Lets keep our Flames and Rants clean

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Theus, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Theus

Theus Well-Known Member

Speedz or whoever is in change of making sure threads do not digress into something worse,

Please, break off the real life political statements into a new thread and place that thread in Off Topic. At least the LOH being Youhave and training Malignant debate is about our game. Guns, immigration and race riots do not have a thing to do with our game and it is insulting to our Accusations and Rebuttals thread to include real life political posts in that thread. One thing I would like you all to know about me is I passionately despise politics and I strive very hard to be non-political. I have no desire to censor these posts. People have a right to post about these issues if they wish, but these posts do not involve our game and for that reason they should be placed in Off Topic.

Thank you,

2. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

3. iance

iance New Member

I couldn't care less if it was in it's own thread, personally. But the only real juicy thread in RNF got derailed by this, so I agree with splitting it up, BUT it shouldn't be in Off Topic either because of the language and posting style used in the thread (definitely RNF material)

4. Speedz

There we go :)

5. iance

iance New Member

6. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

When I saw the title of this post I was like "clean RnF - the fuck" but when I read theus' point its spot on. I think the phrasing should be "lets keep RnF on the topic of everquest". Just a gnome and his 2 cents, which to the rest of you is about a million plat. (Each gnome cent is 500k)

7. iance

iance New Member

I don't even know if a RNF forum is necessary, tbh with you.

The shards of dalaya forums, for example, have a strict no drama and flaming policy. The forum might not be as fun for basementdwelling forumquesters, but f those guys IMO. It has nothing to do with the game, and there is no real reason to start negative crap in offtopic, or any other part of the forums, for that matter.

I can MAYBE see the merit of having a place to call each other out for negative ingame stuff, training, behing a douche about camps, etc., I do think this stuff is also better handled in a private fashion.

This is my personal opinion on the matter. But ask yourself, besides being entertained at work, does the P99 RNF forum add anything to the community? Did the flames forum on the EQMac Forums? I think adapting a zero tolerance stance for forum shenanigans goes a long way in stabilizing the community.

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

How did you know Faults is a basemen dwelling forumquester?

9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Shit he's right behind me! RnF is good, it gives people a badly needed release. I do believe it adds to the community to have an area to voice frustration in a game that contains much of it. I am firmly against most forms of control though so...

10. iance

iance New Member

When I started playing on p99 I had the same view on it as you. But seeing how that forum over there has negatively influenced P99 I have slowly changed my mind on it.

Similar to P99s stance to keep as many players playing on the game, subsequently being too lenient on bans, suspensions and such. I think you lose as many people as you gain/keep with this kind of stance, and the quality of the people who do stay goes downhill.

I feel the same way about forums. Many people don't even bother to be a part of the P99 forum community because of the people who frequent it, and the shit that is common place there. If you foster this kind of trolling/whining behaviour, it will make ''good'' people think twice about contributing/visting the forums.

in the end its all about setting good rules, and enforcing them with an iron fist.

11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I was part of Fippy Darkpaw - a cesspool like p99 only with far less enforcement in game. My feeling was that RnF gave people a place to voice discontent, make accusations and such that kept the regular boards clean - without much work on the part of the mods. In game people are going to be whatever they are. I still feel as if RnF is important, and it helps to have it for a community like this. In a smaller setting such as within a guild, I believe it to be a bad place because you have to work together but outside of a small group like that I think its worthwhile. Especially if we can move past whatever happened on AK. Also stop standing behind me - creeper.

12. Theus

Theus Well-Known Member

Thank you Speedz!

13. Circe

Circe New Member

I've always thought the existence of a Rants forum does far more harm than good. People clearly post there because they're bored, or because they like the sound of their own voice, not because they "need to let off steam".

Being required to act like a reasonable adult human being -- i.e. to pause for a moment before opening one's mouth, and in that pause to take into account the sensibilities of other people -- strikes me as a plus. I've never quite grasped why it's a good thing to suspend that principle in one particular area of the server environment.

When someone has contentious issues which they think need to be raised, isn't it better if they have to do so in a moderated environment? -- i.e. reasonably coherently and politely? It seems to me that you're much more likely to reach a solution that way.

And if someone just feels the need to fling insults around, or constantly shout about nothing in particular in the most offensive language available because they have a pathological need to be the centre of attention (Lron-style), isn't there something to be said for the theory that those things shouldn't actually be allowed, in precisely the same way that those of us who have kids didn't allow them to stand in the middle of a crowded space and scream when they they were toddlers?

I know I'll never win this argument. But let me at least say that the inevitable rebuttal -- "If you don't like the Rants forum, don't read it" -- isn't really adequate. The crap seeps out, one way or another.

14. Lyrad

Lyrad Member

15. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

/agree Circe

16. Manstache

Manstache Active Member

Sorry for being a bad poster y'all. I'll tone it down.

17. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I like this community and all, but you guys are the biggest forum Nazis I've ever seen.

The thread went very, very off-topic and should have been split, but banning political threads is a bit out-there.

18. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

Agree 100%

[​IMG]

19. Speedz

I will never be able to agree with everyone. I will never make everyone happy.
    The joys of being an admin/gm.
    But I have noticed as well that if there isn't a singular spot to be annoying on the forums it usually bleeds into the game if there is no outlet.

The topic has gotten close to me shutting it down.
    I do monitor when I can and will take care of things when either I find it too much or if I get enough complaints.
    As you see I do respond to requests and complaints if I find them to be reasonable.
    It would be a different story if there wasn't anyone on staff that cared at all and never monitored.
    But you have an active staff here. I have already gave one person a time out for things I found annoying lol.

As far as public vs private ways of handling things. Yes there is a time and place for both.
    If the situation prompts it I take it private.
    But the shame forum was so that people do see without much effort that things get handled.
    As well as a legitimate means for people to collaborate and help police the community as well.
    We may have the tools to see what is going on. But we can't see the entire game at once 24/7.
    Also might be a deterrent for some to be not so friendly.

Just as the server is in development and is improving on it's code being in alpha, so is it's staff.
    We learn what works and what doesn't work for this community. Not all communities are the same.
    This is why the end of the rules say we can and will change them as we need to.

Best of all, we play too. We want it to be fun not only for you, but for us as well.

20. iance

iance New Member

It is a good thing that there is at least a discussion about what people 'expect' from an RNF forum. It is just important to remember that the term ''anything goes'' usually doesn't apply in a real world setting as the threshold for shenanigans is different with every single person.

21. Speedz

Very true. There are things I won't tolerate even in there.
    It could get there far too easily with some of those posts.
    I know I have a high threshold for what offends me personally.
    But my tolerance for what harms another is lower.
    Empathy and compassion. This world could use alot more of it.

22. iance

iance New Member

I can play ball :) just posted in RNF. But I didn't really get the satisfaction that I had expected, so I guess I am going to keep contributing positive things to the forums instead :D

23. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

There has to be some limits in this day and age, people getting doxxed etc. Some of the younger users on other forums can be quite nasty. But having somewhere to air grievances and having the result discussions is important to community health and decision making. As long as people are mostly respectful its important to have that outlet. Since there isn't one within game due to no PVP. Although yeah PvP PoK does sound hilarious. It was frustrating to see the over moderation over on PEQ:TGC forums at times. Before people could have their say a lot of the time the post is just gone. Maybe later in the server history when everything has been discussed a million times that may work, especially since it is accompanied with the golden rule, don't be a dick. I suspect a new server will have some frictions, that will need to have discussions to resolve them. As long as they are somewhat mature, I would hate to see them nuked. If we can't have rants and flames proper, there needs to be at least something.