Takp server numbers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitya, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I just recently found out about this server after doing some research on quality classic experiences, being close to original Al'Kabor. I did play on AK on live but only got to level 29 or thereabouts.

I also recently tried out P1999 but didn't particularly like how overcrowded the server was, and how the team is stopping at Velious.

After installing TAKP I realized there also used to be a server as part of p2002?

Can anyone share some insight on what happened there? What are the server numbers like on here? Will I *have* to box to get by?

I would ultimately like to raid and knowing there isn't a "bat phone bottleneck" is very appealing to me.

Thanks for all the work you've done on this server!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Well, you can find a history on TAKP here -> http://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/about-the-al-kabor-project.8/

We have been having a lot of newcomers here lately and more often. I have seen the numbers gotten as high as 70 this past week and it has been averaging out around 30 to 40 lately.

P2002 are forked off from this server so they are pretty much an independent server from us since they started it up last March. We have been in development since 2010 as noted in the link above.

3. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the info, Rob. Ultimately I want to play somewhere that embodies the experience of classic but still has Luclin & PoP, which were largely my favorite expansions.

They had lot of QOL enhancements and features that I appreciated. I've heard the difference between P2002 and TAKP is the raiding. Can you shed any light on that?

And, as a general question: if I level to 50(60) and know my class etc, I should be able to find a raiding guild fairly easily here on TAKP?

What are the schedules like in regards to releasing things like Kunark, Velious, Luclin, etc?

4. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

The primary reason, as far as I remember, for P2002 splitting in the first place was their desire for a "first come first serve" on raid targets, rather than a schedule set up amongst the raiding guilds, as we have here. So I'd imagine that is the primary difference betwixt the two.

Yes, you should be able to find a raiding guild. I'm in Destiny, who was also on AK, and we're one of the raiding guilds. I believe there are 2-3 main raiding guilds on the server at the moment.

Kunark's released was just announced to be October 6th. The other releases will be done later as everything among the expansions are tested by the devs and volunteers from the player populace.

5. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the information! It sounds like TAKP is where I want to be. I have a family now, wife, daughter, etc - for me to be on bat phone raiding is a bit much...

I remember Destiny! I got buffs on AK from some of your members when I was leveling my noob toon.

I spoke to Douggy last night (who was exceptionally nice by the way), and he told me to send some folks from Destiny a message.

For what it's worth, I'm very excited. I plan on going with the two classes I've mastered on live, and adding in a third for convenience:
    Necro (main), Enchanter (alt/2nd main), and Cleric(or Druid) for fast recovery.

Oiwon, Elrontaur and Sturmm like this.
  6. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I feel you, I have a wife and two sons, including a baby. I love EQ, but I can't get up at oh-dark-thirty to raid on a consistent basis

Oiwon and Elrontaur like this.
  7. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Not quite. One of p2002's administrators was a leader of Armed and Hammered, and he was threatening to force his guild to create an army of SKs to HT kill raid bosses at spawn if rotations were not implemented because they were poopsocking dragons for a brief period after Starvald put some pressure on them. The real reason they left was because Speedz banned several of their members because one of them was making DDoS threats against P99 (which is hosted in the same data center we are) plus they were unhappy with the administration here in general over other previous incidents. (gnome illusion clickies being replaced, etc)

The truth is many Armed members were in favor of rotations and they had a split vote. They made their own server because they think they can administrate a server better, and/or hold a grudge. To be fair, I think they had some legitimate grievances, but they decided to go this route instead of swallowing their pride, which is fine considering that's what Speedz told them to do. "if you don't like X, make your own server"

The main differences between TAKP and P2002 are:

We mandate rotations on major bosses, they don't.
    P2002 is focused on rapid release of content at the expense of reduced accuracy.
    Our staff hardly plays at all, if at all. Some of p2002's staff leads the primary guild on their server.
    P2002 is dependent on us for the vast majority of its server code; they launched Kunark without disciplines or boats.
    Our population has more ex-Al'Kabor members, while their population is mostly Project 1999 users.

Oiwon likes this.
  8. Toejam

Toejam Member

I really hope that my post can stand without getting deleted or myself being banned. That being said, let me adress a few of the claims made my Torven in his last post

This never happened. I surely hope someone told you it did, which would mean you are operating under misinformation, otherwise it is just a blatant lie

those were 2 members of the guild who were not even officers of Armed & Hammered, let alone leaders

You make it sound like there was an imminent danger, the person in question actually made "DDOS threats" years ago, and it was in jest, on another server, way before this project started and way before this project was moved to the P99 data center. Other members were banned for other reasons, like "guilty by association" or "forum drama"

That is only half of the truth. Actually there was 2 options on that vote, one for a GM enforced rotation and one for a community controlled rotation. ANH members voted for the latter, and despite it being the majority of the vote at that time, the server went with a GM enforced rotation. The thread was then removed from the forum

The admins of P2002 have stated repeatedly that their main reason for hosting their own server was to create an environment with less GM control over what is happening on the server. According to them, they want to cater to a different type of players.

out of 5 P2002 Staff members, only 3 have active characters, and only 1 of them actually plays on the server. He also does not lead the guild.

The rest is more or less accurate

9. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I don't like bans or censorship, especially when I start it. If something happens to you, I'll protest-- loudly.

Anyway, regarding threats of SK armies, this is from #peqmac: (a public channel)

(23:02:35)<p2002 dev 1>i can have 30 sk's leveled to 50 in two weeks and we can sit FD with HT ready to roll...and the mob will spawn and die within 1 minute of popping
    (23:02:49)<p2002 dev 1>i dont want that...the server doesnt need that
    (23:04:14)<p2002 dev 1>just roll with rotations for the two targets currently in and let the entire server have a chance to see the content currently available
    (23:18:00)<p2002 dev 1>and if this server is in the true light of AK....rotations were a part of AK and people should abide by them
    (23:18:10)<p2002 dev 1>if we want to be Fippy #2
    (23:18:29)<p2002 dev 1>we can play the 64 SK raid game until Velious and stupify all content
    (23:19:12)<p2002 dev 1>no need to get offended ...I am simply saying within the rules a rotation is a better solution
    (23:20:44)<p2002 dev 1>why would we not want a rotation?
    (23:21:03)<p2002 dev 1>i am telling them to vote a rotation'
    (23:21:09)<p2002 dev 1>because I dont want to poopsock

(17:45:06)<p2002 dev 2>I played on Fippy
    (17:45:13)<p2002 dev 2>i will never go back to dps races
    (17:30:51)<p2002 dev 2>just let each guild have access to the bosses
    (17:30:55)<p2002 dev 2>each week

(07:05:21)<p2002 dev 3>my stance is I don’t want ot have to buy a new pair of socks each week

Dev #1 was either the leader of Armed, or was an officer at least.
    Dev #2 wanted GMs to spawn dragons for each guild every week. So much for no GM intervention.

PM if you want names Toejam.

Armed at one point was sitting in Nagafen's room waiting for respawn for hours. It wasn't just two people.

I don't like how the DDoS bans were handled either. P99 was who took the threat seriously, not just us.

If the devs are no longer leading the guild, then great.

11. Toejam

Toejam Member

First of all, it doesn't look good if you leave out the other half of the conversation, it makes it look like your'e trying to hide something or trying to take it out of context. I am not saying that's what you are doing, just what it may look like to people. It is very easy to take stuff out of context when hiding the full story. That being said: Does this really look like a full on threat to create 64 SK and do that? I do not believe so. It looks more like someone trying to make a point. But in any case I am glad you are bringing this to the light.

You can PM me the names and also the other part of the conversation that you removed.

The DDOS ban was a joke, which is why it was reverted. Now that P99 has launched Velious without the world ending, that should lay to rest any speculation about that topic. IMO :)

Some of the other bans were very questionable. People got banned for posting information on other forums like rerolled and P99. In other cases even if there was explanations given, those threads have since been removed from the forum. I can understand why it happened. But if you remove this kind of stuff it leaves a vacuum of information that is usually being filled with misinformation and conspiracy theories. Or in this case, a person asking what really happened.

Bottom line is, the 2 servers are peaceful now, the war is over. No need for propaganda :)

12. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Wow - sorry if this got off topic a little bit. I do appreciate the information and the back and forth. I'm glad the war is over and everything is peaceful. I never meant to start any drama with my thread.. I've made some characters here on TAKP and I am excited to start playing and enjoying the content. For me, it's about time and resources. I am a family man now, and I just don't have the ability to be bat-phoned at 2:00am just for a chance at killing a dragon. Furthermore, it's a chance for me to amend some of the mistakes I made on live when I played. I know that with the right commitment and team mates I can actually achieve some cool raids and develop my character(s) in a fun and challenging way, without having to sacrifice my personal life.

Again, thanks for all of the info here. :)

13. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

No server can be all things to all people, TAKP only wants to be one thing to all people. To be as close to the play experience of AK as humanly possible. This includes an agreed upon play style by all raiding guilds. Agreements are made and honored. Content is shared as logically and fairly as possible. These are the things that made AK great, and that continue to shine on TAKP. I never played on any PC Servers all the EQ I've ever known was AK, and now I see why everyone was so shocked the first time they logged in.

AK wasn't the greatest most updated server in EQ, but it was home to a whole bunch of amazingly cool Macheads who helped each other in game and actually gave a shit about the other players. I was so used to the 'gimme gimme' of 15 year olds on other online games, so AK immediately struck me as something completely different. The population was already very top heavy by the time I joined, but even the uborz L33T players would still take time out of their busy schedules to answer stupid questions from a noob ranja.

To find one or two people like that was always amaze balls online, to find an entire server full of peeps like that was like finding a gold mine. The game was kind of fun, but chatting and getting to know everyone was what kept me coming back.

Oiwon, Neealana, Sturmm and 2 others like this.
  14. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Funny how all of this old drama got brought up. - Seriously, didn't see that coming...

I'm just gonna chime in and say 'they' left and made their own server. That was their choice. Obviously there were some disagreements and those disagreements still stand. Basically it came down to they didn't like the raiding rules here which were the same rules that existed on AK. Also certain members were smearing TAKP/Devs elsewhere because they had personal differences.
    I'd be open to A & H coming back and rejoining TAKP and contributing in a productive way and having a place in the community, but they have to be respectful of the rules.
    Be a part of the community.
    Getting in to personal disputes with the Devs will get you banned here. And guess what, it will get you banned on P99, and on Live too.
    It's not that hard, JUST PLAY THE GAME that we all know and love and enjoy it!
    When the server first came out and there were 3 guilds fighting over 2 raid mobs, things got complicated. You can head for the hills or you can hang in there and take part in shaping things the best you can. Rome was not built in a day. Neither was Disneyland. And they sure as F*ck weren't built by 1 person.

Now to the dude new to the server. - Welcome! If you are looking for a legitimate AK experience this server is as close as it comes and has the largest population of previously dedicated AK players. There's no poopsocking, and if you're of the right level you will find a guild and be able to experience the content you desire. If you want to play classic and kill some dragons you came at a good time because we are still in classic and Kunark is just over a month away. Look forward to seeing you in game.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  15. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

That's not why they left, which was my point. They more or less wanted rotations and left for other reasons. Granted I'm sure they would have protested how rotations were handled.

16. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

You're right, there were a lot of reasons. But as I recall that definitely did play a part in the matter - for some of those that ended up leaving.
    I mean, does it really matter!? Those who left, left for a variety reasons and they are their own reasons.

They could swallow their pride and come back if they really wanted to.
    Or not.
    Honestly wouldn't make that much of a difference to me.
    I enjoyed the company of a few of those that left, but I've had a blast since they've been gone, and I'm gonna have a blast playing on TAKP whether they are here or not. :)

I just hate to see old BS like this dug up and put on display as if it were still relevant and up for debate.
    I really feel like it's an old topic and in the past, and thats probably where it belongs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015