The need for a takp wiki

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torven, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I'd like to add that it doesn't need to be called a wiki, it isn't technically one, but it serves the same purpose. I am very much willing to maintain the site and add things where I can, but it will really need community involvement to become more useful over time. I do not intend to be a curator, only to provide a platform in which people could share information.

2. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I think the site will work for the server. Someone taking the initiative to create it and host it is a big hurdle that you cleared. Community involvement is key, yes. I found the site very easy to use so there should be no technical barrier.

3. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Don't give out my download link publicly. It's the same google drive/account I host all of my data and is my personal google account.

We need a safe long-term host for a client download. This is why I asked somebody to run a seedbox for a torrent. Some people already have one, so for them it wouldn't require money or much time to set up. Public torrents can be shared with a magnet link, so you don't even have to download a torrent file-- you can just click a link if your browser knows to route it to a client, otherwise you just paste it into the client. I don't have the money to spend or I would do this myself.

I got the UI from here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=462 then added some missing bazaar search window inputs and made the spellbook button visible. The original Vert UI is here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=66 which shows a screenshot. Maybe the original Vert UI was just like that.

4. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

This is the closest I could find quickly, although mine doesn't actually show mana and also has resists in the window.

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=1428

I wouldn't think it's a big deal if the slots in the normal vert didn't seem so totally random. As a side note, the UI layout in the original vert link screenshot is horrific.

5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Wordpress won't work for what I had wanted to do, but I'm really looking for excuses not to do it so because it's a lot of work, so I'm not going to cry about it. Also I don't like forcing people to sign up and pages listing an author. If people see my name as the author of a page, they will be less likely to edit it; or they'll put something dumb on there and it will have my name on it. Also article dates make no sense for a wiki.

Unlike other servers, TAKP is open source, which means we have need for an entirely different main branch based on server development. Just off the top of out head, wiki entries for the following topics would be ideal:

An overview of how the server functions, the platforms/server software it runs on, etc.
    Installation guides for Windows and Linux
    The editor alone (which is not user friendly) is a couple dozen entries:
    NPC stats; Loot tables; NPC spell sets; Spells database; Factions; Tradeskills; Zones; Items; Server rules; Account management; etc.

The data collection procedures and log parsing tools I've developed is another dozen entries:
    How to parse NPC hitpoints
    How to parse NPC damage and attack delays
    How to parse NPC resist values
    How to use showEQ to determine NPC aggro radii
    How to capture zone and showEQ video
    Parsing raid boss spell recast delays
    etc.

6. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  7. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Sorry Torven, didn't realize it wasnt public yet. I didn't post it anywhere myself. Lenas has provided a solution, maybe not exactly what you are thinking, but it will fulfill the need to distribute key information. As you said, it is a lot of work, if you can offload some responsibility, take advantage. You have a unique understanding of stats, EQ, and coding, critical to accurate emulation and success of the project. As for client distribution I am not very technical, I don't know about hosting a torrent or anything like that. Someone from the community will step up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

Lenas, is there functionality that will make this more than a collection of pages? If the goal is to one day have a P99 quality user contrubuted wiki, what tools are there to easily make this happen (e.g. [[]] linking)? I'm not saying this won't work, but I'm not familiar with it and therefore don't know how it will compare on a large scale to a wikipedia style site. I can see this becoming cumbersome if the tools aren't there to mass produce information.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Do we need as many pages as the p99 wiki given that we have the allaclone? It would be great to see the Allaclone with more data, then it would be more useful.

10. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

we restricted some options on allaclone to better reflect the zam site. However, you can probably set up an allaclone to open up more options for the wiki.

11. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    surron likes this.
  12. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Lenas potus 2016. Thanks again for taking the initiative to create this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Link to the wiki added under TAKP Resources.
    And added navbar link.

14. Speedz

15. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Anyone able to help with this? Anyone have any other ideas on how to best distribute this client file? Can we create an anon Google account and post it there, or are there some sort of limits? It would be great to be able to distribute the stripped client Torven spent time on.

16. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

Thanks Lenas for setting that up.

Finally got around to making a quick instruction sheet to go with Torven's copy. I gave up on the UI options and layouts. There is too much personal preference and way to many options to package it for everyone. Instead I added some tips.

This (attached) was sort of what I had in mind. Take it or leave it, but I thought it might help out the less tech savvy get in without any headaches. Could probably use a proofread as well. If not included directly in the file maybe a file with a link to this info on a wiki page?

Attached Files:

Lenas likes this.
  17. Speedz

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Lenas likes this.
  18. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Just about every guild on AK had a technical help section to their websites. We should compile all of that knowledge into the wiki somehow.

19. Speedz

It is setup for anyone to register and add to it.

Lenas likes this.
  20. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Put up a rough skeleton of an outline for the site, feel free to add subjects or sub sections.

Lenas likes this.
  21. Speedz

Ya squashed the guild and rotation pages I made earlier lol
    *Fixed it

Elrontaur likes this.
  22. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I made an account... may I begin contributing? I would love to help with updated spell lists and PoK vendors... I feel something like this would be uniquely valuable to us here.

23. Speedz

Lenas runs it, but I am sure its a add as you like kinda thing.
    It does need more people adding good data to it.

24. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Anyone can add information to the website at any time. Please DO contribute, that's what it's there for.

Speedz likes this.
  25. Speedz

This would also help if people with indepth game knowledge made pages that are like our TAKP Progress page,
    but with user editable "working/not working" entries. With details on quests/NPCs and what ever else is related to each entry.

Having this resource populated by many will help speed up the progress and keep the server as accurate as possible as the devs can use the entries there to continue to build further content.

26. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Prefer we contribute using the wiki system proper, or through GIT commits (requires dev access)?

27. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

The wiki has no repository nor should anyone ever need to modify files. If you have information to add to it, just go to the site and create or edit pages with the front end tools.

28. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Ok thanks :)

29. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

It would be great if we could import data from Allaclone, then update it via wiki. It would be lovely to have a user editable Allaclone ;)

30. shortok

shortok People Like Me

I have zamiel's eqmacwiki dump and a domain, but I'm dumb and still trying to find a time where my smart friend and I can get it running. If anybody wants a copy of the dump, let me know.

Kuron, Elrontaur and Oiwon like this.