Torment Alt Access Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Break, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Break

Break People Like Me

Can the Tormet alternate access quest be done using charm instead of farming faction? I assume that you'd need to charm using each individual character, so that would require puppet strings for most.

Do I need to be able to speak orcish, or can I get by with just a straight hand-in?

I just realized how insanely slow attempting to faction will be. I'm looking for a shortcut.

Thanks

2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

You must faction and you must have 100 Orcish.

Factioning is not slow. Clear the correct wing once of all the spawns and you are basically done.

Break likes this.
  3. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll have to grind it and learn Orcish.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

also and this may need to go under bugs, but simply hailing the Orc with you 'H' key and the correct language set didn't get a response for me, I actually had to /say "Hail". So I'm assuming Hail doesn't use the language you currently have set.

You can train Orcish to 100 using practice points and then train other characters through chatting in group. That's what I did.

You will also get occasional guard and rat adds eventhough you are no where near the doors when you faction, so just something to be aware of. Some rooms, you'll have to kill an extra 5+ mobs due to invisible walls or some odd aggro.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  5. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks for the tip about the Orcish. I'll train one of the chars and add a hot key to my movement keys.

I also had a full wipe due to adds. I managed to attract the attention of 3 extra guards and a couple of rats. The faction mobs are all green, so I thought it would be cake. I decided to keep my AoE slow memmed after that, but I never got that many adds again.

6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

As an aside, you do not need to train a language skill to 100 to train others. When training languages, the skill on the recipient can go higher than the character training you.

So you can do this:
    Create a new level 1 character and put 5 points into an exotic language. Spam the skills until you get, I dunno, 5-10 skill ups on the intended recipient char? Then you zone on both chars, and start teaching the level 1 char with the now-higher recipient char until the level 1 has a higher skill. Then you zone again, and then you train with the level 1 again, and so on. I'm not totally sure how much +above the language skill can go above the person training you, but you can just zone often enough to get an update in your Skills tab.

Basically keep spamming it and zone periodically and both chars will be at 100 skill (having started with 0 and 5 skill or whatever). Then you can delete that language training lvl 1 mule, and re-create with same name (to keep your UI hotkeys or whatever) and repeat the learning process with a different exotic language.

I maxed every race and every exotic language like this over a period of a few hours one day when I was bored.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  7. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

Shhhh Rimi... exploiting like that might get you a banana hammer.

8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

blah blah blah, something about Client issue, you can't touch me!

9. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I think it's supposed to increase from just hearing it in any channel that supports languages but we only do group chat here. I think the idea might have been that a dark elf could learn dwarvish by just sneaking around and listening to them talk maybe, but the game didn't really turn out that way and languages are all but useless. I guess it's hard to separate out the role playing of fantasy languages from 'ooc' meta discussion about the game itself.

Cadsuane likes this.
  10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Yep, I tried this for a while and it was just too annoying. Also, remember that evacs reload the zones, etc. And you can only go +1 above the other before needing to zone.

11. Jakkoris

Jakkoris Member

Well colour me fuggen impressed.

20 years of EQ and look at these gems I still learn.

12. Break

Break People Like Me

It was indeed a pretty quick exercise that took about a lap of the northern most ring. I guess the larger than average "dubious" con range threw me for a loop.

After all of the discussion about how best to gain Orcish, I just threw a couple hundred plat at it to level up one character to 100. I'll just train the others using a hot-key, so I don't have to worry about zoning.

13. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I remember a time when, while auctioning trades in East Commons tunnel, racial language use was a thing.

Dark elves creeping over would find at least some good races acting cliquey and speaking their mother tongues. Neat feature that really fell by the wayside.

14. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

On WoW the two factions speak different languages and can't communicate. In theory this might make players focus on playing the game instead of 'socializing' after being killed by someone. If you say 'lol' they see 'kek' or 'bur' which have sort of become memes in their own right. It wasn't always possible, they tried to lock people to one faction, but if people really want to cuss each other out they just log over onto the other faction and send their messages that way. I remember they tried this on some EQ role play servers too and it was the same hassle, people just logged over onto a different account to communicate. So I guess as neat as it is for setting and atmosphere, people want to communicate with the other players, not their characters, and it just gets in their way.

15. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Roleplay optional

16. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thieve's Cant was a good one because I believe it didn't show up in the skill window on a trainer for you to train. A Rogue had to start you off with it. A lot didn't know about that and you could be really cliquey and secretive.

Manstache, Break and Tuluvien like this.
  17. Aithne

Aithne Member

I finished the alt access quest on 5 toons. Factioning was easy, just kill all prisoners in the northern half of the zone one time and you are amiably (if you started with default faction value).

18. Break

Break People Like Me

Oh, I finally attempted this using charm. Charm worked, so is definitely a viable shortcut instead of farming faction.

As others have mentioned, the faction isn't actually very hard. I was just whining because most of the mobs were light blue and green when I got around to farming the faction.

19. Aithne

Aithne Member

Think charm works only on the charmer since it makes you amiably and others only indifferently.

Trollio55 likes this.
  20. Break

Break People Like Me

Correct. Non-charming classes would need puppet strings.