Does mqing work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chaosdunk, Aug 19, 2015.

1. chaosdunk

chaosdunk New Member

I'm looking at stuff I can do to prep for RoK on my chars, and I'm just curious if stuff like jboots and epic quests are/will be MQable on here.

Thanks.

2. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I don't think MQing is available atm, but I believe it will be once the devs have more time to make it so (there have been discussions about this on previous posts)

3. chaosdunk

chaosdunk New Member

Fair enough, thanks.

4. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I think MQing inspires nefarious player behavior and is a detriment to the economy. On the other side of the equation it seems to attract players (providers and consumers alike). While I'm all for population growth, I'm naturally concerned with the question, "at what cost"?

5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You are thinking of MacroQuest and not multi-questing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Sturmm likes this.
  6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

On the topic of Multi-Quest, we have codes to support it. It just needs to be implemented through scripting. I know plane of sky uses MQing. If you can give me name of the quest and NPC that was mqable on AK in the zone that we have open. I can look into about implementing it.

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Since the OP mentioned epic quests, I can confirm the ending of the Ranger epic was MQable on AK:

Xanuusus - North Karana - one person turns in Shattered Emerald of Corruption, the Ranger turns in Refined Mithril Blade and gets Earthcaller. I'm unsure what faction minimum was necessary though.

Although on the topic of MQing as a whole, I think it working on most quests should be the rule rather than the exception.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I would look at it the other way around:

All quest were MQable on eqmac except:

If quest is combined in a container for final turn in

Anyone have another except?

Several epics can be fully MQd- cleric, Mage etc I have both of those on eqlive test copyable.

Oiwon likes this.
  9. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Yep what he said

10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

There are 3 exceptions I can think of to quests which are not MQable:

1. Quests which have the reward being a final combine. IE - Earring of Solstice, Enchanter Epic Staves, Elemental Armor.

2. Quests which have a single item turned in (all MQable quests require at least 2 turn in pieces). IE - Dain's Head to Tormax, Yelaink's Head to Tormax, Sleeper's Tomb Key, etc.

3. Quests which have hidden flags. I BELIEVE the only one of these on P99 was the Aid Grimel line. I'm not 100% positive if the quest was MQable if both characters had the hidden flags involved, I'm pretty sure it was tested and found to not be the case.

But the Hope Stones from EPs could be MQed for the Secrets of the Planes quest, however not for the Aid Grimel quest, due to the hidden flags mentioned above.

So basically as long as the final reward of the quest requires you turn in atleast 2 items to the quest NPC, you could MQ it on Al'Kabor.

Oiwon and Neealana like this.
  11. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

It's worth noting explicitly that with the sole exception of Aid Grimel, the quests Darch and Bum are pointing out can't be MQ'd aren't MQable for logistical reasons only.

In other words, the quest implementation code, working correctly, should be fundamentally MQ friendly. All NPCs that give a reward in exchange for multiple items should be willing to accept those items one at a time, from different players, as long as each player handing in an item has the appropriate faction.

There is no need to figure out a list of MQable quests and non-MQable quests; making everything MQable will result in the correct behavior because the "non-MQable" quests will be ipso facto non-MQable for structural reasons.

Tesadar and Oiwon like this.
  12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Well the final step of Aid Grimel should structurally allow MQ functionality, but it did not on AK nor did/does it on PC servers

The Marked Runed Signet + Hope Stone turnin theoretically should allow one to MQ either piece. A TSer could do steps 1-7 and MQ the ear to someone with no TSes and a Hope Stone, and vice versa.

But the quest had several hidden flags involved. To start each step the game would check if you had 220 skill in the respective TS (unmodified) otherwise he would refuse to answer your hails or quest prompts. He would likewise ignore you if you were attempting to do a step when you hadn't completed the previous step already.

13. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Yes, Aid Grimel seems to have been their first foray into experimenting with that kind of stuff. Now that I think about it, there was also an invisible flag involved in the Aerin'Dar key quest, although it was a broken mess on Al'Kabor. (I'd previously thought there might have been a class check on the lowbie armor quests, also implemented toward the end of the A'K era, but someone in another thread corrected me.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  14. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

I've enabled multiquesting by default in the script. That'll be in the next time TAK updates. Hopefully, nothing blows up. Exceptions can be handled on a per case basis by the quest team. I've allowed for that funcitonality.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Darchon, Elrontaur, Ravenwing and 3 others like this.
  15. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Does this mean MQ is working?

16. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I tested it on dev server and it worked flawlessly, was able to MQ one of the monk shackles from an iksar to my enchanter. Not sure if it's on live server yet though!

Oiwon likes this.
  17. cavedude

I believe TAK patches this coming Wednesday, so that's when it will hit the live server. A lot of things going in this patch, I'm a bit nervous :I

Oiwon likes this.
  18. cavedude

I have a couple questions about multiquesting to make sure I have things right. Rob mentioned to me on AK he always hurried because after some time the handin would clear. This makes complete sense to me, and is very easy to add, but I want to make sure it is correct. Also, how long would it take for them to poof? 5-10 minutes? Next, items you handed to a NPC could they be looted or stolen to get back? Currently, they can be.

My next question isn't really MQ related but it's in the same code and somethign Rob also brought up to me. On AK, what was the default behaviour when a player hands a NON-QUEST NPC an item by mistake? So say you misclick and hand something to a_fire_beetle... Should they keep it or hand it back? On live, it looks like things hand the items back, but I tend to remember that being different on AK.

Thanks!

19. Elroz

Here's how I remember it on live, I'm not 100% on this so maybe some others can chime in too.

You could hand in quest items, log out, come back a week later, and as long as no one else has done the quest or handed the npc anything, he'll still have the items you handed him. I remember the best example of this is the sarnak berzerker whips in OT. I always made it a point to hand in whips 1 at a time until the quest completed because so many people would hand in 1-3 whips instead of all 4. So sometimes you'd get a free quest completion by handing in 1 or 2 whips because the last guy didn't hand in enough. That was on live servers though, and I'm remembering this from pre-luclin era.

I also believe quest NPC's clear their inventory if they are handed a random item that's nothing to do with their quest. So lets say a quest uses 4 bone chips, you hand in 3 bone chips, then hand in a fire beetle eye, then 1 more bone chip. The NPC should only have 1 bone chip because the fire beetle eye force cleared his quest item inventory. I remember something like this because when doing multiquests, alot of times people would hand in a junk item first to make sure the multiquest didn't get messed up by whoever handed the npc items previously.

At some point in the game, npc's started saying " I have no need for this item " and then they hand it back to you if it's nothing to do with their quest, we probably need to find when this was patched in to make sure my recollections aren't from like velious era or something.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  20. cavedude

Perfect, that actually was pretty close to how I had things. I just have to make some minor changes, and we'll be good.

21. Elroz

shoot sorry cavedude, did some research and just saw this. 2002 patch notes link : http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2002-1.html

** NPCs and Items **

- Non-pet NPCs will start to return items they don't care about. This
    will occur over time as zones are updated.

It's April 9th patch notes, think that's still in AK timeline but sounds like they didn't have it working for every zone either.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  22. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

On MQ hand-ins "clearing" -

As Elroz says, this doesn't happen. Hand in half the items for a quest, and the quest stays half-completed until someone comes along and finishes it or the server resets.

On the subject of being able to retrieve items handed to NPCs by killing them -

Generally speaking, yes, if you hand an item to an NPC, you can kill that NPC and loot the item from its corpse. However, there are several restrictions:
    • no-drop items are automatically destroyed
    • duplicates of items already in the NPC's inventory are automatically destroyed
    • items handed to an NPC in fulfillment of a quest are automatically destroyed
    • presumably, NPC inventories have a size limit beyond which items are destroyed, but I've never tested this

23. cavedude

No need to apolgize, I actually made this a rule so we can go either way. We can even do it by zone as well now. So it works out perfectly.

That's great, because that's how I have it working right now. Having to clear items would be more work for me :)

Thank you for the info about exceptions, since we are marking these items as quest they can all be easily done.

24. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Excellent! I should probably also have mentioned an exception to the exception: although a normal NPC/charm pet will destroy an item it's handed if a duplicate of that item is already in its inventory, summoned pets will not. Presumably this is to let them dual-wield identical mage toys.

25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Also worth mentioning, NPCs should only hold memory on items for as long as they are alive.

This could be 1-2weeks for many typical NPCs.

However NPCs that get killed regularly or more importantly those which despawn/respawn (like Stanos for Rogue epic and Kaiaren for Monk epic), if you turn in half the epic to Stanos and someone despawns him or kills him, the respawned Stanos will not remember what you handed in earlier.

Killing/Despawning an NPC should completely wipe any quest memory it had

26. cavedude

Oh yes. The way our code works that is a given. When a NPC despawns for any reason any data unique to it is also lost. The replacement spawn is an entirely new entity with clean lists. If we need an NPC to retain information over death, then that data has to be stored by zone and then sent to the new NPC when it spawns. But, that doesn't happen a lot.