UI question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacky, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jacky

jacky Member

I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer to my question directly so I thought I'd post.

I'm a returning player from '99-02 period.

I really, really would love to activate the classic (grey, claustrophobic) UI. I have tried changing the line in the .ini file to read UISkin=Classic that did nothing.

I just downloaded eveything via the TAKP guide... and I think right now I've been using the luclin UI... which is the 3rd iteration of EQ's Ui I believe.... the "modernist" transparent black UI being their "upgrade" from what I'm looking for. The Luclin UI is based on this... but I really hate the Luclin UI... it's pretty lame imho. These transparency fades.... ;/

Anyone know a workaround?

2. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

jacky likes this.
  3. Aporia

Aporia Member

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is go into eqclient.ini and change NewUI=TRUE to NewUI=FALSE. This will get you the classic UI, but will also cause EQ to load in its classic resolution (either 600x800 or 480x640). In order to get the classic UI in full screen, you'll need to change your native resolution to match EQ's before launching the game.

jacky likes this.
  4. jacky

jacky Member

I will try this tonight and report back - thanks to you and the above.

5. jacky

jacky Member

Changing that line of code did not change the UI unfortunately.

Also noticed that there is a line in the .ini file that reads

"UISkin=CLASSIC"
    as well as
    WindowedMode=TRUE
    NewUI=FALSE

.... so even with that "classic" in there it doesn't work... weird

6. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

might be worth a shot but the classic UI is called "default_old" in my folder, could try changing uiskin to default_old, or try the /loadskin default_old 1 in game (or whatever the load ui skin command is)

im definitely not an expert on this stuff

jacky likes this.
  7. Aporia

Aporia Member

Ah, sorry to hear that, Jacky. I just changed NewUI to FALSE in my .ini and it worked fine. I did notice, however, that I don't have a line called UISkin. Maybe try deleting it? Also, my NewUI line appears under Defaults, roughly the second line of the whole file. Might try moving yours to that position if it isn't already there?

...And after looking around for another moment, my WindowedMode line =1, not TRUE. I'm also using Secrets's client with HotKeyNet, and loading with eqgame rather than eqw. I'm not sure exactly how your WindowedMode setting would interfere with the UI, but it might be something to look at.

BTW, thanks for the idea. Going to try the classically interfaced life for a few.

Mambo and jacky like this.
  8. jacky

jacky Member

@Aporia Thanks so much! I'm gonna try to mess around with my .ini file tonight to see if I can get it to work somehow. I've downloaded the normal mac client...and then use the official TAKP launcher by Speedz...maybe you could lead me to where you are DLing the client and such? im on a iMac from 2012...everything else working very, very smoothly. i've started an Enchanter... i'll be going 5-10 in FoB once I get this classic feel thing going :)

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

This is a 2002 era server, not 1999, embrace the updated UI :p

You will regret using the classic UI when you cant use things like the raid window.

jacky likes this.
  10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Classic UI will crash. So be ready for CRs from the associated LD and subsequent death.

Mambo and Lenas like this.
  11. jacky

jacky Member

I met you halfway and found a way to load in the "classic no frills" Velious UI... which I like better than PoP Default :rolleyes:

I'm happy meeting you somewhere in 2000 :cool::p

See you around... I'll be the ENC casting minor illusion in PoK all the time pretending to be light fixtures

sowislifesowislove and Lenas like this.