TAKP Wiki: If you build it, they will come (hopefully)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tragedie37, Nov 6, 2022.

1. tragedie37

tragedie37 Active Member

I've not been playing much lately, but do log on occasionally and have actually got into a few groups. I run Linux and came up with a way to get it running with a little bit more modern Wine version (thanks @Meriadoc). That brought me to the Wiki. I took my forum guide and created a Wiki page.

As I grouped and looked for information, I found myself on ZAM's website, whose information can be quite a bit off from TAKP; also, I found myself looking at the wonderful P99 wiki, Almar's Guides, et al. Which got me thinking: "Why can't we have more TAKP-specific information on our wiki?"

The current wiki is extremely bare bones; I've been working hard on getting the information up there, but some of it might not be accurate. So, if you find yourself searching for something, I'm here to plug TAKP's wiki: it's getting better, so give it a try. Also, if you see something wrong, please let me know and I'll look into changing it or, even better, create a wiki account and change the information.

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thanks for any efforts on the wiki. I've been trying to promote its use and as well. The problem I've found over the years is that P99 or Allakhazam is accurate about 95% or so of the time so people are just in the habit of not using it at all. What I've been trying to do is when I find info that is different than those other resources, I put those articles in first. In the end though, I wish we could get to a point where going to the P99 wiki or Alla's is a rare thing (not the first thing) that people do, but so much needs to be added that simply 1 or 2 or 5 people can't do it alone. I have a bunch of ideas on additions, but its also hard to justify the effort when people rarely use it.

tragedie37 likes this.
  3. tragedie37

tragedie37 Active Member

It is definitely a lot of effort. I've made some strides and will continue to work on it. It's all pretty much derivative work at this point, but I'm trying to put my own spin on things. I've had to learn the mediawiki syntax from scratch and trying to find PoP appropriate, EQMac specific stuff is difficult. Right now, I'm working on my Shaman's epic; so, I figure that I will work on the Shaman Epic wiki page while I'm at it :).

giantfortt likes this.
  4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

There's a lot of stuff buried in the forums that may be difficult to find with searches that would be good candidates. The epic pages would be nice. Speedz completed a lot of Epic stuff in the epic tracker as well that may be slightly more TAKP specific: https://www.takproject.net/EpicTracker/

I feel all of the newbie quests would be great in the wiki with complete write ups on hints, possible spawn rates, PHers, locations, etc. To redo all of them is a daunting task though, lol.

The Greenmist is different here than on Alla's and P99 due to Droga being different and always causes confusion. Again though, to redo Greenmist, ugh, lol.

The spreadsheet calculators that are linked on the wiki I'd love to implement those natively on the wiki somewhow. We can all dream I guess.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    tragedie37 likes this.
  5. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

I uploaded a spreadsheet to the wiki recently and found a converter online to change it into the tables that wiki uses:
    https://tableconvert.com/excel-to-mediawiki
    Theres a dropdown to change it to accept csv or a number of various other inputs.

tragedie37 likes this.
  6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thanks, the spreadsheets I'm referring to though have calculations where you you can modify certain values and see the results calculated. Perhaps there is a plugin we could use for something like this.