Ppc: help needed from mac osx devs.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secrets, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Secrets

Secrets Well-Known Member

Looking for someone familiar with AppleScript and AppleEvents in PPC/OSX.

If you have experience with this, post here so I can see a show of hands. I'd really love to get the PPC client working once again but I need to know how to pass AppleEvents from the system to the "EverQuest" application.

Those familiar with Mach-O binaries would help exceptionally.

The functions in question are "LaunchApplication", "AECreateDesc", "AECreateAppleEvent", and "AEDisposePointer", etc. I need a way to launch an application from the filesystem and pass two args (PSID and GHAD) as apple events.

Pelase contact me if you have any information about this. Thanks!

Elrontaur, Tollen and Oiwon like this.
  2. Tollen

Tollen Member

I have my old ppc mac still waiting for something like this to happen, if you need help testing let me know.

sorry I don't have the know how you are looking for :(

3. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I can be a tester if you get this client running. I've got a G3 iMac that I've maxed out on ram and HD space. It's been a while since I booted it up but it's running OS9... had Panther on it at one point but it did not run well. Did you have a target OS range for this?

4. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Posting here to give this post visibility. I know for a fact that there are a few programmers on the server who have been programming Macs long enough to remember how to program for PPC. I'm hoping one of them sees this post and responds.

At one point Speedz and I looked into locating the PSID and GHAD files on one of my ancient hard drives, but I wasn't able to figure out how to read in the Mac OS X drive format journal. I suppose I can take a hex editor to the old hard disk, but that would be a gruesomely arduous venture.

I'm thinking a decompile approach to the client might yield better results faster.

5. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

The game requires Mac OS X minimum. 10.2 was a reasonable stable release for G3/G4/G5.

6. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I barely had Panther running on that machine... I can try again though. Sadly I don't have any Jaguar disks :(

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

We currently cannot get ppc to connect. We need help from someone who knows osx better.

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

You may need to contact Faite or Zamiel.

If it is worth opening up that Pandora's box....

9. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Also I hope ppc is a low priority since it would only be a "for show" project since only 3 people may dig out their old eMacs

10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Improving netcode has been my priority lately. To minimize LDs and crashing while zoning.

H

Khorpus, Neealana, Luddwig and 2 others like this.
  11. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

*cheer*

12. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Yes PPC is not a priority at all.
    It merely is a side project when any of us need a break from normal operations.

I would think the target OS would be 10.4? tho honestly there isn't a whole lot of difference if any on how the script events were handled from 10.0 to 10.5.0 if I recall correct.