PoWater - Can we fix the clip plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerimShadowreaver, Aug 10, 2022.

1. JerimShadowreaver

JerimShadowreaver Active Member

PoWater has a very short clip plane, you are essentially blind in there.
    Take a look at this video of a Coirnav kill and notice the difference in our PoWater clip plane and the one in the video.

Being nearly blind isnt fun or "challenging" its annoying at best imo. Any chance we can push this out so ppl can see better?

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

This is something that was changed to be 'easier' I guess. They also took out the melee pushing things around. I think your point is valid, it's annoying, but so is looting your corpse and memming spells, etc. It's just how it is in this version.

Tesadar, Sketchy, Radda and 2 others like this.
  3. JerimShadowreaver

as far as akkurate, that term is used pretty loosely here. mental corruption used to fill mana bars, pacify was oermanent, quarm was unkillable. Any reason we cant fix the lighting so we can see?

4. 98bcobra

98bcobra Member

I dont know this one is from 16 years ago. It is no were near as dark and the clip plane was much better.

5. JerimShadowreaver

ya thats what im talking about, you can actually see whats going on. makes the game far more enjoyable when you can see whats happening
    I dont think its much of an ask to improve that imo

6. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I don't think there is any way to fix it without altering the client. I hope there is some sort of server-side file validation for our zone files.

7. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I believe this is a client limitation. So I doubt anything can really be done here. I may be corrected though!

The clip plane in PoWater or any underwater zone is god awful, definitely agree!

That WoD clip is from 2006, after the client had been updated quite a bit from ours. Not a great data point to compare against. For reference Prophecy of Ro or Serpents Spine were out. In that video you can see a Necro wearing a shield from DoDH Spell mission 69.1 as an example.

In fairness though the bad clip plane does make the Coirnav encounter more difficult as you can’t see all the enemies you have to contend with until they’re almost on top of you. When you’re dealing with a fixed time event, not being able to quickly target and either pull mobs means you have even less wiggle room to actually kill them because you spend a lot of time trying to find them and pull them in.

Lots of things in this game, especially with this client, this server and this era of EverQuest, are a bunch of annoying or tedious mechanics that are frustrating to deal with but do make things more time consuming, more difficult, or both.

It’s just the price of playing on this server, warts an all. Other servers like the Agnarr TLP don’t have these issues and offers the same content. Or even P2002 has new client without these issues I bet. But they don’t have much of the charm or other mechanics this server has.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Tesadar, Mokli and showstring like this.
  8. JerimShadowreaver

i dont know bud, thats above my head as far as how it all works.

9. solar

Some people consider the bad UI and view to be part of making the game harder to play. People who aren't troubled by it are going to want those who are, to have a harder time. It's not really fair because some people have physical/mental impairments that make certain things disproportionally harder and this type of game UI design has fallen out of favor.. things like tapping buttons rapidly, blanking or rapidly flashing the screen, jumping the cursor around to make it difficult to click something, basically things intended to target the human player and not the player's game avatar. But back in this era, people designing games still thought this was ok to do.

10. JerimShadowreaver

there is no way to fix this?

11. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

It's a client issue... same as F8 targeting, constantly zone crashes, UI limitations, raid window limits, framerate issues

all would make the game significantly easier to play, but, you know, EQMac and all

12. solar

For a customized private server I suppose you can do anything you want, but it's not appropriate for TAKP in general. People play this because they like the crappy old way, so even if this was changed to make some users happy it would irritate others who want you to suffer through it like they did.

13. lurari

lurari People Like Me

You're asking if all the approved clients can be modded. Perhaps.

Should they?

How many other post-2002 client modifications do we have?

As much as we'd like mouse scroll wheel and bard song window, buff timers, etc. too, but then we aren't playing EverQuest as it was in the era any longer.

Frosst likes this.
  14. necra

necra People Like Me

Goggles?

15. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I suppose when TAKP source code gets released, somebody can host an updated server with a more modern out-of-era client (like p99)

Newer client would offer significant QoL improvements, and it might make the game more fun for some. You could have in game maps, better raid window, melody, song window, native ranged autoattack, far better clip plane and water, better framerate, better mob targeting, F8 target cycling, mousewheel zoom, no night blindness, better fizzles, modern tradeskill UI, spell damage showing up in logs/parses, spell sets, bandolier, autoinventory, etc etc etc.

All this could be done without changing the PoP content. Imagine the enjoyment boost!

16. solar

That doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, but just not for vanilla TAKP.

17. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Sounds a lot like the Agnarr server to me!

showstring likes this.
  18. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

There was a time when you could have no bounce on levi under certain conditions here. That likely would help a lot if everyone including pets didn't bounce when viewed. Could look to do that in trouble areas like PoW. Doesn't seem like there is buy in to change it though. I don't recall framerates going to 15 during the Cornav event back then on live, but the EQ Mac client wasn't live from back then.

Oh, nm, I thought we were talking about the performance of the zone. I actually like the small depth of field. Makes areas terrifying underwater.

Manstache likes this.
  19. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

I would kill to be able to see underwater, but as others have said it's part of the client and like most client issues is infeasible to fix.

20. Mardark

Mardark Member

This is how DirectX 8 is in the takp client.

Dark

21. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

Can we have real time logs broken? It allows out of era modding that simplifies the game far beyond any suggestions in this thread.

I'm only half joking. I actually enjoy the dark water, but it is really ironic to see people pointing out "EQ is meant to be hard" while at the same time extensively using out of game tools to make the game much easier.

solar likes this.
  22. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

log parsing doesn't actually mod the game client, so....

23. Notorious

Notorious Member

I thought someone would have said something about monk ac and rangers arrows by now

24. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Ranger arrows need moar AC! It's a slap in the face to all monk archers.

25. InkEyes

InkEyes New Member

so whats the vision for this server because its not really about being akkurate because a lot of things arent akkurate.

26. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

pretty sure the vision is horribly obscured by the poor clip plane in powater. can't see a damn thing.

27. solar

This isn't like modifying the loot table to drop more items, this is just how the game was written to be. In general we don't modify the game client, it is against the rules here, and it's not like we could force people to use a specific modified version anyway. The external mods that seem to have become the meta here like GINA, ZlizEQMap and similar are already pushing it.

Neealana likes this.
  28. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

200w (1).gif

Devour_Souls and Mokli like this.
  29. Radda

Radda People Like Me

i like it hard, im for the horrible clip plane

30. Identikit

Identikit Member

Honestly it should probably be shorter.