Non-boxing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaimoto, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kaimoto

Kaimoto New Member

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone on here plays just a single toon and groups up with other players? I want to play this game again, but what i loved about EQ was grouping. I hate boxing so I'm not going to do it. But if everyone else is on this server just boxing, I'll find little point to continue playing.

Thanks!

2. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

If you don't mind playing with people that are boxing there shouldn't be much issue. So far I have found everyone willing to group together, so if you bring a single toon a 3-boxer is likely to invite you to join them. There may be some exceptions but if you're both getting xp chances are they'll group. The real concern is that with a lower population you are likely to wait around a bit before finding a group, so a class that can also solo when necessary would be a good choice.

One thing to note: a boxer likely has a lot on their plate, so try to contribute effectively and avoid asking for things like buffs that may not be necessary for you. Not that you shouldn't ask for any buffs (e.g. casters still need C), just keep in mind that your pace isn't necessarily the pace they're running at.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

There are a few people who stand out in my mind. They play cleric/rogue and are very proactive in getting groups. Sending tells to people, showing up in camp. Very persistent. They are also both really chill dudes who are fun to talk to know how to play their class well. It is 100% possible. Class is going to be important, tons of tanks on the server right now along with druids and shms, so if you choose any of those classes it will be harder. Understand though this isn't p99, population is quite a bit smaller.

4. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

Single boxers playing healers and pullers will get the most groups or some specialty class depending on the zone.

I know when I am boxing and a puller asks to join up I am like OMFG YES JOIN YES, same with a healer. I do also invite DPS if there is an open space.

You will probably have to go and seek out said groups and not just hang out in PoK waiting for them to ask you.

5. echofinder

echofinder Member

A toon that can get to dungeon camps deeper in zones without assistance is helpful as well.

Maybe that would be a bard or roque.

Bard sticks out as a nice option.

I think most folks are not all about boxing but the stars really need to align to log in at the same time as someone else where you can find a camp crawl in and get some Killen in before someone's playtime runs out.

Most fun I have had is where folks just keep joining the group and we start dropping toons to play with real folks!

6. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I am a weakling and almost will never say no to someone asking for a spot. However, no one plays my time so if you play m-f 7am-10am cst hit me up ;)

7. souske

souske Well-Known Member

If the AK exp code is in, its actually more beneficial to have a 4th party member than 3 as far as exp is concerned. Ill always invite a 4th person to the group if they want in.

8. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

People are generally open to grouping with people they don't know with a couple caveats. For most exp groups, people are generally pretty open to expanding the group. When I was leveling up, I grouped a fair amount (usually with another 3-boxer).

If you are doing a camp for a certain item or spawn, it gets trickier. If you don't know the person well, it can be awkward explaining to them that you have been at the spot for an hour already and, accordingly, reserve the right to claim the drop you were after.

Also, if I am power-leveling a toon, I want to make sure I know the person well if I am going to group with them. It took me a while to get my cleric and mage to 50. If you invite someone in to your PL session, you are slowing the experience gain of the PL'd toon significantly. Now, if you have all the time in the world to play (and like exp'ing), that isn't a big deal. If you are like me and dread exp groups, that is a big deal.

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

How about explaing to someone who joins, that you have been camping something for 2 hrs a day, for two weeks. They join, item drops 15 min later? Granted, I would let them roll too if that was the situation. But I would not be happy if they won. But what else do I have to do with my time?

H

10. shortok

shortok People Like Me

I got to 45 without boxing as a cleric! Networking. And a lot of begging.