Question about faction hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fadetree, May 14, 2018.

1. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

So, I'm in the process of factioning my dru +cov. It's gone a lot slower than on my main or my chanter, and looking back at her logs she hardly ever gets the faction hits. I recall in the old days people degrouping to avoid certain faction hits, so I thought she would just automatically get them from the group. Not so, if she just sits there she gets no faction hits. Ok, that makes sense. So I tried her throwing thorns on me as MT. No faction. Then I tried having her heal me. No faction. Then I tried having her nuke the mob once, and finally that produced a faction hit. Is that working as intended, or is something wrong with my druid or my logging or something? Maybe I just don't remember how it works correctly.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

You must be on the hatelist of a mob to receive a faction hit when the mob dies.

A few ways to do this:

• Initially body/proxy aggro the mob (run past it when it is idle)
    • Hard aggro the mob (Melee, pet attack, or cast a detrimental spell on it)
    • Succeed a witness check (heal someone or buff someone who is on the hate list and then have a random roll succeed placing you on the hatelist)

The issue you're likely having comes down to witness checks. Whenever you heal or Buff a player in combat a roll is performed to determine if the mob "witnesses" you helping someone. If the roll succeeds they noticed you helping and you generate hate based on your action (which puts you on the hatelist).

The most reliable way to generate faction hits on a Druid is either with a pet (charming wolves lets you plow through mobs but also is a glass canon and will eat a low level undergeared druid on charm breaks), or cast a level 1 Nuke on every mob.

You can cast or use a White Ceramic Band (clicky level 1 Nuke) for this purpose.

3. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

I always set my casters to assist with /ass on if I'm doing faction work. That or cast a low mana, fast cast, small aggro debuff/nuke.

4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

ceramic band clickys is the easiest/preferred option to tag, have to hit each mob, can /assist for target and click it from inventory
    if you have a low mana low dmg PBAE detrimental spell that works too
    buffing/healing produces faction but it may take a few casts, could use a clicky item like Shield of the Immaculate (inventory clickable 1 sec cast from inventory by anyone)
    alternatively, could swing and hit each mob with melee

5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Ok, thanks for the info. Surprised healing doesn't add you to hatelist. So I can heal all day long 'out of sight' and no aggro?

6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

no you cannot, it's a witness check as Darchon explained

7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Well, yeah, but that's what I meant by 'out of sight'. On re-reading it, I can see that he implies it's *only* the roll that determines if the heal gets 'noticed'...? That seems kind of an odd way to do things, but ok. Once you are on hatelist, then it doesn't matter after that. I will test some more with heals, casting 3 or 4 should get her noticed I would think.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Make an assist button for your druid that casts a lvl 1 nuke / sits and hit it for each mob.

9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Basically every heal you cast rolls a dice.

If Roll = 0-50, you add 0 Hate.
    If Roll = 51-100, you add 100 Hate.

The numbers of the roll and Hate values are purely for demonstration.

An academic question that I'm not sure of the answer to, is whether the witness check is performed per heal or per mob. IE do you get added to the hatelist of all 10 skeletons aggroed on your tank or do you only get aggro on 5 of them because the roll succeeded and 5 because the roll failed.

10. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, so I did a little run. Out of 5 1-shot per mob heals, 2 got noticed. Out of 5 2 shot per mob heals, all got noticed. Shrug, sample size way too low to draw conclusions, but its interesting to me how long I've been playing and I never knew that. Normally don't play healers, but still. Thanks for the info.

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

U want faction. Nuke, pet or be puller.

12. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I usually AE snare on my druid for faction after agro is built up a bit. Even if it resists, you'll still get a faction hit.

Last edited: May 15, 2018