Skada says "Hail TAKP"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoodlum, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

Hey all,

I'm just getting started here and wanted to say hi, as well as ask a couple of questions. Coming from P99 where I played on and off. However I work, have twin 1yr olds and a 3yr old, and was going to school, so I basically was unable to play much on P99.

Recently graduated, I have a little more free time now and I've been jonsing to play EQ. I do still have semi-frequent interruptions due to babies, so playing the classes I want to play is almost impossible on P99 since I cannot reliable group most of the time. After some hunting I found this awesome project. I just setup my 3 accounts, and am tinkering with some level 1s.

My trio will definitely have a Ranger (Skada) and likely a cleric or shaman, but the third is undecided.

Here are my questions -
    1. Can combat music be disabled in this client? (I actually like the rest of the game sounds... I'm weird)
    2. Is there a way to exit loot windows by pressing a movement key?
    3. Is it possible to set the Hot Buttons bar in a lateral orientation?
    4. Any recommendations for the third class in Ranger & Cleric group, keeping in mind this is a brand new acct? Is enchanter necessary, or can I go with something else?
    5. Are there any areas where people actually group with other people here?

Thank you and sorry if any of the questions are redundant.

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

1) /combatmusic off
    2) No, you can hit Esc though
    3) Yes with a custom UI. I use a 5x2 layout.
    4) Enchanter is not necessary but it's probably best with those two.
    5) Sure, but more of that toward the upper ends.

Tesadar likes this.
  3. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to TAKP! I'm sure others will chime in with better advice but I can try to answer a few things.

1. Combat music can be disabled in the ini file: CombatMusic=FALSE. I haven't tried this because I like the music, but the option exists.
    2. I'm not sure on this.
    3. There are alternate UIs, we have a subforum for it.
    4. Ranger/Cleric/Enchanter is a tried and proven combo that lets you go around solo pretty effectively. That being said, we have a pretty active population and guilds and raids and all that stuff, so you don't have to play strictly by yourself, and should pick the classes that you'll enjoy. Also, by playing something other than cleric/enchanter for your support crew, you will be less redundant when you duo with another 3 boxer who's running that same popular combo.
    5. Yes, lots of opportunities to group. The limit is 3 box, so you can duo with another 3 boxer. A lot of people don't box 3 and you can do things like trio with 2 other 3 boxers each dropping one character, or whatever you come up with.

You don't have to box 3, just start with the 2 you're set on, and once you're in your 40s you'll have a better understanding for the dynamics and what's going to help you.

4. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

Thanks for the info Lenas! I'll look into the custom UIs.

On a side note, I just noticed the POK books and that they're live. Looks like I won't have an issue getting my group together from various regions. So excited! lol

5. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

Thanks for the response, Solar! That is good advice. I may go this route.

6. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Welcome to TAKP! I started not too long ago and started with a monk/shaman and it took me until my late Teen's to land on Cleric as my third. I'd advise that you try out a couple of different classes as your third box, you might surprise yourself.

7. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

If you do decide to run a third box, something simple like a wizard or a magician might be best. Wizard would be especially handy for help getting around early on. Tho eventually you'll want that third box to be a class that can slow, but that's not really a necessity until you're in your 50s.

8. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

Thanks for all the info guys!

I do have one other question. I remember at some point after the Velious era that class starting armor quests were put into the game. Do those exist here by chance?

9. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Hi hi welcome, and congratulations on the babies! Good pals @Lenas and @solar have done a fabulous job answering your earlier qustions, so here's a response to the last one!

Some of them are in, following Al`Kabor convention. You can see them on our wiki at http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Newbie_Armor_Quests

10. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

As the owner of young Bumlings myself, I will suggest not expecting to charm on the enchanter if you will have lots of kidteruptions. Enchanter charms here are way overpowered and lots of people abuse them for that. I would go with something else than enchanter, maybe wiz/mage like someone said.

11. Rabitz

Rabitz Member

Hi & Welcome! I recently switched over from p99 a few months back and have been having a blast. This is my first time playing on a low(er) population server and not at all what I expected in the best ways. I rolled Ranger/Cleric/Enchanter and it's been very powerful, although now that my Ranger is 40+ I mainly try to one box her since she will be my main and I want to get 50+ to start raiding ASAP. This was my first experience boxing, and I must say boxing on my PC is very doable but when I try to box on my Mac laptop I usually get frustrated and something goes wrong.

I also have pretty limited play time so being able to box is nice when I want to play but only have 30 mins or so. When I played p99 I had this ever-present feeling of "better get to doing whatever I want to do ASAP before someone else does" that was somewhat exhilarating but looking back incredible stressful- I probably died 100 times rushing the run up to Frenzy in Velk's just because I had competition enter the zone. People seem much more laid back here, and instead of getting worried when I see someone enter the zone I instead am excited. Looking forward to getting higher level so I can hang out with even more people!

Hope to see you in game =)

pharmakos likes this.
  12. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Good advice in this. Welcome to TAKP!

I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old, and just finished my MBA in May. My visions of raiding and hardcore playing here were given up very early on, but it's still an awesome server to devote whatever free time you have.

I chose a druid as my healer so I could evac out of dungeons when baby duty called. Avoid charms like Bum said, it's just not realistic if you're on stand by with kids. I'd go something like Ranger/shaman/bard and you would work well with the tank cleric trios. Bard can just play songs while you learn to box. Shaman really comes into its own as a dominant class in the late 30s and a solid healer in the 50s. Wizard is another decent box. However, pacify is powerful here and typically recommended in your trio if you want to do indoor hunting.

13. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

Morbo, Mokli and Ransom like this.
  14. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

My wife would think I am Clara from the Guild.

Mokli likes this.
  15. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

You aren't?

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Fairly sure there was a lengthy debate and it was decided that I was Zaboo

@actualspaide

17. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Bum is 100% zaboo

18. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

@Bum Dat baby gate lmao!

19. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Zaboo ain't got kids!

20. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

But do you?

-ps baby gate pic is from google, I'm a closet gamer and I keep it in the closet from my overlord.. er... wife

Tesadar likes this.
  21. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

My wife is hoping the 11th is the day - she likes the numerical nature of 81118

Ransom likes this.
  22. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Congrats in advance. Welcome to lack of sleep and EQ. It's rewardingly awful. :)

23. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Heard he is naming her Friona Vie

Tesadar likes this.
  24. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

That's awesome man, congrats! You will never be so happy to be so sleep deprived :)