New to the server and trying to figure out some things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Finelar01, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Finelar01

Finelar01 New Member

Hi All! I have played p99 and live on/off for a long, long time. Definitely not a veteran player by any means, highest chars on p99 is mid 50s and on live I have some that are mid 80s I think. I love p99 but its super hard mode and I get frustrated with it and quit for several months/years and then pick it back up again. I love the idea of being able to box and I just need a little help/advice on getting started! 1- Is /melody a thing for bards? If it is I think id definitely want a bard in my little box group. 2- Im thinking enc/clr/bst or mage or bard/dru or shm/pal, what do you think of these combos? Im not trying to min/max but I do want to have a competent trio that can take down most content, I was thinking I could charm with the enc and cleric for heals and bst or mage for pet/dps or with the bard/dru or shm/ and pal combo I would have a real tank and heals from the dru or shm with spot heals from the pal. Finally, are there any easy gear quests I should know about or 1-20 zones that are good to check out? I usually go FoB/Kurns route but am definitely open to whatever. Im also not opposed to necro, I love the class but I remember them sucking ass in PoP era (I think). Finally, what is the server population like? Im much more of a solo player but I dont like dead servers as I feel like im just playing a single player game. I definitely like to at least see people occasionally and be able to interact with chat. Thank you for any input!

2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Melody is not a thing. Rangers cannot autofire either.

3. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Most powerful trio is charming trio, since charmed pets are stronger than average non raid geared plate tank, for which takes time and plat. Of charming trios, for being able to get most of content, seems like most popular combinations are: pal-enc-dru or sk-enc-clr. Any of these two combinations should be a good one.

But, since plate tanks are expensive and they need good gear you could also go middle route, compromise and start enc-mag-dru. Magician has Malo that helps with charm breaks and their duration, pet can at early levels say bellow 65? act as tank and keep mob occupied while you are re-charming. Once your trio hits 65, you have best power level duo dru-enc and you can start PL say pal to later replace mag with pal. or any other character for that matter. You will eventually start building small army anyway, :D so having best PL duo is always a plus.

Fast XP (one of the routes) is FoB->Kurns->Paludial->Basement in HHK, then Sceptres in Queynos Catacombes. Sometime around 35 to 40 you can go after Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains. Lesser XP but good plat.

Although, having trio, you will not struggle no matter which combination you will choose. (but yes, some combinations are easier) You will be so much more powerful that playing just one character.

For non charming trios, bst-dru-xxx is a good combination. Bst, can later become pretty decent tank, with some AA's and gear. For example, bst-mag-dru is good aggro-kitting combination, that will carry you all the way into 65 and many AA's without needing any gear for BST.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  4. Inacht

Inacht People Like Me

Last things first: The server is very top-heavy. Most people who play here consistently have chars that are 65 and elemental if not time keyed. If you want to reliably group you have to advertise in alliance. Decide where you are going and say you are LFM, maybe make leveling friends. Don't expect many people to be cruising around low level zones that you can group with by happenstance. High level players will MGB periodically at the Dark Bank which will provide you with a big leg up on xping.

Easy and useful gear that springs to mind - The fine cut diamond mask in PoK: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2203 all you need for this is to bring a sarnak blood (check pok vendors) to the temple of droga and turn it in to an npc (use invis to get to the npc). and the Fine Antique Ring: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2193 - which requires a few bits and bobs you may be able to vendor dive for, farm up yourself or purchase.

All of your trio's would work perfectly fine since you have an enchanter to charm, allowing you to do most trioable content as your gear improves. Its really up to you how to play, so I'd suggest picking classes you enjoy. You can always make some alts if you fall out of love with something.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  5. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Plenty of that in alliance channel