Serverwide takp ventrillo/ts voicechat server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oiwon, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

So the idea is pretty much all in the title.

First and foremost it would be fun.

It's not like we have a HUGE population here, and I like to think of our community as more friendly than say, that of P99.

So what say you all? Pros? Cons? Aye! Nay?

We could even have cool channel names like:

-Friendzone
    -Rated PG
    -Rated "R"
    -The Penalty Box
    -GuildLeaders/Officers
    -Devs
    -Group 1
    -Group 2
    -Group 3

If enough people are interested I would definitely be willing to chip-in financially.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Just host a free mumble server and you can worry about upgrading if you run out of bandwidth. No need to financially things.

Oiwon likes this.
  3. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Never used mumble, but i've heard great things! Thanks for the tip Shortok! Looking forward to seeing you in the voice chat server! Coming to a TAKP near you!

4. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

Mumble is great! We've pretty much completely quit using vent since we got it and yeah anyone can make a server for it for free, would be nice if it was on an always-on dev server or something constant but i don't think that's anything they'd want to worry about right now. I definitely like the idea, but I think it would take some testing. I should say that I'm very very accustomed to playing games with headsets and these are my thoughts, and my opinions on it.

The believe the pros to be:
    A) It's fun! You get to know people pretty fast that way and it's always amusing to hear people.
    B) It's convenient. I play a lot of other games that are typically small squad-based like CS:GO or Heroes of the Storm or StarCraft 2 etc etc, that pretty much require a headset, so i'm already used to having one and it's easy to put together.
    C) It makes grouping in difficult areas a lot more efficient/streamlined. Instead of having to stop or go on auto-run or wince and hurry and type out that your group needs to evac or that there are 3 inc or that you're out of mana, you can quickly just say it while still being able to work your incredible, leet skills with both hands.

I think the cons would be: (IF there are a lot of people on all at once especially)
    A) Obnoxious people, lol. There's always that guy. Or those guys. Whether it's "drunk" or high guy, or annoying squeaker adolescents, or blabber mouth, or wants to start a verbal pissing contest with anyone guy, or the people that don't know how to set up their mic so they sound like they're yelling in a buzzy, god-awful sort of way. Not to mention the people that have other music or other sounds constantly hammering down on everyone while they're trying to play their game. Then there's the people with their own speakers blasting through their own mic so there is just a terrible echo of every sound made by everyone because one or god forbid, two fellows or gals don't have noise cancellation or have their volume up to ear-piercing levels.
    B) Someone's gonna have to run it reliably or else people won't be able to log in a lot and people would quit trying. I'm also not sure many that would want to take it upon themselves and their own bandwidth for that.
    C) People w/out mics will still be typing in response to what people are saying out loud and trying to be part of it and it's kinda painful to try to keep up on.

All-in-all Mr. Oiwon I'd say it's a hell of an idea, but I think it's too broad if you do it server-wide, because you realize with 30 or 40+ people all trying to talk at the same time is going to be a HUGE clusterf***, er mess. I have already invited people to join the mumble I use when I get to know them in groups, which I think is the best way to go. In groups it is an incredibly fun and invaluable tool, and also raids. But if someone wanted to use it in a group you'd hear like 2-4 people talking the whole time about their pulls and mobs and mana status and everything on a general thing. Something with limited people joining up would be best, like a slew of channels so people could move. Maybe if we set up a handful of chat channels, one that was server wide and then a few for people to use in groups or whatever? I dunno. I like the idea though, at the very least i'd love to log in and see if i was right or if there are only like 3 people on at any given time, haha. Which might be the case...

My 14 cents.

Oiwon likes this.
  5. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Yeah I definitely can relate to a lot of those cons and they made me Lol.
    My gut says it would NOT be a super crowded thing but we could easily make other channels to accommodate that type of thing.
    We definitely wouldn't want people hogging the general voice channel for group/guild stuff. But if they were the only ones on it i don't think it would really matter.
    I think of it as more of an option for those that want it or want to interact in a different way. Kinda bring people together.
    Thanks for the input Khorp, sounds like Mumble may be the way to go if we can find a reliable host.. :)

6. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

We had a Vent host way back in early alpha. No one used it and it was limited to 20 users.
    I also have an interest in some form of server voice chat. So this idea is not a dead end :)

Oiwon likes this.
  7. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Testing

Client here:
    http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

Please connect to: planeofmischief.com OR 66.223.129.152
    pw: takp

Speedz and all server admins/devs will have admin rights.

Separate sub-channels for each guild will have their own admins.

I'll be available for adminning/registration/permissions setup Friday ~5PM PST. For now it's open to everybody. (assuming I got the port forwarding/firewall stuff right.)

Verdent, Zacharg, Suriinya and 2 others like this.
  8. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Shibby!

This is why you're The Server Mascot!

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

you beautiful bastard

Khorpus and Oiwon like this.
  10. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

You're getting a killer rate of return.

Awesome Shortok. Will be great for cross guild activities.

Oiwon likes this.
  11. Khorpus

Tested, got to chat with a couple of gentlemen for a bit. Works great! Well done. Hope to see a few more on.

Oiwon likes this.
  12. Thrakak

Thrakak New Member

Anyone around in mumble to help? :)

13. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Gonna bring this back up Shorty?

14. Thrakak

Thrakak New Member

If you ever in mumble, look for Stereogre! That is the man to get things done with!. :)

15. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Stereo and I are RL friends, i imagine he will be off EQ for a week or two. Other people in mumble like to do stuff as well though.

16. Thrakak

Thrakak New Member

Well I wished more people invited strangers, I couldn't seem to find a group so I only grouped with rl friends. I'd be on 10-12 hrs daily with little to do other than grind solo.

I really was looking forward to raiding and was grinding to get of lvl to join any raiding guilds. I had issues posting an app on destiny's Web page and their recruiting officer was on vacation for a week so I gave up on that. :(

I didn't have much luck on takp it seems. The people are great on the server. It's like classic eq for sure, very few douchebags but there are some no doubt. I've been checking in on takp weekly I am hoping the population grows and people start grouping more.

17. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

It can definitely be difficult to group on the server, even more so without a guild.
    Having said that, Neea (Destiny's recruiting officer) has been back from vacation for a couple of weeks now.

18. Secrets

Secrets Well-Known Member

mumble.takproject.net:9215 is the new address.

Thrakak likes this.
  19. Aerili

Aerili Member

I get a ton of feedback and can't seem to eliminate it. Didn't have the same problem when using Teamspeak.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  20. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Have to get into settings and turn down mic sensitivity, also enable push to talk.

21. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Mine is fixed again. There was a power outage when they swapped out my meter and my server was on dhcp and switched addresses when it rebooted. Made a DHCP reservation for that since it got upset when I tried to set it in Windows. Moved server to the backup side of the UPS.

Sorry I didn't notice for so long. Fallout 4.

If we stick with the new one, mine can just serve as a backup. Amazon EC2 (what typefrag is using) certainly has better uptime than I do.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  22. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Ohhhh where to mumble where to mumble..

23. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

Totally understand. Fallout 4 is amazing.

24. Khorpus

I've been into Legacy of the Void but i'm excited to try FO4 as well.

25. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

So the mumble still works it just has a different address.

address: takproject.typefrag.com
    port: 9215
    pass: takp