Lagging / LD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khorpus, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

Soo Altaira and I have had a blast so far, but for some reason I'm having issues with constant and crippling lag outs. We are both on PC clients, and it would appear that she is having far less problems than I. Almost always one character between zoning go LD and all too often in the middle of fights and whatnot. I've heard people in alliance chat mention things like port triggering or port forwarding on the router, and also about running each toon off of a separate client to avoid this. The same people claim to not be having any problems at all. Can anyone verify any of this information to be a legitimate fix? Also if so does anyone have the ports that should be forwarded on hand? I'm about to try the separate clients even though it seems like it wouldn't do a thing imo since i did it for years on one client on the original AK server, but I have limited experience with these things. Thanks!

2. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

I too would like some advice on this as i cant stay online for more than a few minutes without some kinda disconnect. Also i rarely can successfully zone.

3. krenar

krenar New Member

also having problems with sow zones or LD's doesnt happen all the time sometimes i zone in 3-4 seconds.

i am 2 boxing on pc client.

running 2 seperate folders, i have portforwarded ports 9000, 7000-7500, 6000 and a few others i read here.

internet is 160mb/s cable and pc has 32gb of ram. so i cant see whats wrong!

4. hidden

hidden New Member

I'll add to this that I can't seem to actually play right now, though it wasn't as bad last night. My toons will lock up after a cast or two, after a few minutes in. They will still be in the game and I can see active chat - and I can move them around the game and mobs will even aggro on them, but they can't actually do anything like conning, casting, fighting, sitting, etc. It's a weird, purgatory-like LD. Lots of locked up toons and crashing to char screen or altogether. I 3-boxed on Alpha with the same setup and didn't have any problems.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We are doing a fix shortly......I am having your exact same issue. Some zones are having issues...and this seems to be a multi-layered issue so it may take a few fixes to get this resolved.

6. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

awesome. I cant seem to log in now. Just stays at the loading screen after entering world. Then crashes eventually after a lengthy wait.

7. hidden

hidden New Member

[Update, just kidding. Didn't really help in the end.] I deleted all of my UI files and my eqclient.ini file, as well as anything else under Library --> Application Support --> Everquest and that seems to have helped considerably.

8. Khorpus

Excellent. I was happy to see that it wasn't necessarily on my end, thanks for the prompt responses.

9. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I'm having the exact same issues as Hidden; after a few minutes I can't reply to tells or con a mob, nor fight a mob but it could hit me. Typically after a few minutes of this I go LD to character select screen, but the numbers up top don't usually reflect any sort of LD status.
    I know you guys are aware of these issues, just throwing my stuff out there as well. Appreciate everything you guys are doing!

10. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

I am testing the fixes on the dev server now to make sure that it builds and runs.
    So far so good. One thing I noticed on my play toon was i did a search in the UI folder in notepad++ (windows) for the word "Feedback"
    If your UI files have this in the file, not just the name of the file, remove that line. (not just the word, the entire line)

I will be rebooting the server shortly. Hope this helps or even better resolves some issues.

dev survived this: (3 full zone spawns all on aggro zone)

Attached Files:

11. krenar

krenar New Member

haha great picture that speedz!

12. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Confirmed, I've experienced the LD that disables interacting with the world. Typically happens to my melee toon while three boxing. Melee toon LDs can get aggro and move around but can't do anything besides move (including not being able to click on the zone out). The group breaks at that point, one of my toons gets booted from the group, the other toon gets frozen into the group and can't disband. At this point all my toons must relog in order to continue playing.

13. squinty

squinty New Member

Such a tease! ;)

14. Khorpus

Speedz could you be more specific as to what file or files we should edit and where they are located? I don't even have a folder titled "UI". I do have "uifiles" but there are lots of files in it and i'm not sure which one(s) I am to edit out the "Feedback" lines. Also for some reason quoting doesn't seem to work anymore for me :p.

15. Zeds

Zeds New Member

any update on this?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Still working on it.......we have mem leaks and narrowing them down is needle in a haystack. But we are making progress.

17. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Basically you want to do a search through all the xml files for "Feedback"
    It should be in the file called EQUI.xml and/or EQUI_Beta.xml

The line to remove looks like this:
    <Include>EQUI_FeedbackWnd.xml</Include>

You may also want the attached file as well.

Attached Files:

18. ansar

ansar New Member

The PowerOfTwo UI mod has two optional files for these windows. The feedback window is some kind of zone finder with locs or something. The bug report window is a timer window of some sort. I am not sure if that matters, but I do remember seeing those files were modded in the PowerOfTwo UI.

19. moonage

moonage New Member

I was running two characters today. one had zero connection issues all night, the second box was going LD roughly every 20-30 minutes or so, only difference I really could say was the one with no issues was rarely casting (self healing and buffing out of combat) and the other was constantly casting (DD during fights)

20. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

In my Contents/Resources/UIFiles/PO2 there was a file called EQUI_FeedbackWindow . ( No .xml at end: all the others have that, e.g. EQUI_AAWindow.xml )

In Alpha it had appeared to work ( gave location of POK books, etc )

Have deleted it for now, and will see if I can stay online more than a few minutes.

Mac 10.6.8

EDIT: Moved that line to trash. But in game, /feedback still " works". Still getting LD after just a few minutes on second toon.

21. echofinder

echofinder Member

Does using a UI that shows percents, hp's , resists and generally a whole lot of digits that always need to always need to be updated make this current problem worse?

I switched back to true defualt and it seemed better but the issues were still present.

22. moonage

moonage New Member

Tried downloading the PC client that Abacab may or may not have posted on another forum, copied a titanium default ui and replaced the bug report window with the earlier posted file. Thanks Abacab for perhaps or perhaps not posting that link someplace else.

Seems to have fixed it for me so far. (or it could have been ok and whatever code magic has been done fixed it...)

23. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

You take your chances using a non default UI with this beta code. Custom UIs all had their share of memory leaking issues, so the main way of insuring memory integrity in the game was to use the default UI or a very light weight UI designed for AK. I'm going to stick to the default UI till we're pretty much done with Beta cycle testing.

24. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

here is something strange that may be a clue about these LDs. since launch day i had been using NewUI=FALSE and i barely experienced any problems, aside from some strangeness in Innothule Swamp.

this morning, though, i found a copy of the original /uifiles/default/ folder, and i switched to NewUI=TRUE. now i'm experiencing a lot of the same LD symptoms that others have said they've been experiencing, including the dreaded perma-gray spell gems.

25. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer New Member

I wish I had the LD Lagging issues anything beats this god awful Stone classic UI :x

26. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

^ hit F10 and you can go to the transparent velious UI from the classic 640x480 stone UI

these new LD issues are annoying enough that i am going to try going back to the classic UI. being able to actually play but with a gimpy UI is better than having a nice UI but being unable to play IMO.

after this foot ball game ends, that is. hopefully it was the UI switch that did it and not some other issue that popped up overnight.

27. iance

iance New Member

It is worth mentioning that I am using poweroftwo ui on PC Client and probably have one of the most stable clients of all the people, even though I am playing from a shitty internet connection and I am in Europe. Just ask the people who group with me :)

To be honest, in my experience, the following are the biggest problems usually>

shitty internet connection (hard to verify), people on your network downloading or streaming HD content from the internet (kick your family off the internet to test)
    antivirus/antimalware/firewall software (Disable temporarily to test)
    router settings (Try a router reset, port forwarding, or even DMZ setting for your client to test it)
    sometimes you just have some malware on your PC that will screw with your connection constantly, so if you never use any Antivirus maybe its time to do an online check (a good place to start is ANY antivirus company, they all offer free online checks, for example http://housecall.trendmicro.com)

Also bare with me please. I know it probably works fine to play on P99, Live or other stuff, but this server uses very different netcode so it is like comparing apples and oranges. Don't let your flawlessly working P99 account fool you, there might be things amiss on your computer.

You can never totally exclude a local problem unless you do a complete fresh reinstall and only install EQ and anything that's required to run it.

Also, another attendum, there were changes in netcode this morning, so your LD issues might be related to those changes and not to the local changes you made with your uifiles (not saying it cant be the culprit, just don't jump to conclusions)

28. echofinder

echofinder Member

This is where I am at still. Should I not be experiencing this anymore? Are many people experiencing this still. Earlier today it was better but around 9:45 EST it is unplayable more less. I will try cleaning out the UI files and starting fresh to see what that does.

One area that I could use an explanation on is how the eqclient.ini file functions once the initial log in is complete. I have always copied and pasted this into the application support folder before I log in each account to maintain different key strokes per toon. This was never a problem in the past and I wonder if it could be now.

29. Burrito

Burrito New Member

I know they just did a quick reboot of the server to hopefully help. Did they make a post saying when the servers may be up?

30. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Its typically 5-15 minutes. If its expected to be much longer, I'm sure they will let us know ahead of time.