2-15-2023

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Feb 15, 2023.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Haynar

* Made slight tweaks to AE taunt to be more reliable.

Database:
    Robregen

* Kaesora : added a missing NPC "warder of Xalgoz"
    * Scarlet Dessert: added a missing NPC "Redanyt Pwinlun"
    * Erud's Crossing: added a missing NPC "Hastashi"
    * Butcherblock: added Goblin Skull to goblin loot.
    Elroz:
    * Added 100+ missing loots to various zones "see list in missing loot in database bug"

Script:
    Elroz:

* Fixed respawn timer on netherbian emote traps to 4-6 minute respawn instead of 10-20 seconds on some
    * Typos and minor fixes to shadeweavers quests
    * Typos and minor fixes to the shar vahl citizenship quest

CTroi, Mechaike and Pithy like this.
  2. Gindainy

Gindainy Well-Known Member

Are you able to provide any other details about the change to AE Taunt? Very much looking forward to that!

3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I could.

But not gonna.

Mechaike and steve88w like this.
  4. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Can you give me details though?

5. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Are you sure about this one? I remember these traps going off like crazy on AK

6. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

there's multiple traps, so if you're running through you'll see multiple messages.

7. Tecmos.Deception

Tecmos.Deception Active Member

Took me like 10 minutes to find this, so figured I'd post it here for anyone else like me:

8. Tecmos.Deception

Tecmos.Deception Active Member

Also that is awesome work.

Break and pharmakos like this.
  9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I increased the AE taunt range to 30. It was failing on large mobs, even though you were right at their feet. Even though you could not get closer to them pretty much. Players using grow on them, seemed to work better at less failures. This indicated it was likely a Z issue.

I found comments that taunt range should be about 30. So that is what I used. It was at range 18, based on something with ogre melee range. But melee range is dependent on size of player, and npc. Large NPCs, the player has a larger melee range to the mob. Because the failures were on large NPCs, even at their feet, that is why I increased the range.

Torven disagreed and has reduced it back down to 20, and should be going out next patch.

There is more to the mechanics that is an issue, probably how we handle mob positions somewhere, since it is large mobs that tend to be issues.

Break and Cadsuane like this.
  10. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Yeah our first VT raid on this patch was weird with how effective AE taunt was, but we deduced it was increased range. Didn't realize it was almost doubled though. But 18 or 20, thats the same range basically.

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

It probably shouldn’t be larger than combat range. But Z should have better accomodations for large mob size.

12. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Wasn't the Z-axis range for AE taunt heavily increased a couple years ago to account for NToV dragons, and other large mobs?

13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Taunt range was increased to combat range. Which i disagree with on large mobs. Because if combat range is like 80. You can taunt from a huge distance. I think the x/y distance for this should be capped at like 20 (torven numbers) or 30 (max).

AE taunt range was not increased with those changes.

14. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

Is AE taunt range spherical, or is the AE taunt radius a circular column that extends upwards with the sides of the column being perpendicular to the x/y plane?

15. Trollio55

Trollio55 Member

Could be more at play as well? I'm thinking back to when Navmesh first got implemented and it caused a bunch of issues for archery and every since it's a very narrow range above or below a mob without getting the error message about them being too high/low.

https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/12-22-2021.20750/
    https://www.takproject.net/forums/i...-caverns-projectile-issues.20558/#post-102174

Something was changed at the end of 2021 but did that change apply to all aoe situations as well? Another example would be targetted aoes like the aoe snare for a wizard where it's also height dependent to be in range.

16. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Well first of all I consulted the other developers before making that change and it was concluded that 30 was way too large, so it's not just me. Elroz and I agreed (we've both been main tanks on raids) that 30 was way too high.

Yes I had enlarged Area Taunt to 20 Z units in the past. Our logic caps the Z offset of NPCs to about 12 units, so Area Taunt is more reliable here than it was on Sony's servers. In fact the reason why large NPCs like Fennin and Quarm would ghost out and disappear here before I fixed it was because these NPCs had guard points that were using Sony's Z offset because I plugged in Sony's precise locations into the scripts, and in our logic NPCs will disappear if their Z height is over a value that is less than Sony's offsets can be.

Missing taunts on large NPCs was very common back in 2002-2004. Use of lev and grow was done so that it would hit large NPCs. That is not needed here. Warriors could still misjudge where the centerpoint is and simply miss it while running in. That's part of the challenge of the game. The reason why you're missing it on Quarm and not mobs like Avatar of War (which also is very tall) is because Quarm is a very horizontally wide NPC and Quarm is moving around, making it difficult to find the centerpoint.

Area Taunt had no LoS check in our era. That is why its range was rather small, because it could hit NPCs behind walls and under floors. Sony made it a spell in mid 2004. I disabled LoS checks on it.

Elroz and I concluded that the likely range was 20-25 if it was a cylinder check and I went with 20 because our Z check was guaranteed and after reviewing old Steel Warrior threads but honestly I may change my mind and make it 25; I'm undecided. I have some reason to believe that Sony's Z difference limit may have been 25 units. 30 would make sense if it were a spherical check but we have no way to know how Sony did it.

Break, pharmakos, Cadsuane and 3 others like this.
  17. Elroz

I used AE taunt tens of thousands of times on live. I feel pretty confident in the 20 x,y range. I do think it was cylindrical though, with a bit more Z range. I remember for AOW we needed levitate to land AE taunt if we were max shrunk/corner tanking, so it wasn't huge Z range. For quarm, taunting in the right spot was the challenge, and my guild always wall pinned him, so the taunt location was fairly easy to find, it was generally the same spot every time.

Break likes this.
  18. Elroz

also, that being said. I haven't played a warrior on TAKP with ae taunt, so there very well may be issues with how it works. I just don't know that it's a x,y range issue.

19. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

It was 100% not working on NTOV dragons so if it works still now then it’s probably good to go. I would imagine there would be at least a log or two of AE taunt being used back in the day in ntov but I’d imagine you probably checked that which is why it changed in the first place.

Well I imagine you haven’t tried wall pinning him on TAKP either cause that don’t work here ;)

20. Elroz

Yeah we tried wall pinning quarm on TAKP on early attempts and it was busted for sure. I think Haynar fixed that though in the recent patch?

Also, I went on live last night with max shrink and gauged distances for a while, 25 range looks closer to what I remember for ae taunt, was using a screenshot that showed 30 range as my gauge before when I said 20 range looked right. I think when they changed AE taunt into a spell in 2004 is when they boosted the radius and it also increased the Z axis radius with it, so it got rid of the Z axis issues it had before. I'm almost thinking it wasn't cylindrical now, and that it used to be spherical but shorter (25ish) Z range, and it stayed spherical but they boosted it to 40 range in 2004. Anyway, just my thoughts on it. 18 range was too small for sure.

21. Elroz

or maybe quarm didn't get fixed, thought I saw that in patch notes. My bad!

22. Radda

Radda People Like Me

tiny quarm was patched out, that might be what you are thinking of.

Elroz likes this.
  23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I did make changes to Quarm's collision size, to make him not push through walls so easily. So he may be able to be walled now. I tried in several places, looking to reproduce how far he goes into the walls, based on eqlive videos.