TL;DR questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simes, Feb 13, 2019.

1. simes

simes New Member

Is there a place that I can ask dumbass questions?

I played EQ extensively on PC for about 10 years but I finished playing in 2009/10.

I am keen to play again - I have the game running fine as far as I can tell.

But I just have a few questions that I could do with asking (and having them answered of course) to enable me to get off the ground.

Thank you.

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Ask away.

3. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

This seems as good a place as any

4. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

One of the beautiful things about this community is that you won't get flamed for "dumbass" questions. Your word bro, not mine. There is a tech help forum, but people will help you here just the same.

Slayzz likes this.
  5. simes

simes New Member

OK thank you both.

I am playing on a Macbook Pro with an external monitor attached. Outside of EQ they operate as two independent screens. Inside - the external monitor works, the laptop display goes black. Can I do anything about this?

Also, the game displays on my external display at what I believe to be 4x3 aspect ratio, rather than using the full 16x9 screen. Can I do anything about this?

Last time I played, there were in game maps, are they not available on AK yet?

None of these are killer issues - I can always get some maps up on my iPad.

Thanks in advance,

Simes

6. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

No ingame maps.
    You could theoretically run windows in Parallels and use it to launch ZlizEqMap, which watches your logs for /loc and shows you a map and character location in a separate program

7. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

in-game maps were legacy of ykesha expansion, which is out of our era

this reads your eqlog /loc coordinates and overlays an x on a map file
    https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/zlizeqmap-luclin-map-pack.12121/

you could try specifying game window height and width in eqclient.ini, not sure what 16:9 aspect ratios might work but give it a shot. you don't want to run fullscreen anyway

[VideoMode]
    Width=1600
    Height=1024

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Open a finder window. on the task bar select the "Go" menu and choose Library. If you don't see the Library option try holding down the alt key.
    Once you're in the library, go to Application Support and then Everquest. find the eqclient.ini file and open it with textedit.
    Cmd+F for WindowedMode. and set it to =TRUE. If you don't have that line in there already, you can just hit enter and paste in WindowedMode=TRUE onto its own line.
    Cmd+F for VideoMode as showstring mentions above, and choose your preferred resolution.

Another option for maps is http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/atlas.html

I haven't played around with a 2 monitor setup so i'm not sure the best way to go about setting up things on your laptop screen while EQ is on your monitor, but here's a guide to using mission control to swap between eq instances and other stuff: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/questions-about-boxing.12509/#post-70205

9. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

This by far is the easiest thing to do if you're using macOS. Just use Thucy's link for Allakabors EQatlas page.

10. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

11. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Yes you can adjust the screen size to match closer to say a 16:9 ratio. I have adjusted mine to do just that. However it’s not a ratio thing as much as it is a screen size thing. If you go to the client.ini file like rimi (showstring) mentioned you can adjust it. You will just need to play around with it and it will take multiple attempts to get it to a size that matches your screen size. I’ve done it for my lap top and my iMac and the numbers are all different. You will then also need to readjust the UI files for your characters as some things like the raid box for example move off the screen entirely and need to be adjusted to a value where it shows on your screen again so you can move it manually back to where you want it. The good thing is that once you’ve done it once you can simply copy paste the UI file over to your other chars so you don’t have to do it manually for each one.

It sounds difficult but it’s really not. I am computer dumb and I can do it :).