Do unpopulated zones stagnate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dmpdesign, May 21, 2022.

1. dmpdesign

dmpdesign New Member

So I have been camping pofear this week every 12 hours trying to get my hands on a carmine robe for fashionquest...im camped at the north wall above ring of fire where no mobs typically tread.

Before logging I had a scareling aggro me from elsewhere and I ran there, rooted it and camped....many hours later I logged back in and that mob was precisely where I left it, it did not go back to its normal wander route, it just sat there like the zone froze when no one was logged into it.

Im a bit concerned by this as a noob to fear, I worry when Cazic respawns and possibly aggroes me at the north wall I will death loop there and even if i quit the game and log back in many hours later will the giant turd be there to eat me upon my return if no one else zones in?

I know the Carmine is far from a great piece but its nostalgiac for me and I want it for the wizard so I am probably taking a stupid risk trying to farm it...but if anyone could give me a tip on whether or not the zone literally does freeze in time when no one is in it I would greatly appreciate it (and probably no longer bind there).

2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

quite a lot of zones go into suspend state when no players are in there

something about saving CPU cycles... but it does occasionally create problems for players

sometimes you can tell how long it's been since another person zoned into a zone like Plane of Hate - where mob occasionally spam something about Innoruuk being their lord and creator.

if nobody has been to pohate for a while, when you log in a tracker bot for example, the zone will un-suspend and you'll receive 20 screens of:

Screenshot 2022-05-21 205352.png

zones have to be set manually to 'never sleep' and are done on zone by zone basis, as deemed worthy by the devs for 'reasons'

not sure if pofear would classify, but who knows. might be better to root mobs away from the north wall safe spot if nobody is in the zone

a way to combat this would be to perhaps have a FD class that you can zone in and just FD and afk so the mobs go back to their normal roaming path and then you can /q out when it's safe

shrug

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    natedawg1372 likes this.
  3. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

I saw this in PoInnovation when I camped in the factory. If I logged in to an otherwise empty zone, there would be a huge line of mechanical spiders ready to go into MB room. After a minute or 2 they would all go in and explode leaving the normal trickle of spiders. Luckily they are not KoS. I assume this was done to fix the accidental MB trigger when the zone was reset, but it also shows up when the zone gets suspended.

showstring likes this.
  4. Radda

Radda People Like Me

hey farm what you want, i do.

5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Darkpaw does this too actually; they just do a better job of it.

Zone idling is something we inherited from EQEmu. It's not implemented very well. Zones should stay active for some time after all players leave and script timers shouldn't loop many times when zones restart. I may look into improving this soon since I'm starting to run out of things to do.

Toomuch, Tesadar, Mechaike and 5 others like this.
  6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Lol yep I saw this also when I've camped characters at MB room for flags. The amount of spiders that spawn when the zone has been idle is insane. Like 200+ spiders. It's a sight. Since they are all pbae stunnable, we need to page @nukem for some exp action

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Cadsuane and Neealana like this.
  7. dmpdesign

dmpdesign New Member

If you're bored and out of things to do, it would be great to fix the level of detail toggle or at least change the code to default to off instead of on :)

8. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

This has a fix for the level of detail toggle and for the UI skin loading in the options UI.

Attached Files:

John Stark likes this.
  9. dmpdesign

dmpdesign New Member

I want to have your babies! Thank you for this!

10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Free the mouse version i'm assuming?

11. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Here's a version without FTM. This has to be used with the older eqgame.exe (without AK icon) and eqw.exe from the non FTM download on the wiki.

Attached Files:

12. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Maybe the 'getting started' zipfiles should be updated with this?

13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

After testing for a while first, yeah. We can make the overall setup process a bit easier too, rather than "take root client, replace files, edit ini's for mouselook, add voodoo stuff if you have a problem" and so forth. I think Solar is in agreement with me on it. New players are having struggles with the process.

John Stark likes this.
  14. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

Cool! i did not know zones idle to save CPU cycles. it makes sense.

15. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

couple of patch ago, I changed to rules to not idle at all in any zones just to test out the CPU usages. As it turned out, it didn't have any affect. The changeover to Navmesh did made a significant differences.

Tesadar, Mechaike, John Stark and 3 others like this.
  16. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Lots of zones still go into idle/suspend, and it seems to happen instantly.

Easy to test. Just train any mob to zone in area in PoEarth A, or Sol Ro Tower, and it will stay there indefinitely until someone zones in and gets instantly jumped.

Tuluvien likes this.
  17. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I noticed this in CoDecay the other day, too.

18. robregen

there was one area in the code that I had overlooked. I just added a couple of conditions and hoping that would do it. At the same time I will need to keep a watchful eye on the cpu loads.

19. Indi

Indi Well-Known Member

Still happening, at least in Plane of Torment just now.

20. robregen

Plane of Torment will be fixed for next reset.

Tesadar, Aithne, Indi and 1 other person like this.
  21. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

Thanks for everything, Rob!

22. robregen

glad to see it's fixed.