/target era or AK inaccurate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazlan, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

/target doesnt work like it used to. Doing /target orc pawn right next to an orc pawn doesn't target it and I believe its supposed to. Is this intentianal and if so whats the reason behind it.

Thanks

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I believe you need an underscore to replace the spaces in names. Does /target orc work?

3. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

The client has to know exactly which mob you wish to target. I would expect it to work if there was only one orc pawn up in the entire zone. Best I can tell the orc pawn you wish to target has a suffix that is used server side, but you don't see looking at the client. I'm thinking you would have to know exactly which mob, "orc_pawn_001", that you want to target. For instance if someone has failed Emperor and Ssraeshzian Blood Golem is up, and I type /tar Ssraeshzian blood I will not get a target, even if I'm standing right in front of a Ssraeshzian Blood Priest. The target window will do nothing. But if Ssraeshzian Blood Golem isn't up and I type /tar Ssraeshzian blood I will get a Ssraeshzian Blood Priest as my target. Or if the Ssraeshzian Blood Golem is up and I type /tar Ssraeshzian Blood P, the target window will populated with the correct target.

Someone please correct me if I screwed up that explanation or the details.

Mechaike and Sketchy like this.
  4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

When you use /target [mobname], it is completely handled client side.

The client does all the searching, and sends over to server the spawnid of what it matched.

Devour is 100% correct.

H

Mechaike and Cadsuane like this.
  5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

as mentioned in alliance:

[Tue Nov 03 12:14:50 2020] Foxtrader tells Alliance:1, 'I dunno how long ago that /target mob question was asked, but it's something along the lines of it always tries to target mob_001 first. You cannot choose to target mob_002 or anything of that sort'

6. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

It used to target closest one to you with that name. And would only need partial name.
    For example /tar lion would target closest lion or lioness zone. If you are within a certain distance. This is how it was on AK for sure (Like pretty sure) and I think it was like that here at some point as well. Never have I ever used /tar lion007 to target lion.

7. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

i can't remember where i heard this, but my impression is that the partial name chooses one particular match in the zone, probably lion00 or whatever. if you're lucky enough to be trying to target that lion, then voila! it works. otherwise, tough luck. i think this is the source of the idea that it occasionally works the way you think it should (or has in the past) but mostly doesn't. as haynar stated, it's built into the client and not something that has ever changed.

8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Thucy and Foxtrader are correct about how the OSX client worked on Al'Kabor. Exactly one mob with a given name is targetable with /target. The client ignores strings of numbers (like 001, etc) in /tar commands.

9. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

Guess that means the Vallon Zek fight has to be done the old fashioned way without the cheese of being able to target the real one by using the numbers.

10. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

isn't the real one 000? which is why target worked, cause it targets the first (real) one?

It might have been /pet attack vallon_zek which might accept numbers (or also attack the first 000 version)

11. MikayahEQ

12. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

That'll work if the real Vallon Zek is always the "first" (and thus the targetable) Vallon Zek. /tar Vallon would work equally well, though.

In fact, so would /tar 12345Vall678on999. The numeric characters just seem to be completely ignored by the client, wherever they fall in the string.

13. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Heh I played with that on dev and it doesn't work. Sneaky torven made it so the real vallon can be any of the numbers

14. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

it was suggested to me to randomize it by a knowledgeable and concerned player; I hadn't thought of it myself

Mechaike likes this.
  15. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

A good move, imo. There are other more legitimate ways of finding the real one

16. MikayahEQ

Just because it always comes up, I'll play devil's advocate...I never played on AK...is random how it worked on AK? I believe on Live the real one always spawns a fraction sooner than the copies.

17. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Always been easy to split either way, the real one runs faster than the fakes.

18. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

To add on to what was stated above:

/target [string] - Grabs the closest mob matching the string, ignoring numbers, as Ravenwing suggests.
    /pet attack [string] - Sends the pet to attack the *exact* matching NPC name (e.g. "Vallon_Zek00"), even if it is not the closest target.

In case you aren't intelligent enough to connect the dots here, I seem to recall that good players on Al'Kabor would get around the /target restriction with the following 4 line hotkey:

/pet attack Vallon_Zek00
    /pause 20
    /assist Kebaner
    /pet back

Note that:
    1) /pet attack has a much bigger range limit than /target does, so this method is very convenient, even as a general solution for targeting that doesn't require the granularity of selecting between mobs of the same name.
    2) The range limit of /pet attack is very large, but not unlimited. I never spaded the exact distance limit.

In the context of this workaround, it is fairly annoying/stupid to have /target work in this way. Assuming that TAKP works in the same way as Al'Kabor (does it?), I would advocate that the client should be modified in such a way that /target works in the same way as /pet attack to prevent the need to do this bullshit.

To play devil's advocate:
    1) It isn't Akkurate
    2) It would have micro-balance implications that make pet classes slightly worse?
    3) It makes the server less "cool", if you value hacky workarounds for basic functionality, which EQClassic in general has a lot of

Seems kind of trivial to debate either way, as it is mostly just a quality-of-life suggestion that would make people's lives easier.

Disclaimer 1: I don't actually play on this server, I only played on Al'Kabor.
    Disclaimer 2: I am not super familiar with this server so I don't know if the dev team typically modifies the client for things of this nature, so I suspect this suggestion may not be possible.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  19. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I'm sure it would help the dev team tremendously with your suggestions if they had a copy of all of your logs.

As an aside, how does one get to the very top of the library in PoK?

20. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

> I'm sure it would help the dev team tremendously with your suggestions if they had a copy of all of your logs.

Hey Dev.
    On all my characters, in the filter settings, I turned off all melee damage, all spells on others, and so forth, so my logs aren't super useful. (Besides revealing all the glamorous and exciting adventurers that I had killing raid bosses with very low amounts of people. =p)
    The logs are mostly just personal chat in /guild, alliance, etc.
    If a takp developer wants a log from a specific boss or something, I can provide that, using the character that was tanking it or whatnot.

> As an aside, how does one get to the very top of the library in PoK?

LOL! Climbing was one of my favorite meta-games in EQ. Getting to the top of the library is like a game-mechanics puzzle that you have to solve, using various tricks, like looking straight up at points so that you reduce the elevation of how much you fall while running. I don't remember enough to specifically write a step-by-step guide. I'm sure you could solve it yourself though if you put your mind to it. But you should probably open a different thread for those types of questions. =p

Edit - Just had a memory that made me burst out laughing. I remember putting a magician up there, and then going around PoK on my shaman randomly inviting melee characters to my group (who didn't have a way to self-levitate). Some would randomly accept the invite, and then I would coth them up there, and then log out the magician, and they would be stuck, having to jump to their death. LMAO

(I'm not a monster, yes I would rez them afterwards, still funny though)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  21. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Actually melee damage isn't valuable to me because I have it for the vast majority of the game already, particularly in PoP zones. Raid content on Live is largely unchanged. NPC damage is only one item on a long list of things to search for regardless.

What I need logs of most of all are just obscure things in the game in general; i.e. places, quests, mobs that people rarely did or went to. Player chat is very helpful because it is essential eye witness testimony of events while the event is unfolding in real-time to them. E.g. somebody in raid, actively fighting, saying 'mob X is immune to slow' is a lot more reliable than 'I remember mob X being unslowable'. I grep keywords for player chat a lot. For example I just grepped chat to find out if city guard NPCs were charm immune. Player chat is probably the most valuable content in the logs for me at this point.

Mechaike likes this.