Something weird just happened.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrinn, May 14, 2023.

1. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

I was in Butcherblock, and found the orc runner. That's not weird in itself. What is weird, though, is where I found him. Usually, you find him on the path from the G'Fay zone, running towards the crossroads. I found him on the path running from the Dagnor's Cauldron side to the crossroads. I never saw him with that pathing before either here, or on live. Is this normal? Does he have another spawn point near Dagnor's, or did he somehow manage to sneak past the guards at the crossroads to make it over to the Dagnor's side?

2. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

3. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

But how does he manage to get past the 3 guards at the crossroads without dying?

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  4. Elroz

when i went through the newbie zones i made guards attack npcs they weren't previously attacking on takp, so they probably chased something down that opened the path for the runner to make it through. I tested which npcs the guards should attack or ignore on live servers to get it as accurate as i could.

I'd guess it's rare that timing matches up like that, but magelo shows at least 1 made it through! I'm pretty keen on getting all the right factions fighting each other because I think it changes the whole dynamic of vanilla zones. Makes it more likely you'll find rare spawns up because the zone has npcs dying even when no one is there, and opens up weird quirks like this scenario where a mob makes it past guards because they were busy with another mob.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Radda, Pithy, solar and 4 others like this.
  5. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

I saw the orc centurion, that is a placeholder for the orc runner, down the path where the dwarven bandit stands, today. He managed to get past the three at the crossroads, and the one at the house down the road going towards Kaladim.

6. Elroz

hmm i just watched the orc runner and his ph get killed by the crossroad guards on takp, it ran right next to them. Guard Zyburr and Guard Mandin

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  7. Elroz

yeah i definitely see an issue with guards not killing some npcs though, they kill orcs/goblins/wandering greenbloods but don't seem to be killing the spiders etc

8. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

They're also supposed to kill Corflunk and Zarchoomi, but I haven't seen either of them up, though.

9. Elroz

i figured out the issue i was seeing in butcherblock, we have a limit of 20 factions associated with any given faction, storm guard has 29 factions attached (8 were ones I added when i divided up newbie mobs), so all 9 factions past 20 on the list were being ignored. Storm guard is the only faction currently I could find where it interacts with more than 20 factions.

All that being said, it just means the butcher guards and some random dwarves in other zones arent attacking newbie mobs mostly that I divided up into unique factions - (skunks, rats, snakes, bats, drakes, spiders, and a couple others). They should be killing the orcs and goblins fine though.

Mechaike and Pithy like this.
  10. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

I feel maybe I should add this tidbit here instead of making an entirely new thread about 'em, but Kelethin guards are also not attacking pixie tricksters or basilisk hatchlings. I cannot quite remember if they are supposed to kill hatchlings, but pixie tricksters almost certainly. Aggroing a basilisk is practically guaranteed death like this, though =P.

Neealana and Elroz like this.
  11. Elroz

fixed them, thanks fox!

edit: rob and solar doubled the faction limitation so there can be 40 associated factions now, so the butcher guards will be killing everything after the next update too.

Tuluvien, Mechaike, Neealana and 3 others like this.
  12. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

Radda and Elroz like this.
  13. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

The guards don't kill the arboreans either, but I think they are supposed to ignore the tree thingys and elven skeletons. Maybe.

14. Elroz

Yeah they dont kill arboreans, the elven skeletons are weird because wasps and other npcs are supposed to attack them, but not guards

15. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

Corflunk! That dude killed me many a time....one day I'll go back and pay him back!

16. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

Corflunk and Zarchoomi have killed many a young dwarf. They probably have more kills than Tovax, Varsoon, and Holly Windstalker in Qeynos Hills.

OuterChimp likes this.