is needed for sane game play as we move from expansion to expansion.

Loots are not the only things that need to be toned down. What Torven does in some respects helps the smoothness of the game play transition with each expansion.
    The primary reason for setting things as rules is to be able to easily enable/disable things later on when appropriate and to allow other servers to have a different style without the need to rewrite the code entirely.
    For those that don't understand the meaning of rules here that we speak of, it is not a "You must follow the rules thing" It is a enable/disable setting in the database.
    Code is designed for both scenarios it is just up the those running the server to turn it on or off.

Game play mechanics are in some cases a deal breaker and ruin the game if they were in too early.
    Arguing for perfection to what PoP was to have it now is not the right way to look at this.
    Think of it in simple terms of loot.
    If we were to allow PoP crafted armors or Ornate etc now, the game would be highly not linear to the per expansion progression advancement and development of the server.
    People would hit max level max gear and get bored fast. All due to not taking the current expansion and limits that expansion needs into consideration.

Edit: I mentioned this bit to someone I felt it fits here as well..

People are used to PoP gameplay and mechanics. Which doesn't apply and scale well in older expansions.
    Most of the devs, me included are very used to and have a decent working knowledge of PoP.
    I suspect alot of these issues that have popped up will go away for the most part once we get there.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Zeklen

Zeklen Member

In a manner of speaking, I was confronting you. You throw out the whiner card, looked like you were being dismissive and rude to some of us that enjoy your game, here and on P99. Namecalling isn't a great way to respond to criticism. It's cheap.

I can tell you don't care, and therein lies the problem.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I have been harassed enough by people like you. Find someone else to attack. You are not a very nice person.

5. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

The FD changes are right from what I remember. Stuff would sometimes come back, even after reaching its spawn point. And roaming mobs were especially tricky to lose with FD. I often used to /q to clear aggro, and this was in standard zones like Guk, not a raid zone. This was my experience of it with a Necro though, which didn't have the luxury of fd'ing again and again. Although sometimes I would get up and fd again and you get a different roll of the dice.

6. Zeklen

Zeklen Member

This is what I consider a conversation, I'm not trying to harass or attack anyone. You are a volunteer and I'm grateful to you for that, but that doesn't give you a free pass call people whiners.

and you are in no position to judge me as a "not very nice" person.

7. Speedz

I never had a mob chase me down after they got back to their spawn points on AK on my necro.
    But they had to fully reach their spawn point. PoN Nightstalkers and PoV fiends are a prime example.

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I can't say I ever recall this on Al'Kabor or on live. This seems like a recent live change, they did quite a few big mechanics changes like making Fading Memories (all fade abilities) a RNG roll that can fail on mobs, etc.

Granted most of these spells will be cast on white/blue cons on this server and the fade rate would be low, but I am still highly skeptical this was actually a thing on Al'Kabor. I would think it far more likely someone posting from back in 2003 was more seeing someone get too close to aggro the mob within its lull'd aggro radius, mistaking this for an early fade, rather than the spell ending early due to this weird con based RNG mechanic.

9. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Pacification and Pacify make the aggro radius 1, so to aggro a paced mob, one would have to get inside the NPC's model if it's even possible.

10. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite things about this server, it works like a progression server. We might have a few minor differences but it currently feels a lot like the live game did when Kunark came along. Everything is more or less the same and the content is challenging because we all have gear appropriate to classic/kunark. It would suck any other way. It also means that when Velious comes along we will get to enjoy that in the same way. If we had PoP gear now I wouldn't have much to look forward to and that's always when I quit a game.

Khorpus likes this.
  11. wharhogg

wharhogg Member

Until Velious most of the PoP armors worth anything are not available due to mats. Even in Velious raid armor is better than TS armor....but it's a lot closer. For tradeskillers opening these armors give them a purpose.....but even having armor open doesn't mean many if any will ever put in the massive time sink to get tradeskills maxed to make these armors.....since you cannot get even close to the trivial on the good stuff.

Also....no nerfed weapons in Chardok hold a candle to VP weapons or Tstaff. So even "classic" Kunark weapons are awesome.
    http://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=24624
    http://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=6200

12. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Thank you Speedz for your reply to this thread.

I appreciate very much what you guys do and am supportive of your vision for the game.

On another note Faydedar is currently being permanently camped by that monk GM (correct me if I am wrong) which basically means she has the lifespan of an exotic butterfly. I know that is how it worked on AK.

I wanted to put Faydedar up for discussion. Is that something the community and devs want replicated here or something that should be fixed because it was most likely an unintentional consequence of pathing and faction.

If my vote matters I would prefer Faydedar to be killed by players and not NPCs ;).

13. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

yes I had thought that was the case since there was a post on it. But Torven mentioned that there was no proof on it since none of us verified that. So I left it as is. Just not sure how far he path to and why would that monk who sits up on the hill would even aggro from afar when he is kos to non iksar players.

14. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

It was like that on PC side as well. The problem is that if Faydedar doesn't get killed by the Monk, then she will probably roam the whole bottom half of TD, so there are other considerations or mechanics that may need to be implemented. Such as a timeout before she paths to the monk or on her roam path, like 4 hours or something to give people enough time to gather and engage her, etc.

15. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Well I dealt a lot with Harmony of Nature on Druid which was a 15' radius. But even when using Pacification, I can't think of a single time it broke early and I got aggro without the mobs running on top of one another (which happened depending on pathing nodes and where I was standing etc.)

Now... I suppose it's possible there were times when it would end after 36 seconds instead of 42 seconds and I didn't notice that change. But I certainly don't ever recall a pacify or harmony ending after just 6 seconds.

It just seems to me to be a feature that may have been added to live. I got on briefly last night and cast probably 25~ Harmonies on a blue con mob and every one lasted full duration. It's possible I just didn't hit the RNG chance for it, but I just don't see this as being a real mechanic that should exist on a server like this.

Regarding the Harmony LoS thing... That I don't recall. I don't *think* I used the spell too frequently because it was in its non-OP state on Al'Kabor, but lull type spells shouldn't require LoS due to being flagged beneficial, and LoS was also not often required in many outdoor zones where Harmony would be casted.

I'll check my logs to see if I have any that match yours with a Harmony cast / cannot see message, but that also throws me off a bit as I don't believe that's how it should be.

16. wharhogg

wharhogg Member

This is a 30s fix in the db, uncheck the box that allows the monk to aggro npcs. Since that is definitely a bug.

17. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I didn't make the harmonies fade early, just the lulls. I haven't parsed Harmonies yet. (these logs take all day to make)

As I said, I now believe that either it only happened on whites or higher or just -1 blues. a -5 blue lasted full duration 100%, and a +5 red faded about 7%/tick. I'm using arena test dummies for this and they have multiplies of 5. I just need one more log to get the charisma crit aggro scale and I'll do a -1 blue.

It's not just my log; you can find multiple threads on Wake of Tranquility line of sight on the eqcleric forum. (love that forum for being so old and still around)

Spell line of sight checks were changed in the same patch that changed the resist system in Sept 2002.

18. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

I really like the discussion taking place here. I encourage people not to take things personally, this server is a work in progress (a Project).

We all want a nice balanced server that reflects what AK was.

If you have a problem with things being tinkered with, you're probably playing on the wrong server. This server is a work in progress. (and a really nice one)

My 2 cents:
    I'm all for fixing things that were broken on AK, especially quests (and other things that just did not work.) But nobody likes to get nerfed. That shit is abrasive. BUT... we've gotta remember that this is not AK. Personally, I would like if some of the silly things that existed on AK, existed here. Obviously not too much game breaking stuff, especially when it comes to raid encounters.. but if it existed on AK and added to the character of the server, it would be fun if it existed here in some form or fashion. Whether things like Shakerpaging are going to exist here or not, should be a decision of the community, and not of any single individual. That's just my opinion. Let's replicate the server we loved, that's why we're all here, right? And we're actually really close to that. But i'm not too worried about it. I like the server and the direction that it's going in. I like the community, and i'm appreciative of the efforts of those that contribute. So it's probably best not to overthink some of these things. It is a game after all.

The Devs/Contributors have done a great job keeping things balanced and relative to the content that's out. They've been approachable on all fronts, and all changes to the server have been up for discussion and there are constantly questions being asked of the community and old AK'rs. So with that kind of dedication and communication we're gonna continue to have a great a server. So there's no need to be too hasty or harsh.

For sure. Once all the mobs are reset they forget, that's the way it was on AK.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Khorpus, Medrall, Aerili and 2 others like this.
  19. Speedz

Altho it is slightly off topic and if one wishes to gripe on this please make another thread:

I am pretty sure rob agrees here, but I personally will not sign off on allowing shakerpage and pit war like mechanics.
    IMO it ruins the game for many, saturates the economy with items, locks other players out of areas and zones.
    Degrades network connections for the server and other clients. I seriously doubt the network code can handle it very well.
    If one wishes to see the effect of a "shakerpage like result" I can figure out a way to GM summon someone to BoT on dev and do a #aggrozone.
    You WILL DC almost immediately if you are in range of the pull.

Neealana and Mokli like this.
  20. Seduce

Seduce Member

Hi all,

Im glad this thread exists as constructive criticism should always imply a freedom to express from both the dev's and players perspective. This verbal culture creates a form of unity providing a long term objective and a healthy surplus of players seeking a true Al'Kabor experience.

Best Regards,

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  21. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

I'm curious on this D/C thing and zone instability. It worked 14 years ago with the hardware of the time and dial-up or a rudimentary DSL connections.

I personally could live without shaker page, just curious about THAT being the explanation as to why is a no-no here.

22. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Awesome if you do it.

Ruins the zone for everybody else.

23. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

That's not what I asked though.

I don't even have a character class that could shakerpage If I wanted to.

24. Speedz

It isn't the only reason, in my view that is the minor reason to disallow it.
    But from early on we have had network stability issues.

Cavedude and Secrets could better explain this aspect than I but for the most part in an emu we have to reinvent the wheel.
    The netcode is based on an older version of emu that was prone to issues but compatible with the OSX client.
    We have improved on it greatly but it could always be improved.

Cutty likes this.
  25. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

I figured it was a code thing l thing but you know what they say about assuming, it makes an ass out of you and ming.

26. Cutty

Cutty Well-Known Member

Compared to Alpha though... wow... that's my best summary

Speedz likes this.
  27. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The charm entity limit will be removed soon. We reserve the right to either enable it or something else if pet tanking bosses becomes a problem in the future.

Since Trakanon and the other non-warrior Kunark dragons will soon be riposting, I don't think pet zergs will be an issue until PoP. All I can say for now is, don't expect to monopolize PoFire bosses at 3:00am with a few enchanters. Killing a boss with charm every now and then is fine.

28. Secrets

Secrets Well-Known Member

If you have a fix for the netcode *feel free to submit it*, nothing is stopping you from doing that.

There is no conspiracy here. I've busted my ass on trying to get the netcode to where it is now. Arguably, it's better than it was 2 years ago when I started this codebase. If you think you can do better feel free to and contribute it back.

Khorpus and Speedz like this.
  29. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Shakerpage made people LD on Al'Kabor as well anyway. The server just granted them the experience anyway.

30. Toejam

Toejam Member

the PC "hack" client was notoriously unstable back on AK, especially with many entities (NPCs, PCs) nearby