Desyncs/ld/zone instability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sketchy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

It seems things have been getting worse recently on this front. Can anyone narrow this down? It is a pretty frustrating issue, especially while raiding. Is it possible that it has something to do with non-essential services, like magelo being updated so frequently? I feel most people would he happier with core-stability over anything else if this was a choice. Thanks guys!

Quick edit, raiding with over 15 or 16 in zone cause quite a bit of chaos.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

When did it start getting worse?

And what zones? I know some raid zones send a ton of mob update packets. I have been trimming them back, but more work needs done. I also know this client sends a lot of update position packets. Bards seem to be worse. I want to experiment with not sending all the packets out from clients.

Players on auto follow also send out way more position update packets.

The client filters need looked at too, to see if they filter packets at the server level.

I would try to minimize how many chars are on auto follow. Even not moving, they send more data.

H

3. Zetro

Zetro Member

I'll have a go at it.

Beginning 7/06 while grouped in lower froak I started having de-syncs. To describe it:

A character loses the ability to interact with the world and becomes unable to click on things, loot, cast or invite. Eventually the client bounces back to server select screen. The char remains visible to other players for a minute, sometimes without the LD tag.

It wasn't as bad for me as it was for a friend in the same group. After many DCs he decided to call it a day.

On 7/07 it got worse. I was seeing between 4% and 12% on the lag-O-meter of each client and frequently de-syncing. I'm normally at 0%. I stopped trying to XP since I couldn't count on staying in-world through a fight. Late that night Robregen announced a server restart and mentioned he was changing or separating something to do with the login for the dev server.

Last night, 7/08, things were much improved but not back to the ironclad stability I had last week. My lag/latency thingamajeter remained at 4% and below. I had 2 maybe 3 de-syncs tops in the session of a few hours.

4. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

What characters were you using? I notice considerably worse connection issues with 2 pets out.

5. Zetro

Zetro Member

SKCLRMAG, just the magpet

6. Radiskull

Radiskull New Member

I've noticed this same issue. I play a mage and druid. Was playing just the mage in Plane of Hate last night and had an awful time staying connected. What Zetro describes is exactly what happens to me. Try to cast a spell, the spell gems never come off cool down, can't loot, etc. I can still read chat, see spells, watch mob health, but I know I'm just waiting to be disconnected. My lag bar constantly fluctuates on both toons between 3-30%, sometimes spiking up to 90% then coming back down.

7. Spankage

Spankage Member

I never got dsync'd ever until 3ish days ago. Now i get dsync'd constantly in hate/fear . I've basically been living in those 2 zones for a week straight, haven't been to any other zones to test if i get dsync'd in other places.

In both hate and fear everyone was pretty much stationary. But it definitely feels like as soon as a zone hits 15-20 players is when dsyncs start happening to people. and also seems to target certain people for some reason.

However when Hate crashed last night once we logged back in dsync's seemed like they almost stopped completely even with 18 or so people in zone.

8. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

This morning, our disk usage were like 97-98% full due to having cores saved over time until Speedz noticed it. We removed them out and now we're down to about 18% full. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but we certainly need to keep an eye on this as this can cause server instability.

9. Spankage

Spankage Member

This mornin as in like 2 am est?

10. robregen

no it was like 3 to 4 hours ago. 8:30 am PST.

11. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Hey guys thanks for looking into this. Also thanks to the people bringing forward their experiences. I know very little about the server, but is it possible that frequent magelo updates could be adding stress?

12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

It was my Druid Bumm's fault. He is the best at crashing servers.

13. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

Exactly what happens to me on Fear/Hate raids. Every 5 minutes one of three characters gets desynched and eventually LDs.

14. Zetro

Zetro Member

Stability update for the evening of 7/09. Stinky! Like rotten fish. Rolled in singed hair. Warmed in cazic's armpit.

15. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

Haynar just put in a patch that should help this considerably. It'll be in the next time TAK updates, unless the powers that be wish to push it before that :)

16. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I will do some attempts at crashing zones too. See what i can cause.

H

17. robregen

I'll see about patching this in a bit since it's dealing with server instablility.

18. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I love you all

19. robregen

We'll get an early patch day this week. including the memorial.

20. robregen

21. Zetro

Zetro Member

Thank you Haynar, Cavedude, Robregen!

22. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

Good to know Rob, and makes sense. Thanks again for your guys' troubleshooting and the time invested!!

23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Any better after the update today?

24. Spankage

Spankage Member

Crashed on zone 8 times or so between 3 chars runnin to naggy. Once in Solb dsync'd prob 7-10 times within 15 mins before i ragequit. Don't think other people in guild were crashing, dunno about non guilded.

25. Zetro

Zetro Member

Regret to report that it's still stinkier than unevacuated pig intestines. Drizzled with melty gangrene pus. Served in Grummus' athletic cup.

(20+ desyncs during our fire giant clear in SolB last night)

I appreciate your efforts, Haynar and devsquad!

26. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Does it appear to be just affecting certain people? I know there is a routing issue still out there.

27. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

"Served in Grummus' athletic cup."
    Bravo, this actually made me gag a bit! Grummus makes Jabba the Hut look like The Bachelor!

28. Legendary

Legendary Member

Yes it's only affecting certain people. I was in Sol B that entire time, logging between characters and didn't have any desyncs. I had 3-boxes up almost the entire time.

29. Zetro

Zetro Member

The 20+ times was my personal number of desyncs. Others, like Spankage mentions a few posts ago, were also experiencing it. But as Legendary wrote, not everyone has desyncs. Some have been reporting only much slower loading and zoning times.

All I know is that whatever change began causing the issue, it happened either late last Sunday or early Monday. Before then I had no desyncs at all.

30. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

I used to have the issues while in zone just as bad as these guys but now I seem to be fairly stable. I can't really explain what caused the change... but it seems like I've been getting better over time while others are getting worse. When I first started raiding I couldn't even play one character without going LD every 2-3 minutes. Now I might have one LD in an night with a 20+ population in zone.

The LD symptoms still seem the same though. A momentary loss in connection for whatever reason is never recovered and the character goes unresponsive for a bit before going LD.