What Should I Roll?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maskedmelon, Nov 20, 2016.

1. maskedmelon

maskedmelon New Member

It gonna be either ranger or monk. Or, I suppose i could do warrior, but not really thinking anything else.

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

:cool:

Anything

3. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Can never have enough monks, however with that said there are hardly any rangers on the server so you get all of the cool stuff.

4. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I feel like warriors get all the cool stuff. Like lightsabers.

5. Sabine

Sabine New Member

+1 for monk

Iksar

:)

6. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Do you plan to 2 or 3 box? Do you plan to raid?

7. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

The heavy hitters on the server can weigh in on this response whether or not I'm correct. I believe the most valuable or needed classes right now for end game/raiding wise would be rogues, wiz, and bard?

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Rangers are top tier DPS in PoP/Luclin

Monks are pullers from now through PoP for most regular content. EP minis and crazy pulls are typically best done with bards though.

Warriors are main tanks for raids, and decent Boxed tanks since they take almost not interaction to hold aggro beyond auto attack. Their downfall being they can't effectively hold aggro on multiple mobs.

Do you want to parse, pull or tank on raids? If you're looking to just group, ranger is the most utility based class and will be more fun than a pure melee especially if only playing one class IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Rangers get to act like tanks for the beginning 20 seconds of very many boss fights from Luclin onward.

10. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

All three of those classes have quite different roles. What role are you looking to fill?

DPS, Utility? Go with the ranger
    Want to pull (and dps)? Go with the Monk
    Want to be a meat shield? Go with the warrior.

11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Bow double damage on non rooted mobs and te stacking of melee and bow crit aa's

Lenas and sowislifesowislove like this.
  12. sowislifesowislove

Really? I knew they got good, but not that good. Besides endless quiver what brings them to the top?

13. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Archery mastery 3 is 100% more damage, then shoot a stationary non rooted target for another 100% increase (making 400% regular damage unless im crazy). Combine with crits, endless quiver and good ratio bows and Ranger may as well be a wizard with unlimited mana.

Wizard can have higher burst damage but cannot sustain because of mana. Rogue can probably equal or beat ranger with the backstabs working properly (they weren't on AK)

14. sowislifesowislove

image.gif

15. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Oh yeah plus archery on AK was almost zero agro. Dunno if it is here though.

16. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

As I understand it will make more than the 1 aggro it did in AK but still *should* not pull aggro off a tank who's doing his job. I hope it's similar, as youd have been hard pressed on AK to strip aggro off anyone with archery.

17. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Their 2-minute trueshot discapline is also probably the highest 2 minutes of DPS in the game (With EQ and AM3 of course). It ends up being extremely valuable in PoP fights since they are so much shorter than Luclin boss fights.

18. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Another interesting thing to note concerning ranger DPS is that rangers could (on AK, and PC live during the same era) have a higher natural attack rating than any other class, due to a bonus that they started receiving at level 55. I'm not sure how it's coded here on TAKP, however.

October 8, 2001

- Rangers have their Double Attack skill cap raised to 245. They have
    also gained an innate offensive bonus that starts at level 55 and
    increases until level 60. Ranger's Defense skill cap has been raised to
    220, and their Riposte skill cap has been raised to 185.

For some perspective, a level 65 ranger on AK with max strength (305), and max worn attack, and no buffs had an attack of 1620.
    Monks and BLs with the same conditions would land at 1566
    Warriors and Rogues at 1561
    Paladins and SKs at 1525

I got these numbers from Allakbor's database, but I'm fairly certain they are accurate (the max attack values I just posted), as I remember comparing them to actual in game values when AK was live.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  19. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Man. Almost makes me want to make a ranger. Seriously.

20. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

that database was originally a PEQ DB and is heavily modded to match closely somewhat to AK. I don't think SOE would release their database figures to "Allakor's database".

21. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Oh ya totally. I'm just saying those max ATK values matched what they were in game. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know allakabor's DB is most likely not 100% accuarte. I edited my previous post to hopefully make what I was trying to imply a little more clear.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  22. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

This thread got Rangered. :)

I love Rangers. I love Monks. Here are some ideas given little other knowledge about what you plan to do on AK:

2 boxing -
    I would pair either of these classes with a cleric or a shaman.

Why cleric? Best hp buffs, best heals... but most importantly, rez. It's a massive time saver to have your own rez, whether you're hardcore or casual.

Why shaman? Heals, stat buffs, hp buffs, haste, slow. Little weaker of a class from 1-40, but they really shine after that.

My suggestion if casual:
    Ranger/Shaman
    Monk/Shaman

If a consistent raider:
    Ranger/Cleric (epics + dark cloak of the sky makes this duo incredible)
    Monk/Shaman

3 boxing -
    I'd pair both with a cleric, then add a beastlord, enchanter or shaman for support.

23. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Dark cloak of the Sky, WHAT'S THAT?

/cry
    /exit

sowislifesowislove likes this.
  24. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Poor Lenas :(

25. maskedmelon

maskedmelon New Member

omgosh ty all svm ^^ I do not want to box anything. That may change of course, but presently just want to play one character. I rolled both a monk and a ranger, but thread has helped me solidify (for now) my choice of ranger :3

26. maskedmelon

maskedmelon New Member

also, what era is TAKP currently in? Velious atm?

27. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Velious.

We have the Nexus, Bazaar and Plane of Knowledge also.

28. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Hit me up when you get going, I may have some spare gear or at least some plat to help get started.

29. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Once you get panic animal, soloing a Ranger when you don't have time to group is much easier. I think you'll find groups plenty willing to have you join. Especially if you're willing to pull for 2 and 3 boxers who are busy with multiple characters.

Welcome! Look up Zavius and Zavil if you want some buffs.

30. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Yay! More rangers! I may have some gear for you as well. Send me a tell.