How To: Escaping the Waters of Shadow Haven

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitya, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

As many who are returning to EQ from a very long hiatus and new to boxing, I still have challenges with properly controlling my boxed toons.

I have brought my trio through Shadow Haven (usually on my way to PC) or on a variety of tasks, only to find that one or more of my poor helpless toons has fallen into the strange watery area right when you port from the Nexus into Shadow Haven.

For most casters who falls into the water, this is not a huge problem - you can simply get some nice lungs full of air, swim down and meditate, memorize gate and then gate back to your bind point. But for a melee, it can spell CERTAIN DOOM.

Take my poor Gnome (master race) Shadow Knight. All he wanted to do was kill evil bandits in Paludal Caverns, and a slight miss-step has left him worse for wear:

Now, escaping this watery tomb is actually not that difficult once you figure it out. I've prepared a thorough and comprehensive step-by-step to help even the most clueless adventurer escape this pool of doom:

1. Don't panic. It'll be fine, even if you die - AK is a great place and someone will probably come save/rez you if you ask nicely.

2. Get your other toons/boxes controlled. Sit them down, zone them out, camp them, who cares. Make sure you've got time to focus on this herculean task ahead of you.

3. Swim toward the CORNERS of the pad that you stand on after zoning from Nexus into Shadow Haven (see screenshot 2):

Here is another view, what it might look like from within the water:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Yj_0xeQsgxqAgh7_3H_2_gxMsG3JAcO/view?usp=sharing

4. If you're still having trouble getting out, switch to first person view and look straight up while swimming into the corner, moving back and forth as rapidly as you can. It's hard to explain, but if you're doing it right, you should pop out.

5. Quit playing EQ immediately after smoking tons of weed.

6. Question your life choices.

7. Make a post on the forums to hopefully help others and make them smile.

Good luck! I hope you unfortunate melees can make your way out of this place without much trouble now. Also, these tips tend to work in most bodies of water where you might have trouble escaping. Find a corner near the lowest point and look up and swim into the corner!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Manstache, Mokli, Neealana and 3 others like this.
  2. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

or

Don't play noms

3. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

lol great guide! I also request one for the pond under the big bridge on the way to Paludal and the lava lake in ToV. Both are fun places to fall into.

lurari likes this.
  4. lurari

lurari People Like Me

What about Cobalt Scar?

5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

First they made it so horses drown when they touch water, and now it's just straight up drowning gnomes.
    I think it's obvious what is going on here, but the question is why... why do the devs hate Marie so much?

6. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

How about a guide for escaping the lava lake in NTOV? ;)
    that's where a DA clicky really comes in handy, so you can mem gate or evac. Alternately, you can swim up at the right angle into a corner and avoid the lava damage until a magician is invited to your group. A rune might also allow you to mem spells.

7. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

WTB guide for escaping the lava at the zone in from lavastorm to SolA!

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Dodge dip duck DIVE and dodge. The 5 d's help in eq too

9. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

lol dont be high, problem solved. a classic tale of why drugs are bad mmmkay.

10. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

Just get high enough FR resist that the lava does like 5 damage to you. Become one with the lava, it is your friend.

11. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

No, no. Only the bad drugs are bad. It's no different than having 10 beers and doing the same thing. ;)