Virus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baeunny, Jan 7, 2024.

1. baeunny

baeunny New Member

I DLed and unzipped the client from Dropbox. My scanner reported a virus (Heur.AdvML.C) and deleted eqgame.dll. Is this a known issue? If not, where would I report it? I suspect it's most likely a false positive, but would like to be sure.

Attached Files:

2. baeunny

baeunny New Member

Since I replace eqgame.dll anyway it's a minor thing, but it would still be bad had the client been compromised in some way.

3. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

4. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I don't expect you to trust me any more than you would norton or whatever, but basically anything that's not from an app store is treated this way now by browsers and virus scanners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt ). The TAKP 2.1 zip that's on dropbox was made and uploaded by me and many users have downloaded it and used it. Program files in general are suspect and "Heur.AdvML.C" just sounds like it's a machine learning heuristic, generic warning, for a program file (dll/exe) that could do anything. Make sure you aren't running any games as administrator on windows, it's definitely not necessary nor recommended for the TAKP client.

baeunny likes this.
  5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

From the Getting Started wiki page

upload_2024-1-7_22-34-6.png

baeunny likes this.
  6. Kithani

Kithani Well-Known Member

Solar wants ur buttcoins

7. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Sentinel One the antivirus my boss makes us run on our office computers, flagged eqgame.dll as malicious. He then looked up TAKP and said while he appreciated game preservation he couldn't let me keep it on my work PC. That is when I started running it in a VM with GPU passthrough.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Radda, baeunny, Lenas and 5 others like this.
  8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

VM data files are often excluded for performance reasons, but not always. Up to the admin to decide.

9. baeunny

baeunny New Member

Thanks, all. Yes, I missed that section of the Getting Started page (long page vs my attention span). It took a little doing, but I believe I've got it fixed now.

Tuluvien likes this.
  10. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

11. baeunny

baeunny New Member

Almost... had to work around my VPN. I can now connect. The next question is how to get into fullscreen mode, as the display is sooooo tiny for my warped eyes. I want to use stone interface, because old school is the best school. Any tips, please?

OK, NM I got it into fullscreen, somehow, and it's persistent so that's good. Just one thing left, I hope...

My mouse cursor will slide off the right and bottom of the window and just keep going. Unfortunately, that's my parking spot for the cursor, because it becomes invisible there, also my trained arm movements expect it to stay in that corner. I may be missing a trick, like declaring my window size in an ini file, perhaps..?

12. baeunny

baeunny New Member

I don't actually get the stone display. It would have been nicestalgia, but I think I'm gonna need a larger window, at least I hope that will help with the jerkiness. Pointer to ref for screen res?

Sorry for being That Person. I do keep searching, but I'm just not finding anything. Probably I just don't know/remember the correct terms.

13. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Search in this forum or the discord for Windows font scaling. That is what results in the cursor not being able to reach parts of the EQ instance.

14. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

DPI scaling - Right click eqgame.exe, properties, compatibility tab, change DPI settings, check the box "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "Application" in the dropdown.
    The game window will get smaller, if it was previously being scaled up automatically due to this.

Full screen - you do this by setting WindowedMode=FALSE (this makes the title bar and stuff go away so it's a borderless window) and you set your Width/Height to your desktop resolution. If you're playing at something larger than 1080p the UI elements will probably be too small in the same way that the Stone UI is small. I made a mod for 4k that doubles the size of all the UI stuff.

If you hit alt-enter, it will stretch the window as if you maximized it - don't do this, it looks like crap.

Stone UI - this only works at 640x480. You get this by doing NewUI=FALSE in the eqclient.ini file. It will be a window at 640x480 and your monitor is likely much higher resolution than that so it will suck to play a postage stamp sized thing.

Alternatives are to use directx wrappers like dgvoodoo2 and others to scale the window up without skewing the aspect ratio. You just need to tinker with these things but it's possible to pillar box the stone UI and stretch it so it's filling more of the screen. I don't recommend this, it looks like crap, but it's better than hitting alt-enter and having some distorted blurred thing.

Check your ini file and make sure you have MaxFPS=0 - there is a framerate limiter that will make the game jerky if this is enabled, as well as cause excessive falling damage that kills your character. There might be reasons to use it but start without this so you can see it work at full speed first.

baeunny and Cadsuane like this.
  15. baeunny

baeunny New Member

Thanks for the detailed response. One thing, though - there is no height or width setting in my eqclient.ini. Am I looking in the wrong file?

16. Rexas

Rexas Member

17. baeunny

baeunny New Member

That is so odd. I swear I searched for them, but there they are?! I guess I spelled "height" wrong.