Using a different client?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shazzone, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Shazzone

Shazzone New Member

Hey all,

I'm wanting to play on TAKP, but I find the client included on the wiki to behave strangely. Mouse gets stuck, tabbing out and in sometimes causes my keyboard to register, etc. I'm playing it on windows. I saw on the wiki mention of using a different client, but no instructions.

I have a working titanium client that I use for p99, and am curious if anyone has gotten something similar to work. I think it has all the content up to depths of dark hollow, so it should have everything I'd need, but I'm in the dark a bit on how client side EQ depends on server side.

Thanks!
    Shazz

2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Our server won't support Titanium I don't think.

3. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Rather than alt-tabbing, make use of hotkey.net for window switching.

Unfortunately, you will still run into some alt-tab issues if youre looking up resources by alt-tabbing to the web. It's rare but it happens.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

The server netcode has been heavily modified here to make it work with the original client. The client is the only thing unchanged (just wrapped in eqwindows), but the whole backend is different than most (if not all) other EQ emu's.

The only time alt tab causes issues for me anymore is occasionally when I alt tab while that active character is zoning. Are your alt tab issues happening during these times?

5. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Use hotkey.net to switch boxes, and the windows key to access browsers and such. Shouldn't have any problems.

6. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The Windows client is from the era when EQ took control over the machine and prevented alt-tabbing out of it. EQW must be used to make it run in modern Windows versions, and causes the key sticking issue. A future client release will no longer have alt key sticking issues or the mouse cursor stuck inside the client window.

The client from the wiki comes with HotKeyNet and a simple script (Script.txt) that you can use to switch client windows using the numpad, so you can just hit numpad 1, 2, and 3 to switch client windows instead of alt-tab. This will prevent alt key sticking when switching clients. Hitting left control + F12 will also launch 3 clients at once.

showstring and Mambo like this.
  7. Shazzone

Shazzone New Member

Just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Torven, am I to take it there's an intention to release an improved windows client at some point? =)

Do you think it's worth my time to muck with things on my own, or better off waiting for you guys to release something? Also, I'll take your tips about the Hotkeynet and see how it goes, excited about this server.

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

The improved windows client will really be same as current client, just with less of the bugs that cause it to get glitchy when switching windows. Its not going to be that much different. Playability wise it will be exactly the same.

The window switching bugs are not that bad currently. Big tip. Don't use alt-tab. Press windows button to release client. Use hotkeynet for client switching.

H

Mambo and showstring like this.
  9. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

The mouse not being stuck in window will be a huge qol improvement!

10. Shazzone

Shazzone New Member

Sorry for the late reply. Awesome news about the mouse being stuck etc. Any ETA on a release? I realize you guys probably have more pressing issues, just trying to figure out a timetable for me and a few friends.

Thanks again!

11. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I bought a Mac mini online for 60 bucks. Easily 3 boxes, and on Mac! Which is less problem prone than the PC client, as I understand it. Consider this as an option, as it is dirt cheap, in fact it costs less than a AAA title for console.