What's the "right setup" for PC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burly, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Burly

Burly New Member

There's all this talk about one client and another client and this or that patch, but it's really hard to figure out what I actually need. I downloaded the client from the setup guide and then the modified eqw and eqgame.dll that seems to be "Haynar's patch" but this makes the window-changing script not work because it renames the windows. What does this patch actually do? And what is "Secrets patch"? My client works but I need the window-swapping macros.

2. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Recommended install if you want the window swapping is: PreConfigured Windows Client. Then you will use Secret's Updated Client which includes HotkeyNet.exe program used for numpad window swapping. You must also ensure you have the Visual C++ Redistributable package installed.

Follow the instructions exactly otherwise you will get random errors and it will lead to desk pounding. An example of this is "Start HotkeyNet.exe (You no longer use eqgame.exe shortcut)", but people still try to use eqw.exe or "eqgame.exe -patchme" .

The only variable unknown to me because I do not use Secrets Client is whether or not you can still keep Secrets files in your directory while using Haynar's DLL sans the wsock32.dll. Every post I have seen says to remove the wsock32.dll file or remove Haynar's DLL as they do not play nice together. According to this it has to be removed Haynar's + Secrets' + eqmule's + eqw.exe == AWESOME!!!.

If you want a frame rate limiter (which you will need in windows) and non alt-tab window switching use the PreConfigured Windows Client, Secrets tweaked client client in conjunction with MSI Afterburner or Dxtory

All of these links are taken verbatim from the wiki: http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started#Obtaining_the_Client .

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Haynar's allows frame rate setting from the eqclient.ini file. No need for a third party program if you use his.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Working on an all-in-one solution. That will allow running eqw.exe or "eqgame patchme" like with secrets client. One dll. With framerate limiter built in.

I am basically combining Secret's mods with mine.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    John Stark, Mambo, Torven and 3 others like this.
  5. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

I was trying to get standard client with Haynar's DLL working with hotkeynet for window switching because Im tired of Alt+Tab sticking when I switch between windows to zone, but was unsuccessful. That is really the only thing I would like to get working from Secret's client while still using the awesome Haynar DLL.

6. Burly

Burly New Member

Can anyone just tell me how to make window-switching hotkeys when the windows are renamed to Client1, Client2 etc.? That was the main problem really. The hotkey stuff seems to have been written before the patch that renames the different windows. I don't know programming and I could only find sources from before this change. From what I can tell, that's the latest patch?

edit: turns out I can get it to work somewhat, like the hotkeys function when I load the script, but they break again the moment I press any other keys than the hotkeys. They simply cease to function. I haven't the faintest notion why.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  7. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

I realize this post is somewhat old now, and that perhaps I have misinterpreted your question, but...

From my experience, what has worked best is with my programmable keyboard, I bind one of my empty keys to whatever I want that is NOT A COMMAND KEY IN EQ. As an example, I use s as sit, so I obviously wouldn't use S. Can't use anything on numpad because I use numlock for auto run. Then, I just press my programmable keys to switch between clients.

The problems that I have run into we're (1) using the numpad keys, and (2) apparently some keys or commands that I did not know existed, do, and caused me weird issues like switching from run to walk every time I switched clients. Interestingly this never worked in reverse. I never could figure out why, but I eventually just switched my bound keys in hot key.net.

Hope this helps.

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

If you were doing /autofollow is the reason of switching from run to walk