Crimson Gloves Proc Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slayzz, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

I have heard differing opinions and am just hoping someone has a solid or definitive answer.

To my knowledge spells that are cast and fully resisted still generate FULL hate. IE a fully resisted (or for that matter even a partially resisted) SoS will result in a full 2740 hate generation. Just as a crit will also generate 2740 hate even if the spell lands for 6k.

I believe the exact same thing applies to spells with stuns etc. IE the chanter line of Dementia spells will land for FULL hate of 675+X for the stun (I believe 400 for stuns by classes that can't stun, but for classes like chanter I think its higher and the full amount but I am unsure what that number is. Maybe 1500? correct me if I am wrong). Either way, whatever the stun portion is (lets call it 1500 for conversation), is INCLUDED in the hate generation of a fully resisted spell. IE 675+1500 or a total of 2175 regardless of whether or not the spell is fully resisted, partially resisted, or it crits. The spell will ALWAYS generate the same amount of hate.

Assuming all of the above is true (and I believe it is), then my question is not for the above instances, but for weapon procs. Do the same mechanics apply to weapon procs like Gloves of the Crimson Sigil which has the Call of Fire Proc (or just a ranger casting it on himself for that matter)? If the proc is resisted by a mob will the player still generate FULL 465 hate from the call of fire proc (65 dmg + 400 stun)? Or do procs operate differently and if a proc is resisted then ZERO hate is generated? And if it his for a partial resist then it will only do the stun 400 + whatever partial dmg? Same question for mobs that are "immune to stun?" Again, I know casted stuns still generate the full hate regardless of stun immunity, but do procs?

Thanks =)

2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Yes, it's the same hate either way.

Slayzz likes this.
  3. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

To further elaborate on this inquiry:

Think about the way spell agro mechanic code would be written.
    To be able to tell the difference between landing for full, a partial resist, or full resist, there would need to be additional functions and logic in the code. To tell between a casted spell, or a proc, again this would need to be additional code logic. To accomodate for mobs being stun immune, additional logic. Same with snare immune, or slow immune, etc.

Then, if you create those distinctions, what about additional things like spell "not taking hold"? Is that also a full resist? An Ensnared mob and someone casts Snare on it, or a shaman slowed mob and ench casts slow on it. What about an already mezzed mob having mez cast on it, or a non-dmg stun? Does that generate agro if it does nothing?

To keep the code as simple as it can be (Occam's Razor, and of course having to take into account server CPU cycle overheads), I believe all the spell agro logic for all spells in all circumstances follows the same code function path. There is an additional distunction whether spell is "in the spell book" which just caps the hate generated, and this can be a simple catch at the very end (or start) that says If Spelllbook Effect => cap at 400.
    If you were to try to add complex logic such as:

If Partial Resist => Calc (3+e0.13), or
    If Stun Immune => (GG),
    or If Not Take Hold Because Caster Effective Level => (2+2=8)
    Then you're adding spaghetti on top of spaghetti mixed with more spaghetti. Any additional complexity like this just means there are more exploits (read: "clever use of game mechanics").

Of course, all this logic is for "normal" characters, and not bards. Because bards are special, you just throw in all the agro mechanic code into a blender and hope for the best.
    Bards just use a random number generator for each tick and it picks a value between -37 and +610.4 for hate.

To keep things simple, I believe all the spell agro behaves the same, so things are just simple and equal for everyone and the complex code can do other more important complex things. There is also far less potentially broken things.

So in summary: #DeleteBards

Toomuch and Slayzz like this.
  5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yep, a resisted spell generates same hate, in the same way melee hate is based off of swings whether they hit or not. See, it's the intent that really hurts the mob's feelings.

Frosst, Ripwind and Neealana like this.