How much plat am I looking at to fully twink a Beastlord?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loadsamoney, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

At some point I intend to reroll my existing Beastlord which is defunct and play it again from level 1. It won't be for some time as I still have much progression to make on my Paladin, my main character at the moment, but some of the equipment I'm eventually looking to acquire for the Beastlord:

Steel Hilted Flint Dagger
    Sceptre of Destruction x2
    Mask of the Dragon Slayer
    Matchless Dragonhide Breastplate
    Fungus Patch Vest
    Fungus Covered Great Staff
    White Dragon Helmet
    Cloak of Flames
    Belt of the Great Turtle
    Obulus Death Shroud

There are probably other items to consider, and none of this would be until after I've decked out my Paladin in at least full Thurgadin armor, and preferably full Ornate armor first, but once I'm at the point where I can no longer upgrade my Paladin with plat and upgrades have to come exclusively from raiding, how much am I looking to spend to twink out a Beastlord to the extreme?

2. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

How much (if any) of this would you want to try and get on your own? Looking at the list, some of these items would be pretty easy to attain with your paladin, maybe with a healer following you around. Steel Hilted Flint Dagger and Belt of the Great Turtle come to mind. Fungus Patch Vest and Obulus Death Shroud too but they're more rare so that would be a time-consuming endeavor.

The Matchless BP you'd probably have to hire someone to farm it for you; Sontalak and Klandicar are basically never killed except as a challenge for someone trying to flex their 3-box skills. They've probably died less than 5 times combined in the past year.

Also in my experience, you'll probably find the fungus covered great staff to be underwhelming due to the snare component which will overwrite SoW.

3. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

fungus staff also it has to be equipped to click, and min level 35 to click

here's a rough price check

Steel Hilted Flint Dagger - 10-15k
    Sceptre of Destruction x2 - 30-40k each
    Mask of the Dragon Slayer - 8k
    Matchless Dragonhide Breastplate - ?? gluck ever finding this
    Fungus Patch Vest - 20k
    Fungus Covered Great Staff - 3-5k
    White Dragon Helmet - 75k
    Cloak of Flames - 5k
    Belt of the Great Turtle - 2k
    Obulus Death Shroud - 10k

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  4. Break

Break People Like Me

If I were this shopper, I'd probably forgo the Fungus Patch Vest. It is required level of 51 or 52, so it is not a great twink item.

If you do have your heart set on it, maybe jump on the 15k Fungus Patch Vest that is up in the baz right now. I'm in no way affiliated with that seller. It's just kinda rare to see them for sale.

5. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I'm curious as to why it costs more than an actual Fungi which can be used at Level 1. It can't be solely because a Beastlord can use it...

What's a good alternative to this then, because a Fungus Scale Tunic is not an option on a beastlord.

6. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Phase Spider Carapace is solid.

Earring of Solstice and a horse would probably be a nicer upgrade than a lot of the more expensive stuff here. Isnt a solo BST pet tanking a lot?

DubRemix88 likes this.
  7. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

another classic "twinking" route is to faction tag some kael raids and MQ skyshrine armor onto the newbie

8. Break

Break People Like Me

The vest is farmed less often than the tunic. I don't think it is actually intrinsically worth more. It's a supply and demand issue.

There isn't a good alternative option. I think it was stupid that they put in a fungi equivalent that was level restricted, but they did. I guess the original was never intended for twinking low level alts. There is a Lunar Fungus Covered Tunic that doesn't appear to have a level restriction. You'd have to farm most of a VT key and an Emp key. Then, maybe you can talk a guild into letting you loot a rift from Emp and selling you a rotting tunic. Tem has sold planar molds, so I guess anything is possible.

Edit: If you were to talk a guild into selling you that tunic and looting a rift, I'd guess that it would cost more than all of the other numbers that Rimi quoted combined. Guilds do have expenses though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  9. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

because it's a lot more rare and difficult to acquire than fungi tunic

10. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

oh yeah, the 9k horse is great till you get gear/aa.

11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Ring8 MQ (8 DS) 10k, decent mainhand weapon and haste item (DPS) 10-15k, random HP and resist gear 5-10k, level II focus effects 1-2k.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what items a BL twink could use that would even have a noticeable impact. No HP regen til level 51, at which point it's underwhelming anyway. Dual wield is pretty bad so an offhand weapon doesn't matter much. Pet focus would be cool but doesn't really exist. That 8% block bracer from Grieg's could be fun.

There are classes that benefit a ton from twink gear but BL isn't really one of them.

The highest impact twink item for a BL is probably the Velious leather BP that their druid twink friend wears for 15 group regen clicky.

DubRemix88 and Break like this.
  12. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Is that really all they go for? Definitely looking to buy one of these if someone has one available then... Well, the next 10k I have will be going towards it at least. Would have jumped on that a long time ago...lol

13. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Well, to be fair, I'm not yet sure if it will be a Beastlord or a Bard. I'm just barely starting to dip my toes into raiding and Bard is something I really want to learn for Raids, not as a one-song AFK being used as a resist bot or mana battery, but as an actual on-hands Bard twisting 3-4 songs and fighting with my comrades.

If I go Bard it'll mostly be the same equipment, 2x Sceptre of Destruction, Fungi, White Dragon Helm, CoF, Turtle Belt, etc, mainly because I like to play my Bard as an actual melee, or what I call a Battle Bard, where instead of doing some variation of Swarm/Fear/Charm Kiting, I just twist a selection of songs and beat things to death with my weapons. And when soloing mobs 1v1 that's usually self haste, target slow, and either a dot, a DS, or regen.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  14. Break

Break People Like Me

Other gear recs your bard list:
    Epic (46? not sure)
    Thunderous Drums of Karana
    Drums of the Beast
    Lute of the Howler (40% haste / 66 atk / 30 str - that stacks with rez effects)
    Ivory Horn (For invis - it's actually wind and can be worn in main hand, common drop)
    VEGs
    Salindrite Dagger over one of your SoDs (better ratio, cheaper, only 22 less dd proc, procs at 49 instead of 46)
    Flayed Barbarian Hide Mask
    Ornate Greaves (1 second cast, long lasting Selos)
    Boots of Flowing Slime (if you want to charm)
    Medallion of the Arcane Scientists (if you want to charm)
    Tiny Cloak of Darkest Night (must camp, no drop)

A battle bard can be fun. Sebilis was probably the most fun I experienced on TAKP outside of raiding. I'd keep a pet charmed full-time, tank, and CC. I used my bard to tank all the way through BoT wing bosses. I didn't acquire current era raid gear until after I'd already killed 3/4 of the wing bosses, so that is doable if you aren't raiding yet. I had Velious era stuff like a barb mask, VEGs, HoT BP/Legs, and some ornate purchases as well.

You'll need tanking AAs if you want to tank anything past tier 1 mobs, and you may find it is much more survivable to forgo dual-wielding in favor of a shield. You'll also need a low aggro healer (druid) and preferably pet dps that can hold aggro as well (mage / necro / enchanter charm pet).

Also, get all of your battle barding out during your regular play-time. No one wants a bard swinging at a high-end raid when you are still using your epic. That proc that is awesome at early levels and even in groups starts to eat up valuable buff slots.

pivoo, Pithy, Quellious and 1 other person like this.
  15. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Well, if I only have to buy one SoD, that saves me some good cash then. Eventually that SoD would go to the Beastlord and get paired with a SHFD.

I'm assuming Bard Charm costs gobs of mana to maintain if you're recommending mana regen items.

What is VEGs, and what does a Flayed Barbarian Mask cost these days?

16. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

VEGs are Velium Encrusted Gauntlets (35ac 75hp). Flayed Barb mask is 20-30k? I think?

17. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I should get those for my Pally then, use them until I do Ornate Gauntlets.

So anyway, if I do the math.

SoD: 40k
    Salindrite Dagger: 20k
    Barbarian Mask: 25k
    Fungi: 9k
    CoF: 8k
    Turtle Belt: 3k
    White Dragon Helm: 75k

With the various instruments and other minor items, I'd be looking at about 200k or so?

18. Break

Break People Like Me

Bard charm is very low mana, but bards only get 1 mana regen per tick. They can only add additional mana regen from AAs, FT, and the 1 point hardcoded to the CH recourse from Donal's Chesplate of Mourning.

In my earlier list, I forgot to include ornate boots, which have 3ft. They are a good buy as well.

John Stark likes this.
  19. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

If you go bard, and cannot get the epic right away, a Battle Drummer's Main Gauche and a Troubadour's Mace goes a good way to getting some of the instrument mods (percussion and brass) if you plan to melee. At least as stop gaps and cheap alternatives.

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=24693

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=22891

There is a ring for strings too, but very rare IIRC. There was one for sale a week or so ago, but it was pricey.

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=11015

pivoo and Break like this.
  20. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

As I understand it, Bard Epic is not hard to complete on TAKP, unlike P99 where white scales are 2mil+, and that's IF you can find a seller. AFAIK it's really just a question of getting enough people together to bring down Trakanon.

21. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Why get a SoD for the bard? Once you get to the point of where the SoD procs, bard shouldn't be meleeing anyway if its soloing.

22. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I'd definitely spend the 25k+ or whatever for bard epic quest MQ's, and do Salindrite Dagger over SoD if you're rolling a bard (unless you REALLY want to spend 40k to raise 1hb). Then you just need TDOK and Lute of the Howler. You'll hold aggro better with the drum and rolling 5 dots, but gotta swing those weapons to get the weapon skills up. Amplification and a DS song is higher than equivalent level druid/mage DS, so don't neglect that while you're getting smacked around.

I melee with my bard regularly, without raid gear, and did so all through levelling up, with druid as healer and enchanter as support and sometimes adding an enchanter charm pet. Charm as CC when you're barding is the way to go - you get bonus pet damage, or can use it as an off tank if there's many mobs. As you hit the 50's and up, mobs start hitting significantly harder compared to your caster-like hit points and lack of parry/block, so fights get dicey-er until you get mobs slowed. Having the bard slow so the healer can keep up with heals until it's properly slowed will save your life - cause bard aggro sucks, and you've gotta be careful not to slow too early with your enchanter/shaman/whatever or you'll be spam healing them instead.

All that being said, currently, it's still faster xp to park my druid and enchanter somewhere safe, and charm-swarm flies in Plane of Disease until I run out of mana. (pull lots of flies, charm one, make it attack the swarm of mobs, invis when it's at low health, use dots to finish it off, repeat) I figure I need about 3-5 more FT and I could do it continuously. (currently at FT 3 with 1 from Earring of Solstice and 2 from AA's)

It's definitely more fun to smack stuff though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Pithy and pivoo like this.
  23. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Mainly on principle, because despite their jack-of-all-trades nature, Bard is classified as a Melee class, so I like to play it like a Melee class, a class that beats face with weapons.

Third option I'm considering is Ranger for the tracking, but only if a melee ranger is viable/optimal for fighting raid mobs, because while I like using Archery as a tool for pulling or secondary DPS against dangerous mobs with Rampage or AoE, I don't like using it as my primary means of attack.

Druid would be the last consideration, but if it boxes well with a Paladin then I might consider it.

24. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

You have a lot of alts to make. Better hurry before the next xpac is released.

Neealana and Smudge like this.
  25. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Pal/dru is good but super mana dependent/deficient while leveling. Pal needs undead or Druid needs to charm to compete with other duos for dps. Can only slow with weapon procs. Add a chanter and youve got one of the strongest trios.

26. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Melee ranger is not optimal, and not recommended. Better dps, less downtime, less risk to use archery. At least until PoTime. Don't stand inside AoE doing substandard damage, better to have a different class at that point.

Why don't you like archery?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    John Stark likes this.
  27. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I just like looking flashy endlessly swinging my weapons.

28. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

We kinda gathered that from your forum name.

29. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

It's why, even when it's suboptimal, I prefered to dual-wield over two-handing.

30. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

As a raiding bard main i have looted 2 total weapons on raids in luclin/pop and arguably thats to many

DubRemix88 likes this.