How to Rogue on a low pop server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NarcolepticLTD, May 23, 2016.

1. NarcolepticLTD

NarcolepticLTD Member

Howdy gang. Really wanting to play a rogue here, but not sure the best way to go about it. I could solo with decent weaps up to a point, but the class really shines when grouping. Any advice here? I'm considering a 2 box with a pally, but wondering if it's probably faster to just level up a druid first and then PL the rogue.

I've done a bit of boxing since I started here, but get a bit annoyed having to move toons around/finding a camp where I can park the less active of the group... the pally/rogue idea feels like it may also be cumbersome swapping between 2 melee characters/positional requirements/etc. How does one rogue successfully on takp?

Also, Sneak pulling: is this actually a thing here or is that a p99 oddity? I've toyed around with it on my ranger but haven't had any success with it on takp.

Lastly... is there a big reason to level poison making here? Never rogue'd on live, so I'm not sure if poisons got any kind of work over on mechanics by luclin/pop. Is it still just a richman's money sink/only useful for ring 9 brews?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I think if you have the option of boxing, you're right that you're going to want something you can duo with a rogue. Shaman is the obvious and most efficient choice, but a druid will certainly work, especially at lower levels.

Poison-making got a big revamp during LoY, the expansion after PoP, so a lot of the best recipes even from what people think of as the "PoP era" won't be on TAKP. However, there are a couple of gems that make the skill worthwhile, such as the dex debuff (flesh rot III), which is great to have against raid mobs that rampage.

3. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Senbus solo'd ( meaning, did not box 2 ) to 60. Lot of /ooc Rogue LFG !

4. Zacharg

Zacharg New Member

Most rogues are welcome to join anyone's boxing group. You will just need to be proactive about searching for groups.

On the boxing side, I run a pally, rogue, shaman trio and find it pretty easy to manage after I pick a camp.

Takes some practice but like anything in life, it gets easier the more you do it.

5. NarcolepticLTD

NarcolepticLTD Member

thanks gang... I don't plan on messing with poisons till the rogue can cap them after 50 anyways but figured I'd ask heh... Right now I'm boxing a druid with a ranger, and the big hurdle I'm finding really is a camp where the druid can sit (used to soloing stuff on the move). These guards on the bridge in nektulos are nice and juicy, but soon will not be worth it.

I'm sure the more I work with multiple clients the easier it will become.

Anyone have any experience with sneak pulling here?

6. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Pretty sure "sneak pulling" does not work here.

Wake of tranquility or pacify work extremely well though.

7. NarcolepticLTD

NarcolepticLTD Member

Glad to hear that actually... never heard of it on live back in the day, and thought it was the oddest of 'mechanics' on p99.

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Sneak pulling was around on AK. If by that you mean the ability to single pull with ranged weaponry via sneak and hide and proximity.

9. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

I feel like you half-asked, so here is my half-unsolicited advice on building up with the intention of Rogue main:

Three box-
    If Druid/Ranger/Rogue works now, then I would figure SK/Cleric/Rogue will work even better. That lineup is potentially less DPS but shouldnt be too bad with your rogue, and gives you: a) a better tank, b) Rez, c) summon corpse at some point (should you want it), d) no competition between your chain wearing classes for higher end loot (have to beef up those tanks), e) feign death pulls, f) far superior healing and hp buff capabilities. In return you give up sow (potions), DS (again, potions), evac/port and regen.

Two box-
    Shaman/rogue is solid, but could be a lot of flipping between screens for just two toons.

Again, just my advice - by no means gospel.

10. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

+1 for shaman/rogue. I had a lot of fun playing that duo with my roommate a jillion years ago on live. He tanked slowed mobs on the shammy, I stabbed 'em with the hasted rogue.

11. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

This duo gets better at 44+ with chloroplast on the Shaman. Slowed mobs can be tanked while using canni to regen mana. Of course with torpor at 60+, there are no issues with the shaman tanking. A slow and two dots should keep the mob on the shaman with a rogue evading. Prior to this it's probably just more efficient to have the rogue tank and backstab when the mob flees.

If you are willing to three box, I would suggest SK, Cleric, Rogue as well. What you give up in haste you gain in stability and two easy-to-box classes. Three boxing a shaman takes a bit more work than a cleric.

12. NarcolepticLTD

NarcolepticLTD Member

I guess I could also root tank with the shaman. I think I'll give it some time while I level the druid/ranger a bit and see what I can come up with. Boxing definitely has it's advantages, but it also feels cumbersome, and kinda removes a lot of the 'immersion' element for me for some reason.

May also see if I can find a buddy who wants to level up with the rogue once I'm ready to put some time into it.