New Mac OS.. Fix planned? Even possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slayzz, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Just curious if there is a fix or workaround planned for the compatibility issue between the new Mac OS and TAKP. Just wondering if I will ever be able to update my computers OS again ha. Just curious and either way appreciative for all the devs do. Thanks!

2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

There is nothing we can do with mac compatibility in new OS. We have no control on apple dropping 32-bit app support. And mac client is a 32-bit app that is not supported.

Even the hacks we so for PC client, if windows dropped 32 bit app support, we would be stuck waiting for a 3rd party to add some sort of ability to run 32 bit apps.

Maybe something will be put out there for mac. But short of running a virtual machine, or a different boot partition, there are not any options.

There is no way to remake a 32bit app, without recompiling. Which we dont have those abilities.

Slayzz likes this.
  3. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Gotta secure a cheap used vintage machine. Mac minis are dirt cheap. Not ideal .

4. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Hopefully Mac gets enough grief about taking out 32bit or yea like Haynar says someone makes something. Right now it’s no biggy but several years down the road? I would imagine it ain’t going to fly having to use old OS.

5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I think Apple goofed big-time on this decision, and will probably have to back peddle at some point in future

6. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Yes. They goofed. But they tend to not backpedal.

And older mac os in a VM with parallels. That sounds the way to go.

Choir and Cadsuane like this.
  7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I can see them implementing some type of limited app virtualization vs parallels which is a whole OS virtualization.

8. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Thanks Haynar for the explanation. I don't know how computers work, but that makes sense that its not even something you guys have control over. Thanks again, and like the others said, maybe apple will create some fix on their end.

9. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I might switch to booting my 3 boxes from external drives with older OS. A huge PITA to do every time I want to 3 box, but once they jettison support for Mojave I won't have much choice.

This move by Apple is a nightmare for me, I have tons of 32 bit programs running on my computers. Many of those programs don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of ever being upgraded, much like our client. They support old MIDI hardware, older audio peripherals etc...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019