New player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xenoxod, Dec 2, 2015.

1. xenoxod

xenoxod New Member

I am interested in starting EQ again and I started messing around with project 1999 and EQ tlp a week ago. This project looks interesting, but I have a few questions I hope you could answer.

Does this client allow you to zoom the view in and out with the mouse wheel? I saw project 2002 did not let you do this.

Are pets buffed up like on the tlp servers?

I saw cabilis is in the game, but I wasn't sure if other parts of kunark were enabled such as Over there. What about Guk?

How are shamans at soloing at the end of PoP era maybe without torpor?

Thank you.

2. surron

surron People Like Me

mouse wheel zoom didn't exist until 2006 I dont understand why people need it so bad... before p99 I thought everyone played in first person view

anyways no it doesn't work here but pressing f9 twice and then zooming out is very similar, its just when you right click to move the view with your mouse it also raises the Z coordinate which mouse wheel zoom doesnt.

haven't played on tlp servers but pets are pretty good until the high end game where they quickly get out dps/tanked by a 55+ melee

cabilis and fob have been in game since launch so people could choose Iksar right away. we are in Kunark now so all Kunark zones are open. Guk hmm, do you mean upper and lower guk? yes they've been in since day one.

well hopefully by lvl 65 you have quiescence and you wont need torpor, but a 65 shaman with a 70% slow is pretty decent but it's not like you'll be plowing through PoV mobs. you'd wreck though with a 65 melee.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Oiwon and Khorpus like this.
  3. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

Welcome to the server :)

Currently all of Kunark (to my knowledge) is unlocked. You also have access to the Vah Shir race, beastlord class, Shar Vahl and Shadeweavers (to allow all races and classes) and access to PoK (to make travel easier). The game is otherwise currently Kunark-locked, awaiting Velious.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. xenoxod

xenoxod New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I don't remember if I used 3rd person back in the day, I just liked looking at my old ogre model this last week.

I used to aggro kite with my necro in PoV I think, but I thought I would try a shaman this time. Can you root those guys and dot them?

5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Sure, when PoP releases here in a few years.

6. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

I have no words for this. First question is taking into consideration of whether or not one will play here based on mousewheel 3rd person perspective? just hit F9 a couple of times. This server is a classic server. Ugh, man.

Oiwon likes this.
  7. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

Only danger with root/dotting stuff in the higher levels is with summoning mobs. But if you find some that don't summon then you can do it all day. But we are still in Kunark era at the moment so there are none of those PoP planes yet anyway. There is plenty of stuff these era which you can solo well with a shammy. The reason people hate the external views in old EQ is because they don't know how to use the view properly. If you press f9 twice you get a behind the character view which is very similar to mouse-wheel-scrolled-out view. The only difference is that it rotates up and down with the mouse which takes a bit of getting used to, but it is more or less the same and perfectly playable like that. But the catch is that it defaults to directly behind the character which makes it unusable, and most people think that is all you can do with that view. Nothing you can do with the mouse will fix it so it seems stuck there. But you can actually zoom in and out using the keys (I think Insert and Delete) and that way you can zoom out a bit and it makes it a lot like most modern MMO's. That said I only ever use first person because that's what I've always used for this game. I only ever use the f9 views when I want to check out what my gear looks like.

p.s. I highly recommend multi boxing on this server. You are allowed to play up to 3 but even just 2 will make life so much easier than solo.

8. Tollen

Tollen Member

also alt + up down arrow, or pgup and pgdn key can adjust the camera angles. using the mouse will reset this

9. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

Welcome to the server! Shamans are supremely powerful in kunark and beyond. However most people on this server 3 box, not all but most. The boing limit is 3. If you paired pretty much any melee with your shaman you would have no trouble farming xp mobs all the way into PoP.

If you chose to just solo, shaman will be fine no doubt, or you could build a trio around it depending on how active you want to be at playing all 3 toons. If you are looking for shaman duo/trio suggestions I'm sure lots of people would help you out with suggestions ;)

Personally I think pally/shaman/x is just incredibly powerful. Pally can paci split almost all camps, tank, and stun casters and melee alike to greatly reduce incoming damage. Shaman can buff, slow, regen, heal, dps to complete the duo. From there you can add what ever you like. A bard if you just want an AFK health/mana song bot who can also mezz adds, or a dps of any sort: mage/wiz/necro/beast lord (beast crack at higher levels)/rogue (gets you into otherwise unaccesible dungeon areas)/even ranger would work. Things to look for in a 3rd imo would be dps, mana regen, snare, or perhaps a porter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. vannari

^ I think that is the best trio in the game. Pally, shammy, and any self sufficient dps. I went with SK/shammy/dps but I regret not being a pally instead.

11. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

SK can get it done also, and can split camps that the pally couldn't with FD, but those are rare by comparison. I imagine it would just take a bit more work for the initial camp split with SK/sham instead of pally and after that you would be ahead in terms of dps, though having pally rez is also really nice.

12. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I'm doing Paladin / Shaman / Necro and it is certainly strong. Lull is so crazily overpowered on this server that the Paladin single pulls nearly everything. A slow with the shaman and heals are rarely needed. Necro adds solid sustained DPS with a beast of a pet, a backup FD puller if needed (havent really needed it yet), and can provide some burst damage when there are 2-3 in a pull.

I'm not high level yet, but I only imagine it gets stronger as the shaman gets better heals and better canni. It's a busy combination though!

13. Lumah

Lumah Member

How are SKs compared to other meatshields?

There really weren't any great SKs when I was playing on A'K, so I'm "bored" of pally just because I've seen a lot of pallys and warriors in action. This thread reminded me that paladins can pac and I'm not sure whether or not to keep my enchanter or go with a nec or mage.

14. surron

surron People Like Me

well they are a plate tank so pretty good meat shields, life taps keep them on par with pally heals kinda. but imo SK is the worst class in PoP era except on AK where mental corruption bug kept them viable. pally out shines them in everything except FD pulls, and non undead dps

15. Lumah

Lumah Member

Alright thanks - any particular reason we never sent the SKs out to split and preferred the monks instead? Was it more about a lack of SKs or do monks get a clear advantage in Velious/Luclin content?

16. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

SK's hardly pulled on live either for raids, I think it was just because they hadn't honed their skill set to be pullers until later in the game than monks had. I'm hoping to be a viable raid puller on my SK, after playing a monk so long I think it's very doable, especially once I get Death Peace in velious. The cast time on FD is the main problem for SK's though, it's tougher to time your FD for the split second after a spell lands on you, especially when splitting multiple casters. SK has to rely on distance and geometry more than monks. On the flip side though, SK's can FD and use pets to split mobs in ways that monks can't. It's useful being able to FD, send a pet and keep backing it off while it brings the mobs back to you, while never actually getting on the hate list on the SK. Also being able to snare has some huge advantages for splitting in certain situations.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  17. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

It's always odd to hear people talking about the camera perspectives, i guess because it's never been an issue for me regardless of which server i'm playing on. Anyways welcome to the best little gem of an EQ server. Good community and Dev team here, you will enjoy it should you decide to play here :)

18. vannari

Yeah the cast time on a SK fd is a lot slower than a Monk who can pretty much instantly flop down. But the real killer is the recast time. If your FD fails, it's like 10 seconds or something until you can do it again and they feel like the longest seconds ever. You need to be able to kite stuff and/or have a huge hp pool to survive a failed fd. While you level up, a failed FD is usually definite death. Only at high levels when you have a lot of hp/ac/good gear can you really survive a failed fd. And it's not just an fd that fails as in "you fell to the ground" but also if a mob lands a spell on you after you fd, it cancels your fd too. FD splitting a camp of melee mobs is easy as cake, but if there are a bunch of casters in there... it's close to impossible. Like Elroz said the only real way of surviving that is to run behind a hill or a wall or something to break line of sight and then fd, which isn't always possible. Paci is so much better. But yeah the big tipping point for me is that Pallys get rez. It's not a very high percentage but it gets some xp back, but the important thing is that you don't need to run your character all the way back... Imagine doing some room deep in Sebilis, and something goes wrong and your dps or someone dies. Without a rez you have that huge run all the way back to seb, and then the problem of getting from the zone in back to your corpse. With a pally as your tank you can just rez them straight back in. It means you get to have a shammy as your healer instead with their super powerful slow, (or a druid), and you don't miss out on the one big thing - the rez.

That said, SK's have their place. I tank like a beast and nobody can steal aggro from me if I really want it. I have one spell which is close to instant cast which is enough to steal aggro at the start of a fight, and then I have a few other big spells that draw a lot of aggro. I only need a few casts to hold aggro for a whole fight, but if I cast all the spells, the mob is stuck to me like glue. I always hate it when warriors are tanking on a raid (sorry guys...) because I can only cast 1 nuke from my wizzy. Maybe two. Sometimes not even 1... But with an SK tanking I can cast a bunch of nukes and also land the shammy slow at 100% with no problem. Pally are a pretty good for this though too, their stuns are great aggro grabbers. Also, my AC is very high and my HP is pretty close to the top warriors, but when you think that I have a lifetap over time, and then a big DD lifetap which drains about 350hp a pop, it means that on a long fight I technically have an extra 1000+ hp if I use those.

Cool class. Has it's uses. But I would pick a pally if I was starting again :p But whatever you pick you can succeed and it's a great server.

Hoping? I saw you pull lots of zones and it was perfect!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  19. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

The biggest problem with with the Pally class is that DE Pallies don't exist.

Suriinya likes this.
  20. vannari

And Ikky :)

21. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Aren't the ikky city guards pallies?

22. vannari

For Cabilis? Maybe, not sure. But players can't be pallys cuz Ikky are supposed to be super evil and Pallys are supposed to be super good.

23. Tollen

Tollen Member

they are "crusaders" but that is not refuring to pallie. and some even have skelly pets.

Elrontaur likes this.
  24. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I always enjoyed how there was the level of Troll, DE, ogre evil, then there was the Ikky evil. No one likes those salamanders.

25. Krieger

Krieger Member

As soon as PoP AA's (Fading Memories) are available Bards will reign supreme as pullers.
    SK has superior sustained DPS with a snare, but I don't think they can really master swarming during this era.

26. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Generally speaking, anything a monk can pull, an SK can pull. My Al'Kabor guild had Sikkorak (monk) doing most of the feign pulling for years, then Zetro (SK) took over for a while before handing things off to me (monk). The results all looked pretty much the same.

For some tasks the monk will have a slight advantage: the instantaneity of monk feign *is* very nice when messing around with caster mobs, and underwater; voiddance is a poor man's harmshield, but stonestance and mend can really help. For other jobs, the SK will have the edge: some people make much of snare, which is useful now and then, but as a pulling monk on Al'Kabor, the SK tricks I envied were DA (a Dain scroll helps, but is only good for one use per raid) and the ability to tag around corners or while DA using a pet. Until Velious, monks have the edge on a faster feign refresh, then SKs pull ahead; starting in Luclin, the rapid feign AA pretty much levels things out.

It's true that once bards get fading memories, they'll be ideal for a lot of pulling work, even with tick-splitting and infinite bellow range disabled. Feign pullers will still get plenty of work, though: there are lots of jobs bards will be less suited to, and others where a bard and a feign-splitter working together will be best.

27. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

I was gonna say, pet pulling and DA are specialities of the SK. Well said Raven.

28. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

LRON WAS THE BEST AT EVERQUEST! HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT WHEN HE WAS SOOO GOOD. NOT ONLY DID HE RUN OFF THE TRASH OF THE SERVER HE ALSO WAS SO KIND TO GIVE FOOD AND WATER TO THE ENTIRE TEMERITY RAID!!! SUCH HOSPITALITY!

29. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

Mordor, Kaotic and even Saenayil come to mind.

30. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

Sikkorak was basically a god when it came to pulling. When it came to tricky pulls like the Zek brothers (when they were relevant) and the Bertoxxulous event, you couldn't ask for any better than him and Sassis.

Granted Im not speaking I'll about you at all since I don't think I raided much/at all when you or Zetro took over so I can't speak for you, but Sikk and Sass were insanely good at the job.