Understanding Armor Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trosh, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Trosh

Trosh New Member

This is a post I made on another forum, and I thought I would post it here because I didn't see anywhere that this was explained (and I did do a cursory check.. promise).

I should say first off, that this may not be how the AC is calculated on this particular project, but are good general guidelines to follow for determining the effectiveness of AC. (This is how AC was calculated at one point on live servers, around PoP I believe)

Defense and AC in EQ was super funky:

Defense worked the same way that Offense (+ weapon skill) did. Defense skill effected your AC, and Offense + weapon skill was your attack power. Your level versus enemy level plus AP or AC is the foundation of the system.

Defense is a strange beast, but it breaks down like this:

AC determined how much the mob would hit you for*
    Defense Skill + Defensive Skills (dodge, block, parry) + AGI + level of you vs. mob - determined whether the mob WOULD hit you in the first place.

*AC is the strangest beast of all in EQ, and it is quite annoying to calculate.
    You had your level and defensive skill, plus your item armor, plus shield, plus buffs to determine your actual AC value.

(These numbers may be off, but there is conflicting information online, and it has been changed several times down the expansion path for EQ)

Warriors: 90% AC stat effectiveness
    Plate: 75% AC effectiveness
    Chain: 50% AC effectiveness
    Leather: 25% AC effectiveness
    Cloth: 10% AC effectiveness
    Buffs: 100% AC effectiveness
    Shields: 100% AC effectiveness

So the way you calculate your overall defense; Take your comparative level versus the mob, your defense skill, your defensive skills, and then buffs and determine if the mob will HIT you. Then if the mob passes that check, you take your base AC and apply it to your class, then add on any modifiers like buffs and a shield to determining HOW MUCH it will hit you for (being a reduced % of it's maximum damage). This will change depending on how many checks you get a positive roll on, so if you fail partially or fully on some it will hit you for more.

Also not totally sure where AGI fits in there, but I know it adds to base AC, avoidance and the rolls of your defensive skills, somewhat like CHA for charm (I think it mostly helps with ac number and skill checks on defensive skills)

For example: You are a pally with all plate, so the mob hits you, bypassing your save checks for avoiding the damage, it then will take 75% of your ac modifier, add 100% from your shield and buffs, and determine how much damage you will take.

This is probably the most obnoxious defensive formula of any game ever, but it was based off of D+D rule sets, and so it needlessly complicated.

Paladins and ShadowKnights don't have as high skill caps as Warriors on their defensive skills, as well as getting much less real value from their armor, which makes them poorer tanks generally - but they have spells and shields to make up for that lack (this is why all raid tanks are Warriors, and groups prefer a SK or Pally for their flexibility)

Monks are an anomaly to this system as they should be a leather class, but are treated more as a chain/plate class, and they have much higher avoidance and more skills than most other melee classes.

A side-note for you casters out there: AC is totally useless, don't even bother trying to get it. you would need 100x more AC than your tank in order to get hit for as little as he/she does. Shields and buffs, however, are rather important because you get 100x more AC (aka mitigation) from them then you do your armor.

Again I'll state that this may not be how AC is calculated on Al'Kabor, and even this is a super dumbed-down version of the actual formulas used in the programming, but they are good guidelines and give more of an understanding than most people have of "the more the better".

Edit:
    Public Service Announcement: Low HP effects Agility, therefore reducing AC. It decreases at ~30%hp, and again at ~15%. Make sure to keep your HP up to avoid being hit for more damage!

Edit from Dev Blog:
    For shields
    "Now we go back to the amount of 'Shield AC' that was calculated earlier in the function and add that to this newly calculated AC cap. This is what has lead to the traditional wisdom that AC on your shield is anywhere from 4 to 3 times as useful as AC anywhere else."
    Basically shields are super neato, use them if you are going to get hit.

For agility
    "Now the next step is to calculate an agility bonus if your agility is over 70. This bonus is equal to your 'Functional Agility' / 20. Afterwards if your ac is less than 0, set it back to 0 again. In equation form:"
    Basically if you are a tank, you better have at least 70 agility, but there's more!
    Not going to post a huge paragraph here, but basically if you are a rogue or a BL you get a bigger bonus the more AGI you have, but all classes benefit from high agility. I knew agility came in here somewhere, but wasn't sure how.
    Monks also have a super tricky calculation, but can be summed up in "don't go over your weight"

Keep in mind the dev post posted below is for live servers, and is a very different equation than what is most likely being used in this project. Lots of the stats they have in the equation didn't even exist in titanium, let alone PoP. Unless you are a elitist min/maxxer, you can just take the general synopsis in this post and get a good idea of where you stand, generally, when it comes to AC.

Full Dev Post
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/ac-vs-acv2.210028/

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Never knew about the effectiveness of buffs vs worn. Great info, thanks!

3. poursoul

poursoul Member

Here is the text from a recent post by an eq live dev about how ac works. The numbers for the ac returns were different back in PoP, but most of the mechanics should be the same:

4. poursoul

poursoul Member

Also, the best information I've been able to find for what ac returns might have been pre-SoF, determined on steelwarrior probably, but I copied from a post on Samanna:

5. Trosh

Trosh New Member

Holy monkies.. I'll read through that at work, but I will say I know for a fact that the AC structure has been fundamentally re-hauled at least 2 times in EQ's life, and the first time was not long after PoP.. Of course we aren't technically using PoP and before, we are using Titanium.. so it has 10 total expansions, not 4.. That's why I say it is a good general guideline to follow, and not something to bust out calculators on.

Yeah, that's a mind-full of a post there from that dev. The equation we are using is more than likely not super close to the one posted, but I would imagine that perhaps like steps 1-15/20 are used. It also doesn't seem to talk about skills, skill checks, stun status, front/side/behind positioning, etc. It's a lot of info, and at least now I understand a bit more about AGI..