Group Composition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xanthyn, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Xanthyn

Xanthyn Member

Hi Guys,
    In preparation for the new server, I've been considering what sorts of characters to use, given that the policy on Boxing is that there is no limit, but no third party software is allowed. I was wondering if anyone has any input. I'd love to hear some general discussion about how to build a great group, but I also have some more specific questions, if anyone is bored enough to read an answer them.

The most I can comfortably handle using only the in-game 5 line macros, is 6 characters, and I'd like to come up with a group composition that is robust and versatile, and above all, self sufficient. I don't want to rely on HOV and KEI from level one. I also want to be able to sub out toons for other, real players when they come along.

For me, the following attributes are important for my box team to have:

The ability to single pull, and do the traditional tank and spank.

The ability to use non-conventional strategies such as fear kiting, charm tanking, etc.

Group Evacs

Group Teleports

Group speed buffs

Heals

Tracking (for locating quest mobs)

And of course, tons of damage.

on AK, I ran an box team composed of an SK, Chanter, Cleric, Druid, Mage, and Wizzy.

I believe that a Cleric and Enchanter are non-negotiable, but all other characters are up for debate, keeping in mind that I can only have one melee character (as multiple are too hard to box).

Do you guys have any suggestions on alternate comps? Keep in mind that I have never leveled a character to the level cap, so there is much to know about high level content.

The following questions are supplemental, no need to answer them if you dont feel like it: I am wondering if switching the wizard out for a necromancer would help or hinder my overall DPS and utility. I would have one less character capable of teleporting and evacuating, but the necromancer's pet gains increased dps due to the presence of a mage who can keep the pet equipped, and an enchanter that can keep it hasted. Is the wizard's stronger nuking ability, and ability to TP to to certain endgame destinations too good to pass up? Will the Necro do more or less dmg than the Wizzy? Will the Necro block the SK's spells, and reduce his utility? If so, would a less spell redundant tank such as a Warrior be able to hold aggro in the face of all that nuking , as well as my SK could?

Or if that question is too complex, who does more damage- Two wizards, or a necro/mage pair with equipped/hasted pets?

I gladly welcome any input on any random smattering of the questions posed above.
    Thanks, and I hope to see you all in game soon!

2. wharhogg

wharhogg Member

Since this game will be starting long before PoP and no gear per se....warrior tank is just not viable for a boxing combo. I'd go SK and mages /possibly 1 necro for mana x-fer along with your cleric chanter. If you want ports a druid might not be a bad choice for the versatility....and a 2nd healer. Constant pet dps is handy for your dps classes, let the pets do the work for you ...

3. Zetro

Zetro Member

Xanther, just a heads up about these plans. The wording is that boxing is allowed and for the moment not restricted.

In discussions staffers have had with players in-game, via OOC, a limit is under consideration. The numbers I heard tossed around weren't reaching nearly as high as 6. My opinion is we're better off with a limit.

Zetro

4. Xanthyn

Xanthyn Member

The fact that there may be a box limit in the future only makes the group composition question more pertinent IMO. I would love to hear some suggestions on how to accomplish the above with as few as 3 toons, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a limit of 6, but there is already a thread for that discussion, and I will happily follow the rules however they turn out.

5. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Personally I would prefer a limit of 6. A warrior tank will be viable post classic, so I mean if you want one go for it. I believe the goal of limits is to encourage social play but I don't believe people are antisocial because of how many boxes they play, rather its based on the personality at the keyboard.

6. pouky

pouky Active Member

I will be doing as i Always did most likely lol.. that is .. Start a Paladin + Druid + Enchanter ... with the option to add a Magician in later and maybe a rogue but i would just be using that one to scout really ..most likely wont be doing more as 4 .. .. 4 is nice, leaves some room open for friends ). can Always drop a toon if required )

Hugs ,
    Pouky