It's not eqmac, but i'll take it!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeklen, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Zeklen

Zeklen Member

Just wanted to offer a big thank you to the staff for your dedication in keeping this game alive. I was hoping against hope that maybe Daybreak games would consider turning the server back on and returning it to profitability, but it seems they have their hands full with current projects and their decisions seem to be consistent, if not even worse than, those made by SOE in the past.

I'm really glad to see this game live on with leadership that has a passion for the game.

Zek

Sturmm likes this.
  2. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Welcome to our world !

Verdent likes this.
  3. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

When the guys are done with the server, it will be better than EQmac was because they can actually make tweaks and fixes.

4. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

"When the guys are done with the server, it will be better than EQmac was because they can actually make tweaks and fixes"

+1

5. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

EQMac was always the red headed step-child of EQ. Sony gave us hardly any love the entire time the server was running. TAKP runs entirely on the love of a few dedicated programmers and staff. You can't stop love like that.

Medrall likes this.
  6. Zeklen

Zeklen Member

I agree Elron, this game seems to have the 1 tool at it's disposal that SOE did not.

I have a good feeling about this game, I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I like the can-and-will-do attitude and philosophy of the people here.

It's just really pathetic that it comes down to some volunteers from a public that cares that has to pull the remnants of the game practically from the ashes to keep it alive. The mistakes of upper management from SOE just astonish me. It's a pretty serious problem when a company can't even find a way to figure out how to collect revenue from a time proven quality product, and it could have been so easy. That kind of incompetence has to come from the top levels and it will doom any company or corporation.

and the fact they just kept the server and code related to the game without releasing or at least doing something with it is unforgiveable.

7. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

A petition to open source the code might be successful, but if Sony is still using any of that code in their current products they will balk. Odds are high that they are still using parts of it in their new games.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

It would be nice if they took a page from Saga of Ryzom and Secondlife. They did pretty well and still are after open source their flagship products.
    Altho, Ryzom changed hands quite a few times, but the game still has a good international following.
    The official server benefits from "free" code submission from the general public.

Altho, hacks are pretty easy to make to exploit the official server, but that is a structuring issue with the server trusting the client too much.
    I knew first hand how nasty one could be in the official server due to the bad code of client being "boss" over the server.

Now on the other hand, Secondlife is structured quite well and the server does not "trust" the client at all.
    It also has been improved upon quite extensively over the years due to public submissions.

9. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I forgot to mention the hardcore group of testers we have. They are the heart and soul of this project.

Tesadar and Speedz like this.