Jan2018 Anniversary Event Rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by showstring, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Someone sold their runed falchion to amilie pitt this reset. Thank you!

Thank you devs, looking forward to the new and old events.

2. Manstache

Manstache Active Member

i hope the new event is hat based

i have a lot

3. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

Is it correct that you only receive plat as a reward for turning in a memo?

4. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

Rob said the really good stuff is rare.

5. snorks

snorks Well-Known Member

Pls don't talk about VT in like fashion

6. Gnazzles

Gnazzles New Member

Anyone gotten decent rewards from the year 3 event yet (memorandums)? I've heard of an unlimited charges thurg gate item dropping but mostly small amounts of plat. A guy from my guild said he got an item that was some type of beads with no stats. "Gilded beads" perhaps, but I don't recall exactly the name.

7. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

Thanks for posting Gnazzles I was wondering this as well I have not gotten anything but gems and plat and pots.

8. Gnazzles

Gnazzles New Member

A guildie did 3x memorandum turn ins this morning. He got a pearl ring, copper band and a hematite.

9. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

My warrior got a Thurgadin port brick, unlimited charges, after 12 memo turn ins, otherwise only plat a a few gems. My BL got a 10 charge thorns potion.

Videri-Tala, Kagatob and Gnazzles like this.
  10. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

I really wanna think there is some great award besides the port brick which my beastlord still wants.

11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I dont know why you don't think an any class tolan's isn't great. I'd rather have a brick than guise - one is actually useful.

lurari and Videri-Tala like this.
  12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Guise is useful

Brick is a death trap

13. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

So now we know. Brick #1. Guise #3 (aon is bettah).

14. Manstache

Manstache Active Member

was there a level filter on the weapons quest? burned 6 slime staffs and mostly got potions.

got richer and prettier off langseax's tho, had fun

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  15. Videri-Tala

It's usually mostly potions.

I wonder if I have enough to last me until next year...maybe I needn't lust after a brick.

16. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Not to do with level or item or token as far as I can tell. I've done dozens of turn ins, and it's possible certain high end rewards are tied to specific action tokens maybe,but that overwhelming majority of turn ins will be gate potions. It's just a numbers game, hoping for RNG to show its favour.

17. Videri-Tala

Time to donate! :p

18. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I think for next year, I will revamp anniversary 2 and tweak 3 a bit. They are a bit out of balance I think.

Dane and showstring like this.
  19. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I've enjoyed the change up in grind. Events have been fun regardless.

20. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Disclaimer: These are all just my thoughts and suggestions for the future. I appreciate the fact that we even get these quests at all!

Year 1 - I liked the first one. With one clear goal (bag) it was just a "bonus" type feeling, not something I felt like I should really focus on while it's here. Farm some rare classic creatures or raid planar zones.

Year 2 - This one was not really balanced. The rewards were too generous for what was involved. I liked that the booby prize was still useful in the form of 5-10 Port or Heal potions and Velium Jewelry. The Tink Bags, AoNs, Fungis and CoFs that came out of it felt very generous even though I didn't see any of the later 3 in 80 turn ins. The guise seemed like an obvious anniversary reward as it's not really a power item just a fashion one, which I was pleasantly surprised to get around my 60th turnin!

Year 3 - I liked the idea pushing people into Velious content as the previous two were mostly focused in Classic/Kunark. I also liked that the drops allowed players of almost all levels (30+) to participate. The port brick was a neat reward but somewhat limited class appeal. Being a Druid I didn't really see much desire to try to do this quest after the first few turnins.

Going forward with these I'd say 1st year is perfect.

2nd year Id say the Tink bag reward rate is probably too generous. The top end stuff I think could be pulled and Guise maybe AoN could remain as the ultra rates and it would still retain desirability. The weapons to turn in, after the Langseax change, were somewhat limited such that a small handful of players could hold down all of camps and of the camps they were mostly level 30-40. I would suggest adding in some higher level weaponry to stick to the weapon theme. Some ideas:

Razing Sword of Skarlorn - Warlord Skarlorn (Sol B)
    Blade of Abrogation - PoSky Random

PoHate Randoms:

Revultant Whip
    Shrieking Ahlspiess
    Shuriken of the Tranquil
    Dark Metal Holy Watersprinkler
    Trueheart Shield
    Ashenbone Abbasi
    Ashenbone Axe
    Prismatic Shield
    Martune Rapier
    Runewood Shield
    Spitestone Shield

PoFear Randoms:

Amygdalan Tendril
    Fluxbladed Axe
    Eyerazzia
    Nautilus Shield

Velious:

Exquisite Velium Weapon Set
    Priceless Velium Weapon Set (ST Trash)
    Primal Velium Weapon Set (ST Named)

3rd Year - I'd throw another illusion as a rare reward so that porters/casters who don't see as much value in a Thurg port brick, are compelled to chase this one. Guise is always a safe bet, could maybe do the Crown of Deceit instead. Even a single dose good illusion Potion for evils who are stuck on the Crown quest until PoP gives us Project Illusion would be a big deal to some.

The quest mostly focused on killing Giants, Orcs and Kobolds which was 90% level 40ish camps and Velks offered two level 50ish camps. I'd suggest the drop be added in higher level areas. Icewell pit, Dragon Necropolis Rats, Sirens Grotto, Kael Arena, and ToV are all much more difficult areas that I think should be encouraged to see traffic.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    lurari, Loraen, Pithy and 4 others like this.
  21. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I agree with higher end camps / weapons would be great to see added, and also agree all the CoFs, Fungis are a bit much, and probably argue AoN shouldn't be in there either...

anniv events should be a fun little side thing

at present anniv2 is an absolute loot pinata and probably highest priority for any player to do, as is evident by all the camps being perma farmed

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    lurari and Mokli like this.
  22. Loraen

Loraen Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of Darchon's post, but let me quibble a bit:

I don't think the rewards of the 2nd anniversary event were overpowered . . . for 90% of the weapons. The problem was the other 10%. Aside from the Langseax business, the quest basically turned into a handful people semi-afk camping the goblin preacher / garton / froglok crusader for two weeks. The gate potions and weight reducing bags were great choices IMO. If we have multiple anniversary events running, what would be awesome is a different illusion item from each one.

Also, I agree that it would be great to see an event that was less focused on repetitively farming L40 mobs. It does let lower level players participate, but the reality is everyone has multiple 60s anyway, or will next year. I'm not sure sending people to TOV is the answer, though: I spend enough time in that zone as is. Another possibility would be to temporarily alter some unused zones, like say give all mobs in Dalnir +30 levels and see what happens.

Perhaps it would not be that hard to write up a small raid encounter or two? For example, suppose you turned in 4 kromrif messages to the Emissary, who then gives you a token to give to a dwarf in EW, who from 4 tokens then spawns a vindi level boss plus a few guards and other things to keep it interesting, and the boss then drops the port token with a 100% chance (all numbers can be adjusted based on the level of reward you want to offer).
    Finally, I think it would be cool to try to have the community come up with something a bit more involved from the lore angle. It's unfair to expect the devs to do EVERYTHING. It would be interesting to see some sort of anniversary thread quest ideas where something could be done and eventually come up with some longer, more interesting/involved quests and perhaps add to Norrath's lore a bit rather than slavishly aping Akkuracy (well, at least for 2 weeks out of the year).

Videri-Tala likes this.
  23. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Another thing that would be really cool would be to throw the Coin of Gala on starting city GMs.

So you could go to Grobb and slay the warrior SK and Shaman GMs for some Coins of Gala. Or go to Akanon and kill the king, etc.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  24. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I thought the year 3 reward was amazing. I don't believe the ultimate tier needs to apply to all classes equally (and much like any class that could've been a dark elf or can illusion anyway (bard/rog) sk etc) the year 2 reward tier certainly does not have the universal appeal. The big appeal from year 2 is the aon/fungi/cof tier as that can result in big money, and good droppable items. I was delighted to see a reward that would mean so much to the people who have it - but still wouldn't break the game. I thought year 3 was nearly perfect minus the 'minor' rewards feeling oddly trash esque.

lurari likes this.
  25. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

I got puppet strings still after a guise/aon

26. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Any weapon you can farm 5+ times an hour, is not intended. So doing a rez, tl, gate game, to speed up doing the quest, boarders on exploiting.

27. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

28. lurari

lurari People Like Me

I'll chime in: Year 2 rewards were exceedingly generous. It was rather easy for me to hold down 3 camps indefinitely, where I was getting a large number of tokens for minimal in-game action. I was able to get a bunch of plat in the form of an AoN and Fungi (market value items), as well as Tink bags (pure vendor cash drop) while farming for my Guise. The grind was numbingly easy and very, very profitable.

Year 2 didn't have that many camps - less than a handful of individuals could, like me, handle most every significant spawn camp and block the rest of the server from participating. Not great. And those that were farming weren't having fun.

Year 3 to me had a few issues compared to the previous event - the drops, while more widely available (GREAT!), were all NO DROP/LORE so it meant any time one dropped you had to gate back to PoK and then run back to your camp (Velks dogs? super fun run back); and there were effectively no secondary rewards. If Year 3 had similar items as Tink Bags, AoN, Fungi, Puppet Strings, etc. it would have been an excellent and bona-fide alternative - the brick is super cool.

Year 3 had better and more engaging camps, but the LORE tag and lack of secondary rewards made it a grind hoping to strike the lottery, not the best platinum farm in the game (with Guise potential) as Year 2 clearly is.

I don't know if the dev team wants to scale up the rewards from Year 3 or scale them down from Year 2, but for my two cents my #1 recommendation would be removing the LORE tag from the Memorandums.

Regardless of my constructive feedback, I want to say thanks for the Devs for implementing this for us. It's always fun to celebrate the server's past, present, and future, and doubly so with some "new" content, too. Here's to many more years!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    showstring and Videri-Tala like this.
  29. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

I'll just add that doing Langseax was a lot of fun. The exploit thing also doesn't really make sense, it seems exactly the type of thing which makes original EQ great. Is cothing in ST an exploit because you bypassed all the trash. Is recharging not an exploit? Is pbaoeing an exploit?

The thing that I enjoyed about it was for a couple of reasons. First it actually promoted working together, at one point we had 5 people sharing the drops all doing different roles. On top of that it was different guilds doing it together and it was super courteous. Compare that to the drama surrounding the camped mobs. The other reason is we were constantly coming up with new strategies to make it faster and I learnt a lot about game mechanics and classes.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do intentially, but if you could design the events to encourage this type of behaviour I think it would be better than the other static camps. And it would promote people working together.

Regarding the rewards, I don't contest they may need adjusting. But banning the type of gameplay the langseax quest encouraged would be disappointing. It's also worth noting that langseax required a lot of effort in APM.

Jugo! and lurari like this.
  30. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Luluri does raise a good point.

In the case of quests 1 and 3, the lore nature of the item required you return to PoK to turn it in and back out to your camp after turn in.

For Anniversary 2, this is a good idea because it forces the limited camps cycle out. But for the other two which generally are spread out across many camps that weren't being Locked down, I don't think it was necessary for the quest item to be more. though I do suppose that's one way to reduce the number of turn ins people are capable of.