Team Chain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pithy, Jun 16, 2022.

1. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

is that just a terminal command, Meriadoc? do you find any lag with it in raid environments? I had made a big fancy bash script a while back that tailed my log files and i found that while raiding it would get several minutes behind. i've since moved to using a c++ thing that Majo wrote that's much faster/better.

2. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I'd love to take a peek at what "Majo wrote"!
    I haven't thrown that particular awk command at a log file during a raid, but my python parser sucked pretty bad, so I re-wrote it in C.
    https://github.com/kai4785/takp

I enjoy playing more than tinkering with the dps tool, but I have the dps tool running 100% of the time. It parses my 600 MiB log file (all of 2022 so far) in 9 seconds, and has no problem keeping up with raids.
    Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    By comparison, that awk "one liner" parses the log in 5 seconds if I tell it to just print the line instead of take the time to espeak it. So I'm sure awk would be fast enough for those 5 regexp.
    I'm also certain that bash's fastest string manipulation and regexp would absolutely be slower than a comparable awk script, which in turn would be slower than an optimized C/C++ application, which is what I aimed for. My parser is zero-copy wherever possible, avoids regexp in favor of small-ish string comparisons, and is the ugliest form of Object Oriented code I've ever seen (let alone written!) in C.
    Oh, and it's also cross platform between linux, windows, and mac!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Break likes this.
  3. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you so much! I will give it a try tomorrow, when I get to play a little bit. Can't wait :D

4. Break

Break People Like Me

Oh, thanks for sharing this. I was trying to look for log notifications in Mac, and someone mentioned the "tail -f" command to parse new lines in a log. I think this may be portable to mac with a few changes. I don't care about raids, so if it can keep up with a group, I'd be plenty happy.

Edit: I think you'd combine that script with this to enable system level notifications with text and sound.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  5. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Works perfect, thank you again!

6. Break

Break People Like Me

7. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Curious, which language this is? It is not bash script, correct?

I'm trying to create clickable bash script, so I can have few different, for example, I can run one when charming, different one when using tank... I tried, how would you normally run bash script, although I know almost 0 about it. This is what I'm trying:

Code:
    Terminal opens where it should, but I'm unable to 'insert' your command inside of it, and run it, like I can with some other bash commands.

If there a way, to have your command being able to run by double clicking on icon on the desktop?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  8. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Create a new text file titled "charmscript.command"

In the file:

Code:
    Save file.

The .command should make it clickable from desktop and clicking it will open terminal and run the commands in order.

9. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you!

For some reason, this is not working on my Arch based Linux.

File is treated as text file, regardless of .command in the name.
    If I double click it, it opens in text editor regardless if I have it set as "Allow this file to run as a program" or not

10. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I open a new terminal window, and run commands directly in the shell.
    I am often referencing this guide. Section 2.1 will walk you through creating executable shell scripts. Other sections will help you figure out what you can put in them.

Sorry, I'm just not a Desktop guy, I'm sure there's a way to do it. Maybe this?

11. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you! That is, what I'm doing also. And I'm just being lazy lol. I did get some of this working, for example, running your script to start one instance of game client I have icon on desktop with this content:

Code:
    And to run 3 instances of game client I have this set up:

Code:
    Works great, so I was thinking to be even more lazy. ;)

Thanks for all your work, you are sharing with us.