Spell aggro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burly, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Burly

Burly New Member

Spells appear to generate virtually no aggro, at least in the lower levels. Stuff like Disease Cloud and Clinging Darkness seems to basically generate as much aggro as one melee swing. I've also never taken aggro from healing, even chaining heals won't turn adds that the tank hasn't dealt damage to yet. I can pull with a snare and send the pet with taunt off and it'll take aggro on the first attack. This very clearly isn't working as intended, so is this a known issue or what? This is pretty much the most important mechanic in the game and it feels like it's barely implemented on this server.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

3. PompeiiEQ

PompeiiEQ Active Member

I run a Pally, Druid, Mage combo and it seems to be working fine. If I forget to use Flash of Light my mage will pull aggro nuking. Or the Druid healing.

4. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

You're likely experiencing some of the quirks that cause agro to behave differently at different level ranges. At very low levels, things with fixed values like melee range will have larger impacts. Against very high hp mobs in later expansions, agro will be decided by non-damaging threat spells like snare and slow. In the mid range it seems that shear numbers (damage or healing) are often the deciding factor, so you might find it more difficult to keep agro off the healer at 50.

5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Spell hate scales with target hitpoints, which is why spells may 'feel' different at certain level ranges.

Also, at very low levels, the melee range temporary hate bonus is large. If you try to pull mobs off of people with spells, they will seem less effective if the mob is outside of melee range of you; when you get close to the mob again, it will turn to you.

6. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

What Torven and everyone said is pretty much spot on. At lower levels it can be hard to detect because of proximity aggro and melee range. Sometimes I can stand there and nuke/smack/taunt something a dozen times with my SK, but unless my cleric backs up a few steps, he stays on the top of the aggro charts. From your original post it sounds like you're having some issues with aggro kiting... and again that is due to the disparity of the melee damage your pet puts out versus the threat generated by your necro's spells.

Don't quote me on this, but I think when you get to around level 24 or 28 you will be fine doing aggro kiting with /pet taunt off. Or whenever necros get root - I think around 34. Here is usually how I do this:
    Open with engulfing darkness (best bang for your buck for a long time) and then immediately hit them with poison based dot. Then, give the dots 1-2 seconds to tick, have yourself a seat and get a mana back because you'll want to re-apply that Engulfing darkness. Right as you do, send the pet. You'll be fine for having aggro until that thing is dead. If you start to loose aggro, toss another poison based dot or sit on the ground. Other necro rules apply (leech as necessary etc).

The other thing you can do when you get root is just open with a root/dot and then snare and when root breaks, have the pet go to down while you aggro kite around.