Question regarding rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silence, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Silence

Silence New Member

Hi, I'm a new player to the server. The rules don't necessarily specify if sending a keystroke to a window constitutes as automation. For instance, are we allowed to assist or cast a spell with a hotkey?

2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Like how?

With a 3rd party program, to send key strokes to a non-active window?

Rules are pretty clear. You add addition functionality with 3rd party programs, that dont exist. Thats bannable.

Example: doing something on ur tank, that causes ur cleric to cast a heal? Bannable.

If people are doing it, and others not reporting it? Double scumbag alert then. It would be very disappointing if people are cheating and ignoring it. It used to be very common to report cheaters.

H

Linkamus likes this.
  3. Silence

Silence New Member

I appreciate the clarification. I'd actually argue the rules are extremely vague. It talks about automation, but it doesn't say what type of automation. Is sending the "F" key to another window "automation"? Or does that refer to, say, assisting every ten seconds automatically?

4. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Both.

lurari likes this.
  5. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

You trying to rule lawyer this?

Seriously?

6. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Level 1 player was asking in alliance about this earlier today. I assume answering in the negative means they may not play here.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    lurari likes this.
  7. Silence

Silence New Member

What? No. I'm new and I was trying to understand how to interpret the rules. Because as different individuals, we have different interpretations -- we don't all exist in your mindset. I'm sorry for wanting to respect the rules.

That was me asking, and the general consensus was mass confusion. I was actually told it was okay. Once again blatantly confirming that I wasn't the only one confused. Thanks? I guess.

Slayzz likes this.
  8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Don't worry about haynar he likes to be a dick.

Don't send commands to non active winders

Slayzz likes this.
  9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Imagine you were playing a single character and the only application running on your computer is EverQuest.

In this scenario, any macro you are able to make in game or combination of keystrokes you perform manually with your keyboard and mouse is legit.

For example a hotkey like:

/pause 5, /stand
    /pause 5, /assist tank
    /pause 35, /cast Tashan
    /pause 60, /cast Slow
    /book

Making and using a hotkey like this is fully acceptable.

However using a 3rd party program to press this hotkey while the client is in the background of your PC (I.E. Not the primary focus) would not be allowed.

You can however ALT Tab, hit this hotkey and then ALT Tab back to another character while this hotkey is running through its course of actions.

Linkamus and Videri-Tala like this.
  10. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Sending a key anywhere without having actually pressed it yourself is 'automation'. The only legit deal is the hotkeynet thingy to front windows when you are boxing. Fronting a window is not the same thing as 'sending a keystroke'. The only keystrokes you are allowed to send are from your fingers into the client with focus, and they have to be the same ones you are typing. Moving the mouse around and clicks have to be similarly handled; if you are not directly doing it yourself into the window with focus it's bad.
    The rules usually only seem vague if someone is trying to rule-lawyer their way around them. Not saying you were doing that, just mentioning why Haynar reacted the way he did. The basic concept of 'not cheating using 3rd party tools' and 'no automation' is pretty self-explanatory...if you aren't typing it into the active window, it's cheating.

11. lurari

lurari People Like Me

I'll take some responsibility for this.

I assume this poster is the same level 1 who asked in alliance if ISBoxer was permitted. Since ISBoxer replicates the functionality he's talking about, and SOE gave its blessing for ISBoxer and this exact purpose (i.e., this is normal, expected, and officially endorsed behavior on EQ) I assumed it was ok here.

I don't play on PC and as far as I'm aware, no such software exists on Macs so I've never explored its use here. But since sending 'F' key to all 3 clients is permitted on Live, I assumed it was OK here. Seems I was mistaken and mislead the poster. I also don't understand nor have ever explored the popular "HotkeyNet" and other softwares that have been made available on this forum, which I incorrectly assumed were for replicating a similar functionality to our old client.

Apologies on my part. Mea culpa.

12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

What Soe permits has nothing to do with rules here. We are seperate entities and our rules are clear as far as automating.

And yes. I saw the advice given in game.

And I saw it discussed that others are doing it too. So going to start looking for them.

H

Linkamus likes this.
  13. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Is this the right thread to request implementation of /autoinventory? Please, k, thanks.

pharmakos likes this.
  14. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Yup, no disagreement. Just wanted to say sorry for giving out bad advice and adding to OP's confusion.

15. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Seconded, time constraints allowing.

16. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

It isn't. There's a suggestions forum.

lurari likes this.
  17. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Is this the right place to ask when the server is coming back up? ;p

Ablazze likes this.
  18. phresh2k3