Retro pc for takproject

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drelk001, Aug 24, 2015.

1. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

So, you can play TAKproject with the old UI?
    cool, PoP came out in late 2002.... cool....

So I was thinking, what if I build a retro pc from 1999-2003 era? would be fun, wanted to know what kind parts you guys should think I should get

IIRC Falcon northwest used to be GREAT, I contacted them to see what my options were for a retro gaming PC.

2. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

Will be going with Windows 2000 foh shoe!

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You'd be better off spending your money on a mac mini. Playing EQMac on a PC sucks pretty hard IMO.

4. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

You could use modern components and just use an old OS. The only concern would be drivers but I think Win2k should handle most stuff. I think modern CPU's would be fine because they don't need a driver anyway, so you could get a really fast one and yet energy efficient. I am still using an i5 2500k sandy bridge processor I bought about 6 years ago and it is so great. I have it overclocked to 4.7ghz and it runs cool and really fast. You could also maybe even have a SSD, retro is nice but nobody wants long load times eh? You would miss TRIM support but they apparently still work fine on Win2k. If you wanted it to 'look' retro, you could probably find old school cases and stuff on ebay. p.s. I ran the game on my modern PC and it seems to run great. I kinda miss not having a more modern client, but it seems to run fine. I think I had some issues I needed to sort out (like having to limit the frame rate or the mouse is weird), but I spent an hour or two on my first night and then it was smooth sailing. I'm on Win7 64bit with modern gear, SSD, etc. Don't have a mac though so can't compare, don't know what I'm missing. I only picked this server because of the ruleset.

Khorpus likes this.
  5. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

I may just go with OS X Panther because I am not sure how this game will run on Windows2K.

I have been considering just using a virtual system but my computer SUCKS lol I use win7 on it currently.

6. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

What kinda issues do people get using a PC for this?

7. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

I dont have a good computer :p. its all good though. ill figure something out, I want to have a computer similar to what people had in 2002 when PoP came out.
    according to http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PC/everquestplanes/
    System: PII 400 or equivalent
    RAM:256 MB RAM
    CD-ROM: 4X CD-ROM
    Video Memory: 16 MB VRAM
    Hard Drive Space: 450 MB
    Mouse: Yes
    DirectX: DirectX v8.1

Recommended System Requirements:
    System: PIII 800 or equivalent
    RAM: 512 MB RAM
    CD-ROM: 6X CD-ROM
    Hard Drive Space: 1500 MB

are the system requirements for PoP

8. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Playing on a PC is fine, just need to figure out a window/client switching solution that works for you. Most of the devs are on PCs here. I am not sure what issues Lenas has run into.

Khorpus likes this.
  9. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

I am not worried about PC issues, I am worried about Win2K issues (being an old OS)

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Multiple install directories are recommended, window switching sucks compared to OS X (just today someone posted about hating the alt/tab in windows with EQW) and mouse look is screwed unless you cap your FPS. That's what sucks about playing on PC. Not to mention random memory errors that seemingly only plague our Windows brethren.

I don't see how it's debatable, the native mac client is superior to the hacked PC client.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  11. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

hence, why I want to run on a mac OS now, I am rolling MacOSX10.2

12. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

We (Altaira and I) have been playing on Linux without any problems with window switching or fps :D. But I have no problems on my windows client at all either so I'm not sure what the big fuss is, i'm not sure how it's that much better, mine runs pretty flawless. All of the 3 problems or so you mentioned can be remedied and I'm not sure what you're talking about with the memory "plague". Either way, no sense in wasting money on buying Macs for us just to play on TAKP when it's pretty streamlined on PC now with a few simple fixes. /shrug (Plus we'd have to learn that OS, ugh :p) My three cents.

13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Having played many old games on modern systems, most of what you mention is par for the course for those as well. Any old client/game engine requires some settings tweaking. The EQW issue is the only thing that may not be acceptable, IMO. It would be nice if someone coded a replacement, but there are 3rd party apps to switch your toons. And I've never run into the memory errors you mention.

I do find it odd that people complain about stuff like this when discussing it within the EMU community, especially when there are fixes/workarounds. I'll gladly apply these minor tweaks than need a whole separate computer that will only play one game and otherwise collect dust and space.

Khorpus likes this.
  14. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Window switching is fine, there are lots of other solutions then using Alt-tab. FPS limitation is not a huge issue, you can limit to 60fps and not notice anything. Yeah there are crashes, and stuck keys sometimes. My client/computer is pretty stable. There are some D/C's and crashes but it doesn't seem to be more then anyone on the Mac Client.

15. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I hope you aren't insinuating that I'm the one complaining. The PC client has legitimate drawbacks compared to the native Mac client and pointing that out is not a complaint. The issues with playing TAKP on a PC have nothing to do with your version of Windows and everything to do with the fact that you're running hacked client that was never meant to exist.

I'd gladly buy a tiny little box for $499 that can run either operating system. The OP was already talking about buying a custom rig from Falcon Northwest (minimum $1,500?) and you think the Mac Mini is a waste?

16. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I used a mac mini to play and dev on the server. Works great for me. =D

Lenas likes this.
  17. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Whether it was meant to exist or not is irrelevant. With that logic nothing should work correctly at all because TAK 'wasn't meant to exist'. The client hasn't been tweaked enough yet, that's all. There were a few items that were originally overlooked and those individuals have moved onto other projects. I'm sure over the next year someone will take up that mantle as TAK becomes more popular. The TAK team currently doesn't have the time to deal with items that already have easily executed workarounds.

18. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Your assumption that the old client can be further modified is misplaced. In fact, I don't believe clients can be modified at all.

19. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

GUYS!lol
    I am not worried about problems anymore, the game was meant to be played on mac, therefor I will be playing on mac :p

I just want to know what kind of parts I should get

I also recently read that if you use mac software on normal hardware it could damage it, whats up with that?
    (I have always been a windows user so I know little to nothing about mac)

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Mac software wont damage anything, but you need very specific hardware for it to run at all. This is because Apple is very specific about what parts they use and don't offer drivers for anything else.

21. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

22. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

Thanks Sturmm
    maybe I could just buy an old mac computer :p

23. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

ill get a G4 cube :p

24. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I think you need intel, ppc wont work with this client, right?

25. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I don't believe a PPC Mac support our client, not yet anyway. only Intel Mac

26. Khorpus

Legitimate, but not significant. Especially not significant enough to mention like it shouldn't be considered in his build. Like i said, it runs flawlessly on my PC. So I'm not sure why you'd keep trashing on it or suggesting against it. Wasn't meant to exist? Really? Why all the hate on the PC client? All it needs is a couple of tweaks/fixes and it works just as good as the mac client with the extreme up side that you don't have to own a Mac.

27. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Well, that's kind of a subjective call and in my opinion playing with this client in Windows sucks. Have you played on both platforms? You are free to have your own opinion and there's no reason drelk001 should listen only to me.

If the Underfoot client or something more recent than what we currently have were supported, I'd be playing in Windows.

Honestly, what's the downside of a $499 all-in-one computer that can run both OSX and Windows 10?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  28. drelk001

drelk001 New Member

well, I found on old PC I used to play EQ with =D

has 512MB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ lol

kinda crappy I know but it will work =D

29. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I ran one of these before the hacked PC client came out. +1 if you want to run the client natively. Its no different than running Windows on a Mac with bootcamp. If you have an Intel CPU, its cake.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  30. Khorpus

Not really anything actually, that wasn't the issue i had in mind. I didn't mean to sound harsh though, if you can get the all-in-one for five bills and have it dual boot both OS's that's a pretty legit plan I guess as long as the hardware is decent so TAKP and web browsing isn't the only thing you can do on it, hehe. Is the hardware decent? I'd like to take a look at the model you're referring to. I doubt I'll ever get it because i love building PCs and we already have machines but i'm still intrigued. I love the hackintosh idea as well because you could dual-boot both os's as well, though i've heard it's very complicated if you don't have the exact right hardware because of drivers and whatnot. It looks like Drelk figured out what he wanted to do regardless, haha. Sounds like a classic. Too bad computers don't age like cars do.