Recent change to Rangers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamerman777, Apr 25, 2022.

1. gamerman777

gamerman777 New Member

I am very appreciative of all the hard work the devs put in and I am so glad to have the opportunity to play this awesome game freely. With that said, I know like Lincoln said you can’t please all the people all the time but I have one question…Why in the world did you nerf rangers? And to do it to their archery, which is one of if not the best thing they had going for them? Rangers are now reduced to an unwanted class. This is from someone who has played a ranger since EQ first started. They were not OP like some classes but they were fun and needed in range fights. Now all the time we invested in gearing them and AAs was useless. Give Rangers back their bread and butter, give back their archery skills PLEASE.

2. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Did you read the other long thread talking about it?

Linkamus likes this.
  3. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I'm also very sad and disappointed at this crippling and totally unnecessary recent nerf, as are the other Rangers in the guild who spent years building their characters.

Toomuch likes this.
  4. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

Even as the creator of that big thread and biggest complainer way back in Luclin, I've slowly ended up becoming fine with it. Mainly because we started putting more effort into mob positioning to allow for arrows, which has made the raid encounters a bit more dynamic.

5. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Foxboxx likes this.
  6. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

To put things in perspective.

For 3 min per hour. A trueshot ranger dps is equivalent to one tweaked out charm pet.

The charm pet is not limited on how long it can be used as high dps. And bards remove any risk for charm pets. So there is no risk vs reward discussion.

These “bugs” were either fixed or never existed on live. Supporting if they did actually exist, they were not intentional.

I suspect arrows were hitting pets more than poofing. And parallel to wall worked because no pets in the way. But once again. All subjective and anecdotal.

Linkamus likes this.
  7. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

This is 100% untrue.
    • Ranger melee DPS is still very good, especially if wearing EP weapons or better, and using fire & ice focus effects.
    • So long as your guild is willing to position bosses away from corners, a ranger's trueshot + gotf is *invaluable*, especially in PoTime. It is likely the best 2 minutes of DPS in the game (aside from maybe an ideal charm pet), and generates almost no aggro. Temerity would likely not be as far progressed in PoTime as we are without it.
    • Rangers being able to offtank in certain raid scenarios or in a pinch is extremely useful. See P1 PoTime
    • Weaponshield transfers is something no other class can do. Being able to spam 4 or 5 flamelicks/TW before the warrior AoE taunts the boss off you is a game changer for a lot of bosses.
    • Who would cast tunare & pred on the rogues if there were no rangers present?? :p
    Seriously though, using hyperbole like what I quoted above is not going to convince anyone to see your side of the argument.

8. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Yeah but enchanters have nothing to charm in the hardest zone in game where that type of dps is extremely necessary.

9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This is true, outside of clerics, rangers are the class we have the most of on our Time raids.

Clearly Quarm would already be dead if we had more rangers than clerics, but we don't live in that dream world and we lacked the foresight to flag 10 rangers our 2nd round of flags. Instead we got 20 enchanters to Bliss mobs to death.

Neealana, Linkamus and Devour_Souls like this.
  10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

6 warriors. 24 clerics. 4 enchanters. 2 shaman. 24 rangers. Quarm would be dead.

Quit slacking.

Radda, Cadsuane and Linkamus like this.
  11. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

Why not just unnerf rangers but let their archery have regular melee aggro? That way you all lose

Gindainy likes this.
  12. Denzal

Denzal Active Member

I say let them have archery but make it a 1% chance for the ranger to be deathtouched on every arrow. A bit of russian roulette if you will.

Dairmuid and Linkamus like this.
  13. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

Linkamus likes this.
  14. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

There are reports of some people advocating for nerfs/keeping content incorrectly more difficult. In order to block guilds from higher content. This behavior better halt.

The goal of this project is to replicate AK. To make things like AK was not including bad game breaking bugs.

showstring and Linkamus like this.
  15. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

im having way too much fun with paint lately

Radda, Sketchy, actualspaide and 3 others like this.
  16. actualspaide

People being blamed for blocking others content is as alkabor as it gets

Dane likes this.
  17. necra

necra People Like Me

sounds like something someone who is blocking content would say :p

18. actualspaide

Wait til i start killing coirnav trigger to block you even more!

Cadsuane likes this.
  19. surron

surron People Like Me

yea honestly i miss being trained on every rztw attempt by a few members of temerity back on eqmac lol

20. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

Had the top guild on my old server hire out a Euro guild to block us from PoTime by doing this exact thing. They (Valon) gave the euro's (Arch of Chaos) rot loot in exchange for socking the coirnav trigger with 1 grp when it spawned during euro hours. It worked for like 2 or 3 months until we finally just sat on coirnav spawn for an entire day.

As far as trying to block other guilds on TAKP, I haven't seen anything other than a couple people joking about leaving bertoxx ae bugged back in like week 3 of PoP. I think I saw 5+ people talking about how nasty and bugged his ae was in alliance, it wasn't being kept secret. Everything that's been broken/bugged has been reported immediately, sometimes we don't even notice something is broken and Torven has a fix underway already since he's been watching quite a few of the kills. Overall the PoP raids have been pretty damn polished by the time we try them. Really has been impressive.

pivoo, Manstache, Dairmuid and 4 others like this.
  21. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Wow, there's a name I hadn't heard in a long time. (I had left that server by that point)

22. Dryfly

Dryfly Active Member

I recall on classic being able to find an angle on most raid mobs that were cornered (though I did not raid a ton back then). I recall also that I could pull aggro more easily using a bow than I can here. Regardless, if (as stated previously) the corner issue is deemed a bug, I would say fix it. If not, we can continue to hit wall positioned mobs just fine.