The save patch poll.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Should the save() patches be brought back?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. With or without patch I was/am unaffected.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

We wanted to rule out a few things being caused by the patches I put in.
    I "think" they are unrelated so far. But I hear a multitude of reports that they are having serious issues without this patch in place.
    Should we put it back in until a more permanent rewrite of the functions it bypasses are done?

2. Zetro

Zetro Member

Voted no due to connectivity problems caused by the constant additional saves for every character logged into the server. The cure was worse than the disease.

3. Zetro

Zetro Member

I can't remember the last time I had a serious rollback. Maybe a month ago? But I know to do something to force a save after significant gains. I guess someone is having a bad time with rollbacks? Can I suggest a manual /forcesave command with a 5 minute refresh for these folks? That's enough to preserve gains and the refresh period keeps it from being used to grief server resources.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I am running two PC clients, windows 7, hardwired. With the save patch it seemed like I was getting disconnected more often while zoning. After removing the patch the disconnects appeared less frequent. With both patches its rare for me to go LD just hanging out in a zone. I didn't vote though, because I am concerned about influencing results with nothing but estimations. Maybe I will start righting down when/what box/etc I crash or go LD.

5. Theus

Theus Well-Known Member

I have not voted yet either. I am still not sure which way is better.

6. Rrio

Rrio Member

Thought I'd add my two cents here since my experience is opposite that of the other posters. I've had horrible stability since the patch was reverted. I experience persistent yet unpredictable LDs, resulting in boots to the character selection screen. They happen sometimes during fights, sometimes when looting my corpse, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. It has resulted in losing about 2.5 levels total from rollbacks or LDs during fights, and I've lost hundreds of plat since going LD upon looting my corpse results in all the money I was carrying at the time poofing. This is even while trying to make an effort to regularly /camp to force a save, but even that is not a very practical solution for a pet class. None of this was happening when the save patch was in place. I'm playing on a Mac OSX 10.9, using a wifi connection. Unfortunately I cannot practically use a wired ethernet connection.

7. Dejection

Dejection New Member

I mostly agree with Rrio, but my experience is slightly different. I have been having frequent LDs, with or without the save patch implemented. These occur while just hanging out in the zone or while zoning. As the save patch didn't really seem to affect the amount of LDs that I have, I got at least some benefit by not having progress completely wiped out with the LDs. With the patch reverted, I've had a few more instances of LD resulting in a decent amount of xp loss.

8. Quaos

Quaos New Member

I'm more on the side with Rrio and Dejection. LD's were no different and I've never lost xp in open alpha yet but with the save patch I didn't have to camp often to fix desyncs.

9. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

The code is having a major change from the merge of the main eqemu code. Major code change to the way the database query and slot revamped. Soon we'll be having a player profile blob conversion that will get saved to the database.

They are not on the server yet since it's still in progress. But when Speedz gets back, He will put what we have done so far on the dev server for testing before it gets put out on the server.

10. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Post patch my clients will randomly LD with no discernable pattern. Sometimes, I can leave the toons logged in for hours and no LD, so it could possibly be something that is happening during gameplay. I did experience more LDs post patch, but had significantly more desync issues in game pre-patch.

11. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

This issue is void now.
    Emu parent code has undergone a major revamp.
    Once that is proven stable and we get the chance to merge, I hope the issues that this hack patch uncovered should be a thing of the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.