Household members, shared ips, connectivity woes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pinoit, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I will try to keep this brief for the sake of clarity.

My husband (forum name Callixtus) and I started playing here in late January. We got up and running without much trial and error, but we have been plagued with connectivity issues (not unlike others as reflected in other posts).

We have tried many different things to circumvent the problem (port forwarding, VPNs), and while some have worked better than others, it was never truly resolved.

Yesterday, something changed. I tried logging on my characters when my husband had all three of his loaded up. Each time I hit the character select screen I was presented with a "You Have Been Disconnected" black screen. We tried several different solutions including enabling/disabling our VPN, rebooting the router, nothing worked until my husband logged off one of his three. Suddenly, I was able to log two of my characters on, but neither of us were able to log on all three.

I am now wondering if our problems stem from the fact that we are both on a shared connection? I have scoured these forums looking for information on this, but I do recall reading something on the old forums about needing to request IP exemptions for family members (spouses, etc.).

My question is, how do we start this process, and is here is such a process in place?

Thanks in advance! We really do enjoy playing here together, along with our distant friend 4 provinces away (yep, we're Canadian!)

2. Callixtus

Callixtus New Member

To add to this if I may.

Disconnections are about 80-90% "zoning" related and 10% is just random disconnects. When using a VPN option, you can't log into Neriak Commons, which caused some headaches about 5 weeks ago when we had characters "stuck" without knowing that it was the vpn that was causing the issue.

So, in order to not disco when running multiple toons, we use a VPN, and when we get to Neriak, we disconnect the VPN to make sure we don't get stuck.

So far though, having a great time!

So..let's talk about Kunark..... :p

Callixtus/Iomadan/Xallithix

3. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Not Neriak Commons... Foreign Quarter is the trouble spot.

4. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

It is requested via rule 12 that prior to making the second forum account based game accounts that a PM is set to me and rob in a conference PM so we can verify/add you to the exemptions thread in the GM section and toggle your game accounts with appropriate exemptions.

I take breaks and don't read all threads right away, so a PM or the chat up top in the menu is the best way to reach me/us.

5. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

The steps weren't very clear on the older forums, and I have to admit I'm still a bit unclear as to how to start a "conference PM". I will try to figure out how to do this now.

As a suggestion for future users, perhaps a form for this kind of thing would be easier for users and administration? If I remember correctly, P99 had a specific forum you would post to, but even that was confusing as posts were not viewable by all parties involved (possibly administration only?--my husband handled it over there so I am speculating, but I was certainly blind to the process).

6. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

We are small enough yet that a personal interaction is still viable for this.
    Maybe later down the road we will come up with another idea. But for now I just have it set up in the rules to contact us/me via PM.
    There are some things that I prefer not to automate and have a direct look into for now :)

Especially since automation may make us overlook bugs in the creation/login process.

7. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

True on the automation thing, and the personal touch is really quite awesome :)