Fizzle madness!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrakak, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Thrakak

Thrakak New Member

Anyone else think the spell casting is an issue? I fizzle an entire bar of mana several times before I can buff or summon a pet or some times even heal.

So I just returned to the server after a brief break to find myself not being able to cast on any of my toons. I invited a few friends to come check out Takp and sure enough we are all kinda hoping things get corrected or we wont be able to play/stay.

Anyone else remember the week or so when skill ups were borked? So a lot of our toons never got skill ups they needed and now someone adjusted fizzle check rates.. /shrug not sure whats going on but I don't feel like I am going to be able to lvl up my friends and play along side then when all we do is med or zone due to fizzling all the heals and mana away.

Please GM's do something.. Also people share your stories on this.

P.S. This isn't a hate post.. I really do love Takp and the idea and where its going. I just don't enjoy not being able to play due to the issue with fizzles.

Thanks,

Mhael/Thrakak

Elrontaur likes this.
  2. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I'm getting a bit too many fizzles as well. I wasn't sure if it's because my SK's int is low or what's causing it though. With max casting skills I still get bad streaks like :

[Fri Jan 15 02:24:18 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 02:24:19 2016] Myconid reaver tries to bash YOU, but YOU parry!
    [Fri Jan 15 02:24:19 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 02:24:19 2016] You begin casting Spear of Plague.

This is pretty much a bubble of mana when I get bad runs like that, which happen fairly often. I just figured it's because my SK is a hybrid and doesn't get specializations but maybe not.

I didn't have logs on for it (forgot to turn them back on after a LD), but i fizzled 6 in a row of my sk's level 49 snare as well, at level 60/max skill.

edit: was spamming duck/spear line and it only took about 25 casts to get a 7 fizzle streak, maybe my record -

[Fri Jan 15 06:45:19 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 06:45:19 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 06:45:20 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 06:45:21 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 06:45:21 2016] Your spell fizzles!
    [Fri Jan 15 06:45:21 2016] You begin casting Spear of Plague.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Elrontaur and Thrakak like this.
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thrakak, how long were you gone? Are your skills maxed or close? The changes that were made a month or so ago I feel really made the game more accurate. People forget, but back in the day, it was really difficult to cast a spell reliably without your skills being maxed for the level you received that spell.

For Elroz's example, I wonder if its based around certain levels or the equation changes post 50, because honestly at lvl 20, it feels accurate for me. I don't get streaks like that and my skills are close to max or maxed on my three main toons.

4. Throy

Throy Member

I'm glad someone else brought this up because I feel like there's still something off. My level 60 shaman casting level 55 Spirit of the Howler with 195 conjuration had 17 fizzles in a row. Granted I'm not maxed, but pretty close and still 17 fizzles?

Elrontaur likes this.
  5. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Fizzle rates are still way too high, and the rate that your casting skills level up is broken as well. Ever since the new fizzle code came in, I've been chain casting mezz on my chantie. She started at Conjuration 142, and it was impossible for her to cast her level 49 mezz at all. After chain casting for several days at a time, she finally made it to 160 Conj but she still can't cast the 49 Mezz at all. So the skill up rate has been fairly glacial, and I should be able to cast a level 49 spell at level 53 and nearly max Conj skill most of the time. I still fizzle almost her entire mana bar and rarely get one cast. When I need to cast mezz it's usually an emergency situation, so 30 fizzles and an empty mana bar are not helpful.

6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I think for spells level 49+ would need to have their spell skill level of over 200 to fizzles less.

I still get a few fizzles at higher level spells with max spell skill level of 235 but no where near where my skill level were lower.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Just adding that spellcasting skillups also seem accurate to me at the lower levels. There might be something funky though at the high end which I cannot comment on.

8. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Getting to 200 has been practically impossible, I would have maxed the skill on AK by now. The skill up rate after 150 has been far too slow.

9. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

On AK though, was tons easier to max out your WIS/INT since PoP was available. Do you think the slow skillups are related to lower WIS/INT?

Elrontaur likes this.
  10. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Agreed, at the low end skill progression is good. High end is severely borked.

11. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I distinctly recall fizzling a lot and taking awhile to skill up when I leveled my Druid on Al'Kabor due to having minimal wisdom gear. I actually had a conversation with Utdaan about it when I fizzled a ton of quads.

That being said, I still feel the fizzle rate is very high here.

I could probably pull logs of my skill ups / fizzles as I leveled, to get a feel for what sort of streaks I was getting when leveling.

12. surron

surron People Like Me

^ I think leveling up logs showing fizzles as you played normally would be very helpful.

EQEmu's random number generator is very streaky (I think this is the underlying problem.) How is the random number generator seeded? I hope it is not strictly seeded based on system time, but contains other variables.

While I do believe skill up rates (post 175+) are rather slow. I believe the fizzle rate is accurate HOWEVER, I do believe there is something wrong with the amount of fizzles that happen when casting spells in a rapid succession (streaky RNG.) I know there is a 2% chance to succeed casting any spell regardless of skill. Perhaps this floor is not being curved correctly as your skill gets higher, that in combination with EQEmu's streaky RNG would result in our fizzle problems here.

It's hard to argue with the data Torven provided from his AK logs however.

Idk what level his enchanter was at the time or his INT, but hes trying to cast a lvl 44 spell with 109 conjuration. At level 44, the max conj would be 220.

I think its particularly interesting though that all the fizzles happen in very rapid succession (within a couple seconds of each other.) He then goes oom and waits 5 minutes to med up and then casts the spell in 1 try. That data actually conforms to a streaky RNG imo.

13. robregen

I went ahead and bump up the skill up rate for high skill levels.

Elrontaur likes this.
  14. robregen

should be effective immediately

Elrontaur likes this.
  15. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Elroz's streaks of 5 and 7 fizzles on a level 54 spell at max skill are a bit surprising. Is it only Spear of Plague that's doing this, or are all your mid-50's+ spells? Is anyone else seeing lots of fizzles with skills that are actually capped at 235?

I am certainly not, but then, I'm level 54 and still casting mostly sub-50 spells.

16. Draeko

Draeko Active Member

I see 3-5+ fizzles in a row very often on my Paladin with 235 skills at lvl 60 casting lvl 49 stun, lvl 52 stun, and most annoyingly my 59 rez which takes about 10% mana per fizzle. It happens with most spells. I've seen 5 on my druid casting thorns at 235 abjuration too. So it's not just 1 skill or just hybrids with low WIS/INT and no specialization.

17. Throy

Throy Member

Yes, I get them a lot with max skill... I ducked on success, so that I could get more data.

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]

18. robregen

did you take specialized into account?

19. Throy

Throy Member

20. Throy

Throy Member

Hybrid classes don't get any specializations (this was on my Paladin).

21. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I chain-fizzle very often on Ensnare (level 51) with an alteration skill of 235. Sometimes it annoys me to the point of using my level 9 snare.

Edit - Just emptied mana snaring:

Casts - Ensnare (51) - 235 skill
    • Total: 65
    • Success: 38
    • Fizzle: 27

When I do fizzle, it is more likely that I fizzle more than once at a time.

Elrontaur likes this.
  22. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Lenas: what is your wisdom and specialize skill?

23. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Rangers have no specialize; I am level 60 with 120 wis ATM.

24. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I thought Specializations only had to do with mana savings, not ability to cast.

25. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Speaking of skill ups, my trio has no tracker so I often find myself using Eye of Zomm to explore dungeons/spawns with my wizard. I wouldn't say I'm constantly casting it but I've cast it at least 250 times in my wizard's life time. Just checked my conjuration skill out of curiosity. Conjuration skill = zero.

Normally I wouldn't care, as its a lvl 8 spell and as such it rarely fizzles, however having obtained Eye of Tallon and Flaming Sword of Xuzl this has become a more pressing issue.

26. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Made some adjustments to fizzle chance. Should be in next patch.

H

Elrontaur, Draeko and Lenas like this.
  27. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

This.

The only thing I'd like to add here, is that the recent changes to fizzle rates accounting for skill level did not account for the fact that people had been playing their characters for a year with a very broken skill up rate. Suddenly, enchanters were unable to use their high level mez spells, druids and wizards couldn't port, necros couldn't cast DMF, shamans couldn't make pets... all without spending stupid amounts of time casting level 1 spells in PoK, or blowing thousands of plat on skill ups. Not fun.

I look forward to any positive improvements here.

badfish and Elrontaur like this.
  28. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

I have to concur here. Just wanted to walk into Chardok, even if things were how they should be, I couldn't get a single mez off, doesn't feel right with conj where it is.

29. Maelin

Maelin Member

Adding on, it takes me a really long time for my 22 mage to get my lvl 20 pet out. Typically 2 or 3 full mana bars.

30. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I also fizzle Ensnare with 235 alteration skill. 7 to 10 times in a row at times. Like when the mob is running in Sol A ;)